Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Here? (Warm Spell Discussion)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A reliable data source for your 95% would help to verify your claim and the reduction in daylight was enthused for late summer, not just yet.

Make a poll on Net Weather, you'll find that a good 95% of the board will vote against constant low pressure systems crashing in from the Atlantic every blooming day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

GFS-18z-Jet stream+SLP

First chart is yesterday,

12071518_2_1518.gif

Wednesday,

12071815_2_1518.gif

and last is for 23rd July,

12072318_2_1518.gif

Next is the Thickness 850/1000/SLP,

First is for yesterday.

12071521_2_1518.gif

then 23rd July(as last Jet chart),

12072318_2_1518.gif

What a difference! After more heavy rainfall this week with flooding, the Jet moves north taking the Atlantic lows and persistant rainfall to the far north with high pressure building in from the south/sw, bringing more prolonged dry and warm air or maybe very warm, without the Atlantic fronts

So signs of the Jet stream pattern changing and allowing more high pressure to set in, what i see with the long range signals is a change that is for more prolonged summer weather.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

its supposed to be bone dry at this time of year

Are you 'avin a laugh?! This is the UK we are talking about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Bone dry is probably a overstatement but we should be mostly dry on average at this time of the year with showers and thunderstorms making up the rainfall, frontal rainfall is rather rare for the southeast but this year obviously not!

I'm surprised that the coldies hate the summer so much, surely being able to go out and do things, seeing kids play outside and being able to go camping, festivals etc without the need to worry about mud and rain etc should be enough of an incentive? Maybe you lot knocking summer are boring and don't get out much, sorry but I don't understand it - everyone has preferences but it being cool and wet all the time is incredibly boring and rubbish!

Posted

Summer is horrible and that's that. If I had to explain why, I might as well try explaining why falling into a vat of boiling sewage would be equally unpleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I think we are long overdue a change and some sunshine would be most welcome! It doesnt look like it will get really hot anywhere, just pleasant... perfect! May I also say that we are only three weeks from mid summer!

Enjoy the sunshine when it arrives.... I know I will be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think that 'horrible' might be a bit of an overstatement, barrie. But, nonetheless, I'm quite enjoying the relatively low temperatures, myself...Mind you, I'll also enjoy any higher temperatures - should they ever materialize...

Posted

As I say, it is a real shame that some seemingly can't enjoy the best of all the seasons. A pleasantly warm summer's day or a beautifully crisp clear winter's morning - both make me feel happy to be alive.

There's little that is unpleasant about summer (barring heat and humidity). One could argue that it's the person who holds such views that is unpleasant.

Aye, but why would one want to??

Posted

The beeb are showing 31c and some sun for St Helier on the 25th with 28c on the 24th

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3042091

good.gif

I think that's a maximum in the range 16 to 31 that they're suggesting, and a minimum of 11 to 18. Not so exciting if the outcome's at the lower end of the range...

post-5431-0-06993100-1342429225_thumb.jp

Posted

I think that's a maximum in the range 16 to 31 that they're suggesting, and a minimum of 11 to 18. Not so exciting if the outcome's at the lower end of the range...

Talk about 'pinning it down'!

Posted

There's little that is unpleasant about summer (barring heat and humidity). One could argue that it's the person who holds such views that is unpleasant.

But whenever rain,snow,ice,wind,thunder and dare I say it a bit of cloud are in the forecast,the teevee people will tell you how unpleasant,awful etc it is. Each to their own an' all that, but why is it OK to like one and not the other? Maybe us summer-shunners are seen as being a little,er,weird but that's how it is. How else do you explain train-spotters? Are they unpleasant people,too? And I do get out a lot in summer, unfortunately. That's mostly down to necessity and other folk insisting that we must do this and must do that "because it's nice outside". Nice for them perhaps - nice for me would be a howling gale and horizontal rain,when I gladly go out while others fester in front of the teevee moaning etc. Sheesh,some people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Oh I love summer when there's torrential downpours; thunder, lightning etc BUT a great big HP sat over us does nothing for me....I don't like heat, I don't like humidity, I don't like it light for 20 hours of the day and I really don't like having to face men with their sunburnt moobs and beer gut hanging out for all to see, wreaking of 2 day old body odour.

And the "far too much information" award goes to.....................Crewe Coldgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Make a poll on Net Weather, you'll find that a good 95% of the board will vote against constant low pressure systems crashing in from the Atlantic every blooming day!

And 95% would probably vote against anything above 30C, too. Maybe most would like the odd heatwave for interest, considering this is a weather forum, but it's not really conductive for doing vigorous outdoor activities. A bit like -30C would be utterly pointless (not that it's even remotely likely in the UK).

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I must be one of very few who loves summer and winter, and everything inbetween. Think it's a real shame there are some who can't appreciate more than one season.

I am a lover of four season climates. I don't mind the odd hot day purely for interest, and to spark off some juicy thunderstorms, but I don't enjoy it (even though I can definitely tolerate it without complaint), and will take overcast and 16C any day over sunny and 30C. Sunny and 22C is completely different, because i find it very pleasant. In fact my ideal summer's day would be partly cloudy and 22C with low dew points and little wind.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Blatently obvious the GFS will be right and the ECM wrong, 850hPa uppers between June - August here are impossible these days :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'd probably agree - a majority of folks don't want a lot of heat but as it is so rare in the UK its not worth worrying about. Its like dreading bank holidays which are rares as hens teeth!

A lot of 'heat dread' that some get probably comes down to your house and how hot it gets. A modern insulated British home isn't designed for warm weather whereas a sturdy Victorian place will do well (but horribly cold in winter!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt that the proportion who are against >30C would be as high as 95%, probably nearer 50%, but it would certainly rise as the temperature threshold rises. It's a similar story with snow- contrary to popular perception, I reckon that close to 50% of the population aren't averse to the odd brief snowfall, but that percentage of course rises when you consider prolonged snowy weather.

I do sympathise with Laserguy regarding value judgements on the weather. My preferences are nothing like as "unusual" as his at this time of year, but when I'm enjoying a spell of warm sunshine interspersed with thundery showers, I tend not to react well to hearing it described almost apologetically as "dire and unsettled with rain or showers".

Of course, though, during this summer so far that type of weather has been almost as elusive as warm dry sunny weather!

Posted

I don't need to "make a poll" I didn't quote baseless figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Is it possible to discuss the possiblity of summer returning i.e what peoples hopes or expectations are. I dont recall any cold spell discussion during the winter ending up like this, or warm lovers saying how much they hate the cold. It was 100% discussion about the upcoming cold spell.

Posted

But even the possiblity of 31c is getting me rather excited. But it seems to me that they like to predict the greatest possible range of temperature outcomes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

But even the possiblity of 31c is getting me rather excited. But it seems to me that they like to predict the greatest possible range of temperature outcomes.

Perhaps this is the reason?

post-8895-0-06684200-1342436879_thumb.pn

Posted

Perhaps this is the reason?

post-8895-0-06684200-1342436879_thumb.pn

Jersey would be the favoured spot for some very high temperatures there with winds coming straight off France without travelling over any water at all.

Posted

Is it possible to discuss the possiblity of summer returning i.e what peoples hopes or expectations are. I dont recall any cold spell discussion during the winter ending up like this, or warm lovers saying how much they hate the cold. It was 100% discussion about the upcoming cold spell.

Here here! I was hoping to get some analysis on what the thoughts were only to listen to yet another thread about preferences.

Without studying the models in any depth I notice the 7 day forecast for my local area sees an increase in pressure towards day 7 and winds from a more southerly direction.