Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Here? (Warm Spell Discussion)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

There are indications of more summery weather as we head through July especially across southern areas, the signals look good and i am confident that we will see high pressure, bringing sunshine.

So here we keep track of this potential for warm and dry weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Countrytracks forecast highlighted nicely the start of the settled spell on Friday with fewer showers around and temperatures 19-20c over a wide area. By the look of some charts i'm seeing we could be nudging into the mid 20s by Sunday.

Posted

Here we go - I knew this summer was too good to last. Sigh. Looking forward to autumn rain and gales but no doubt October will actually be high summer.

Posted

I suppose it was inevitable at some stage that the boring HP would dominate.

On the plus side, the likely clearer skies should accentuate the effect of the reduction in daylight hours during August so that should be enjoyable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Here we go - I knew this summer was too good to last. Sigh. Looking forward to autumn rain and gales but no doubt October will actually be high summer.

But at least by then there'll be considerably less daylight, that's an irrevocable fact.

Posted

But at least by then there'll be considerably less daylight, that's an irrevocable fact.

True - and the potentially most depressing ( in terms of a combo of light levels and heat ) period of the year has been and gone, phew! Have you noticed the nights drawing out at both ends yet,TM? I have - it's wonderful.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

True - and the potentially most depressing ( in terms of a combo of light levels and heat ) period of the year has been and gone, phew! Have you noticed the nights drawing out at both ends yet,TM? I have - it's wonderful.

I have LG, especially in the last two weeks. My favorite time of the year when the countdown begins towards Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not a big fan of boring HP scenarios and heat. TBH though we're getting to the time of year where it no longer bothers me as much as I can rest in the knowledge that by the end of July the nights are rapidly drawing in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes indeed. I have a printed sheet with the sunrise and sunset times for my exact latitude and refer to it daily to see how many minutes have been eroded at each end of the day. Tend not too look at it as much in April and May though!

I've a feeling that any dry, sunny and warm weather will be transitory, apart perhaps from in the far south, but I doubt it will be as cool and wet in the remaining 6 weeks as it's been so far this summer.

One must never lose hope though.

Posted

Goodness me what a cheerful bunch you lot are hijacking what should be a positive thread heralding the first proper warm spell of the year.

Posted

this thread has been taken over by the coldies, they are getting a bit too carried away, about the days getting shorter and temps dropping etc, its the middle of summer there is plenty of time to go until the days are very short and winter arrives, its like heat fans getting excited about summer in january

Posted

Agreed, it's like the summer lovers celebrating the longer days in mid January! A long long way to go if you're looking for cold weather, especially if we have a repeat of last autumn and December. Still loads of time for warm/hot conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Goodness me what a cheerful bunch you lot are hijacking what should be a positive thread heralding the first proper warm spell of the year.

Indeed Millhouse. I think we might have stumbled onto NW's very-own vampire colony? I can almost hear you sharpening your fangs, barrie!laugh.png

Anyhoo, don't tell that Van Helsing chap, will you? He's been known to get a uppity at times like these...ph34r.png

Posted

First proper warm spell of the year? What was the end of May?

Yes i realised that. I should have said summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not enough though yet, but generally after Wimbledon it does tend to get gradually cooler, unless of course get a southerly airstream, getting dark a bit earlier but I like it dark usually at 4pm

Posted

Agreed, it's like the summer lovers celebrating the longer days in mid January! A long long way to go if you're looking for cold weather, especially if we have a repeat of last autumn and December. Still loads of time for warm/hot conditions.

I can remember a plethora of occasions in mid January when certain sunloving forum members were harping on about how they were noticing the lengthening daylight. I for one dislike the summer season, it's just my preference; though I can understand and empathise with the views of the sun lovers amongst the forum.

Posted

Whilst for the majority of us it would be nice to experience something summery, for many people a fine end of the summer is essential to rescue whats been a very poor summer. For many sectors of the economy the recent wet conditoons have been very damaging. Not to mention all the events that have been cancelled. The Great Yorkshire Show was one such event to fall victim to the weather and that must have cost the rural economy tens of thousands of pounds in lost revenue. Even if these events go ahead its no fun trudging around muddy fields in wellies when its supposed to be bone dry at this time of year.

It only reached 19c today but i was out at hornsea today on the East Yorkshire coast and it was good to see it fairly busy and there was a general positive vibe about things and i bet everyone was pleased just to get a bit of summery weather for once. The seafront traders must really be suffering so far this summer with most weekends been very poor weather wise so today must have been a very welcome boost.

So a good summer isnt just nice to experience, its essential to keep businesses going that rely on a steady infulx of tourists through the summer season. I hope that for their sake, the rest of the Summer is much better. Theres northing worse than seeing a deserted seafront in Summer with rain lashing down.

