Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - July 12th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here we go an nice new one for whatever the next few days may bring....please continue here !

link to the previous thread http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73810-south-east-england-east-anglia-regional-discussion-july-7th-2012/

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Left the house just before 0500 this morning, felt more like mid autumn than mid summer

Posted

Cold for July, but the sunshine, as brief as it is, is a welcome relief from the depressing rain.

Posted

Well I thought I was dreaming when I woke up to blue sky and sunshine this morning, a perfect beginning to the day here even thought it was a cool start it's warming up nicely now..

.. and the best bit is I'm not working until 16:00hrs so I can get out and enjoy the sun while it lasts, which probably won't be long but hey ho two weeks today I will be enjoying some decent temperatures and at least 10 hours of sunshine a day cool.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin everyone. Sunshine and blue skies at mo in Ipswich; but with a very autumnal feel and it's chilly. Looks like some bad stuff over Cornwall on radar.

Posted

10.6c last night, coolest in a while. Lovely sunny morning, not so for the SW however looking at the radar!

Posted

Morning folks - lovely start here in SW London. Chilly night though - a low of 9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all.

Decent start to the day, although a bit of cumulus is bubbling up. I guess this thread won't be so active today.smile.png

Posted

@Surrey. For some reason I can't watch your vid as it keeps sticking. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Nice garden though. :) I'll try later on lap top as I use an iPad.

Posted

i think i better make the most off our one day summer get the garden done look out west on the radar its looking very wet TV this morning was saying we could easily get 1nch -2 inches of rain 2 night

Posted

i think i better make the most off our one day summer get the garden done look out west on the radar its looking very wet TV this morning was saying we could easily get 1nch -2 inches of rain 2 night

I just looked and that rain is fairly rattling in towards us quicker than I thought too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I just looked and that rain is fairly rattling in towards us quicker than I thought too!!

I think it's meant to stall slightly which will slow it down as soon as it hits the Midlands hence the high rainfall totals predicted.

Running the NAE model there seems to be a little feature hugging the Thames which could give local totals to 60mm, a Thames streamer perhaps?

I think it's meant to stall slightly which will slow it down as soon as it hits the Midlands hence the high rainfall totals predicted.

Running the NAE model there seems to be a little feature hugging the Thames which could give local totals to 60mm, a Thames streamer perhaps?

Don't say that please! We have had so much rain from all these showers and I live within 2 miles of the Thames :S

Posted

Noooooooooo, go away rain....it's lovely here today nonono.gif

Not looking forward to Friday and Saturday's slow moving heavy rain - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?regionName=ee&from=rss&sn=3C1C6EED-6FE9-0A10-5C83-706DE72D176B_5_EE

Posted

I only want a Thames Streamer in winter thanks:)

Posted

Please sir, what is a Thames Streamer? :)

Posted

Please sir, what is a Thames Streamer? smile.png

As far as I know it's because of the shape of the Thames Estuary you get a convergence line meaning that the winds tend to converge along a line - there is a good chance of a Thames Streamer if winds are in a ENE-WSW direction, but I think it also depends on other things such as air mass types and such, but I'm sure someone who is cleverer than me will be able to give you a proper answer later on though !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Unless I'm misinterpreting it, I don't think you'd normally get one in Summer?

Basically it's caused by cold air moving over a warmer body of water and this warmer water then causing convection, which then creates showers, like the classic snow showers around exposed coasts in winter.

If the wind stays in the same direction, these showers can be continuous and can give appreciable snowfalls in favoured areas (although this can be very localised) because the source of convection isn't quickly cut off (it takes a long time for a large body of water to cool)

This effect can be very pronounced on the great lakes of North America, where it's called "lake effect snow."

As far as I know it's because of the shape of the Thames Estuary you get a convergence line meaning that the winds tend to converge along a line - there is a good chance of a Thames Streamer if winds are in a ENE-WSW direction, but I think it also depends on other things such as air mass types and such, but I'm sure someone who is cleverer than me will be able to give you a proper answer later on though !

Okay, if it's caused by a convergence zone, then I'm misinterpreting.

Guest archiesmummy

Please sir, what is a Thames Streamer? :)

If you like lots of snow, its something that in the winter gets us lot reaching for the Prozac watching if it comes off or not! ;)

Posted

I don't know the technicalities of what one is - Steve Murr may be your man for that. For me it just means good chances for loads of snowfall in winter, as the Thames basically becomes a self-renewing source of snow. The best example is Feb 2009 which delivered fantastic deep snow to the Surbiton area, and most of Thames estuary I believe and beyond. I understand a good Thames Streamer can deliver snow as far west as Bristol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

It's when a line of winds converge together and channel down the Thames estuary bringing showers. The moisture is picked up from the sea and as soon as the air from the land hits that moisture it forms a line of showers perfectly situated in the Thames and can last all day as long as the wind direction favours the stream. The term is mostly heard in the winter but it can happen in the summer.

Posted

Thanks for all your replies folks. :) I'm still on a learning curve round here. It's lovely and warm and sunny here in Ippy. Waiting for rain to arrive later on. Might there be some......ah, you know....that flashy bangy stuff we all crave. :D