Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Here? (Warm Spell Discussion)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its a pity some people dont like the warmth. In the office today there was a buzz about the place when someone announced Summer was on its way. And i promptly went and got next Monday off dirol.gif

Posted

Its a pity some people dont like the warmth. In the office today there was a buzz about the place when someone announced Summer was on its way. And i promptly went and got next Monday off dirol.gif

Glad I've booked this week off if the warm-up's next week.

I dug out the holes and concreted in 6 x 8' concrete fence posts and gravel boards in my garden today. If it had been any warmer, or especially any more humid, I don't think i'd have completed it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes I've had to announce it on my facebook and at work - so much excitement there is! Been looking forward to writing that status update for months!

Glad I've booked this week off if the warm-up's next week.

I dug out the holes and concreted in 6 x 8' concrete fence posts and gravel boards in my garden today. If it had been any warmer, or especially any more humid, I don't think i'd have completed it.

If I can 'man up' to -9c on my bike at 0730 on a Monday morning in December then you can 'man up' to a cloudy 21c in July! Except in that I'd be the stronger! :lol:

Posted

Yes I've had to announce it on my facebook and at work - so much excitement there is! Been looking forward to writing that status update for months!

If I can 'man up' to -9c on my bike at 0730 on a Monday morning in December then you can 'man up' to a cloudy 21c in July! Except in that I'd be the stronger! laugh.png

And if you're cold you can wear extra clothing, if I'm hot and covered in sweat I suppose i need an air-conditioned garden?

Posted

And if you're cold you can wear extra clothing, if I'm hot and covered in sweat I suppose i need an air-conditioned garden?

There is NO escape from heat and humidity, trying to do work and everyday activities becomes unbearable. Drained,tired,sweaty and irritable,head starting to pound,tempers rising,blinding sunlight. Awful. I dared to dream that this wonderfully dull and wet summer might have lasted until autumn began in earnest,but it's looking like those dreams have been shattered. I really ought to have known better.

Oh give it a rest, please. You've had 3.5 months of really cool and wet weather with little sun. So much so, it has been breaking records - in a good way for you.

Give us a break for a week, you'll cope - and being in Yorkshire, you're almost guaranteed the weather will be rubbish (or for you, good) again very shortly,of that i'm sure. Let that thought help you cope with shock horror possibility of 25 degrees for a couple of days. Or maybe move to the North of Scotland if you can't deal with the well known tropical south Yorkshire climate.

Edited by jamesay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You can indeed wear extra clothing but on a bike its more a case of boiling in sweat internally under your layers whilst your extremities turn to frozen lumps of flesh. Winter cycling is not fun in general especially if there's black ice about (had one or two nasty falls on that stuff before). Then add traffic and darkness... not fun.

Do understand though - doing heavy work in humid conditions can be tough but like the tough winter cycling you just gotta deal with it (and then moan about it on a forum to feel better!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

BBC has upgraded quite a bit, 31-32*C next week.. but cloudy... damn azores. We really need a Euro high for some decent summery weather.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

There is NO escape from heat and humidity, trying to do work and everyday activities becomes unbearable. Drained,tired,sweaty and irritable,head starting to pound,tempers rising,blinding sunlight. Awful. I dared to dream that this wonderfully dull and wet summer might have lasted until autumn began in earnest,but it's looking like those dreams have been shattered. I really ought to have known better.

I gotta say you put my November rants to shame you really do!

Posted

I think I might have jinxed the warm weather,

for here anyway

just posted on facebook about the predicted 31c by the bbc

it will probably be cloudy and 21c instead now

oh dear, I will get a lynching

Posted

If you really think it'll work, please post some more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

for here anyway

oh dear, I will get a lynching

Fear not. BBC weather show an upper limit of 32c for next Thursday for London. I know thats the highest predicted value but nice to see anyway.

Posted

BBC has upgraded quite a bit, 31-32*C next week.. but cloudy... damn azores. We really need a Euro high for some decent summery weather.

I very much doubt it will reach 31-32C if it's cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I've found that in some recent poor summers, especially those with a dull/wet June, it is normally the late July period that brings the sunny warm weather. Last year and 2008 spring to mind, although I would like it to continue in to August this time, unlike in those years.