Posted

I can remember a plethora of occasions in mid January when certain sunloving forum members were harping on about how they were noticing the lengthening daylight.

Given you cant do much weather observing when its dark i assume quite a lot of people crave the lighter nights.

Anyway, i digress. Looking at the models tonight the answer to the question of this thread is a tentative 'yes'.

Posted

I must be one of very few who loves summer and winter, and everything inbetween. Think it's a real shame there are some who can't appreciate more than one season.

Oh I love summer when there's torrential downpours; thunder, lightning etc BUT a great big HP sat over us does nothing for me....I don't like heat, I don't like humidity, I don't like it light for 20 hours of the day and I really don't like having to face men with their sunburnt moobs and beer gut hanging out for all to see, wreaking of 2 day old body odour.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I really can't believe that when the first signs of any sort of good weather is starting to show, it gets completely played down & hijacked by those who are constantly seeking cloud and rain... we all have our preferences, but seriously, get a grip! You'll find that the other 95% of the UK would like to enjoy some summer warmth and sunshine without being constantly reminded of the prospect of less daylight (which is hardly noticeable yet).

So please, let us enjoy a bit of summer without whining, and make this post the last off-topic post in the thread, and keep it to the targeted subject? This being SUMMER (heat & warmth)

Rant over.

High pressure is ridging in from the South tomorrow giving southern areas a little less shower activity, although there are still fronts and whatnot crossing from the west, so not looking too good just yet.

Afterwards there's a good trend for a taste of summer, at least for a time as the jet stream goes on holiday to the north, or north of the UK for a while, a westerly regime is looking likely, and with it being over the Atlantic, there's likely to be a lot of cloud trapped in the high for a time, although there should be some sunshine at least, more so in the SE where the highest temperatures will likely be. Signs that low pressure may make a return in FI, but with the jet still up north, it won't take much for the Azores High to make it's return to settle things down again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I know there are a fair number of members (though only a small percentage of the total) who prefer cool, cloudy and/or wet summers but I was surprised to see their dominance of the previous page lol! Well, a surprise is often good I guess.

My preference is, well, pretty much anything featuring both sunshine and potent convective precipitation, but dry with plenty of sunshine is a strong second preference, so I won't be complaining if the high gets far north enough to bring plenty of sunshine, especially after what we've been having recently. I do sometimes find high pressure setups boring after a while (depending on the specifics of the setup) but then again the cyclonic regime has brought a pretty staggering amount of non-descript weather recently, so it's unlikely to be any more boring (from my perspective) than what we've been having recently anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I do like some dry and pleasantly warm weather but not great heat.

These last few weeks have been difficult for golf-i am constantly drying shoes off and carrying rain gear and a brolly.

Like others i miss spending some chill out time in the garden-just sitting and having a drink or snack with the sun shining.

I do hope the approaching pattern change does yield a much brighter and warmer second half to Summer.

Posted

I really can't believe that when the first signs of any sort of good weather is starting to show, it gets completely played down & hijacked by those who are constantly seeking cloud and rain... we all have our preferences, but seriously, get a grip! You'll find that the other 95% of the UK would like to enjoy some summer warmth and sunshine without being constantly reminded of the prospect of less daylight (which is hardly noticeable yet).

So please, let us enjoy a bit of summer without whining, and make this post the last off-topic post in the thread, and keep it to the targeted subject? This being SUMMER (heat & warmth)

Rant over.

High pressure is ridging in from the South tomorrow giving southern areas a little less shower activity, although there are still fronts and whatnot crossing from the west, so not looking too good just yet.

Afterwards there's a good trend for a taste of summer, at least for a time as the jet stream goes on holiday to the north, or north of the UK for a while, a westerly regime is looking likely, and with it being over the Atlantic, there's likely to be a lot of cloud trapped in the high for a time, although there should be some sunshine at least, more so in the SE where the highest temperatures will likely be. Signs that low pressure may make a return in FI, but with the jet still up north, it won't take much for the Azores High to make it's return to settle things down again.

A reliable data source for your 95% would help to verify your claim and the reduction in daylight was enthused for late summer, not just yet.

Posted

i love the darker nights tbh, but for gods sakes i don't hardly take notice of the very slightly shorter days in mid july and im not interested in it getting darker earlier till about end of september, those who are sad enough to count the very slow difference in daylight atm, are just weird, plus those who say they like rain and cold, obviously don't go out much, you try getting soaked to the skin 4 days on the trot like i have, you will soon change your mind then, on the flip side to much heat is not nice, but whats wrong with plenty of sun and 23c ?

Edited by Snowy Easterly