Always nice to have any sunny spell running over the weekend for a true summer feel, out in the garden with friends and a few beers. Hopefully we get that because it will be autumn before we know it.

It could be we get 2 months of summer weather, September can be clear sunny and hot but colder nights, what will be nice is warmer evenings, it was humid on tuesday and felt very warm but turned quite chilly in the evening.

Oh I do hope this warm and dry spell can hang on into the first few days of August! I'm heading south for a short holiday with some friends! It looks good at the moment - average temps and drier than average conditions currently modelled for the SE for the beginning of August. I'm sure there will be some changes though!

Finally, some promising weather smile.png

The signs are there that a pattern change is likely, this being summer as we expect it to be, not that there will be weeks of dry weather, there would be some wetter period, and of course thunderstorms/downpours always likely, but i see more high pressure for the weeks ahead especially in the south.

On the BBC news front page i see the article entitled 'Warm weather on the way' is the most read article. This must be the most anticipated long awaited warm spell in history. The way the models are looking i would say that 30c is a distinct possibility early next week. Before that its such a relief to have a weekend of reliable weather. Weekends so far have only seen one day at best that is good for spending time outdoors. However this Saturday and Sunday look equally as good. Rather winds on west facing coasts on Sunday though but it will be a very warm day on eastern coasts.

Most areas need a dry spell now, it's amazing to think back to when rain was urgently needed!

We can get 32C with cloud, but proberly would need sunny skies through most of the day in most cases though. The image below(still from video) i think was August2005, hit 95f about 35C(Surrey)

post-11361-0-38281500-1342570562_thumb.j

and this was taken during a cloudy late afternoon!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Taking a look at the upper temperatures at 850 hpa from ECM(12z)

--

Sunday

12072212_2_1712.gif

Monday

12072312_2_1712.gif

Tuesday

12072412_2_1712.gif

Wednesday

12072512_2_1712.gif

Thursday

12072612_2_1712.gif

Friday

12072712_2_1712.gif

Warm/hot especially in the south next week and humid

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I very much doubt it will reach these temperatures at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some very warm maxes showing now for Jersey next week

Monday 25°C - sunny

Tuesday 32°C - sunny spells

Wednesday 32°C - sunny

Thursday 30°C - sunny spells

Friday 26°C - sunny spells

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3042091

London also has some very warm maxes

Monday 26°C - cloudy

Tuesday 29°C - sunny spells

Wednesday 31°C - sunny spells

Thursday 32°C - sunny spells

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

Posted

Really looking forward to this incoming warm spell - everyones on about it at work!

My garden can't wait!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Right enough, barrie. I usually enjoy fine, warm, settled weather, but 32C with frightening levels of humidity? No thanks!

Posted

I hope we don't get what the ECM 00z shows in FI which is an Abores high sitting to our west feeding down N/NW winds. I feel the Azores high is over-rated as it's usually a hindrance rather than a help, apart from perhaps often partly cloudy ridges over the country, unless it moves over us or to the east where it's not really an Azores high anymore.

Monday 25°C - sunny

Wednesday 32°C - sunny

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3042091

London also has some very warm maxes

Monday 26°C - cloudy

Tuesday 29°C - sunny spells

Wednesday 31°C - sunny spells

Thursday 32°C - sunny spells

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

That's the maximum possible max in the range of possibilities shown, similarly those forecasts suggest the possibility that max could be in the high teens. e.g 'highest temperature 18-32C' suggests the max anywhere in that range, showing a lot of uncertainty. I'd guess these further ahead forecasts are put together by using ensembles or something like that.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Monday 25°C - sunny

Wednesday 32°C - sunny

I'll be in Jersey next week so it looks like, out of the weeks of the Summer to pick, we got the hottest one!

Posted

Don't think I can ever remember a potential change in the weather being given such prominence by the BBC news before and am a bit puzzled by it. Headlines like 'UK set for dry, warm weather', whatever the caveats in the report, will suggest to people we are in for a prolonged, country wide heatwave. Now, while it seems certain now that things will improve in the next week, people much more knowledgeable than myself on here are suggesting it will be no means that clear cut.

I'm sure the met office themselves would prefer more caution, so is there pressure from other sources or are they just trying to cheer us up? (sorry, sorry, cheer those of us up who like dry, warm weather).