Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Competition To Find Longest Consecutive Dry Spell

Posted

I don't wish to boast, but barring a late shower, I look set to record a day with nil, yes, I repeat, nil rainfall today.

This made me wonder, from those of us who keep weather records, who can provide the longest run since 1 June of no rainfall?

The problem is that there is absolute zero (which with my primitive equipment is somewhat hard to judge) and then the more usually used yardstick of less than 0.5mm being regarded as a 'dry' day ie 'near dry'.

Looking at my records I have:

5 'near dry' consecutive days - 25-29 June; and

2 'absolute dry' days - 19-20 June.

Anyone care to beat either of those? The prize is simply bragging rights for having a slightly less terrible summer than other participants!

I'd be interested to know in what location the 'winner' will live. I would go for NW Scotland, perhaps Outer Hebrides, which is nearest to the evil Greenland/Iceland HP. However, I'm realistic enough to suspect that given that that part of the country is not heavily populated, that's only likely in the unlikely event that someone from round there sees this and posts.

Anyone care to take part, whether you can beat me or not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'm on about 10 consecutive minutes... should I start checking the water levels?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Managed 2 consecutive absolutely dry days. But apart from that I've had no consecutive dry days since the May hot spell. Even as a cool and wet summer lover I find that quite depressing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Had 4 consecutive bone dry days last month from Tuesday 25th June and the day before only had less than 1mm

Posted

The duration of any dry spell will also depend on whether your day runs from midnight to midnight, or from 0900 to 0900 g.m.t as under Met' Office regulations. Also, 0.2 mm is the lower limit for recording a 'rain day'.

Based on Met' Office criteria the longest dry spell here so far this summer is 2 days, which occurred twice in June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The longest dry spell this summer here was 4 days between 17 June and 20 June.

And, I know it isn't summer, but I had 10 consecutive dry days in May ;)

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

We had a half decent period with no rain between 25-28th June.

Temps were decent too,

25/6 21.0

26/6 24.5

27/6 24.7

28/6 28.6

29/6 22.7

30/6 22.0

In fact looking at my records the last day that didn't hit 20c was 22/6. Not too bad.

I'm Chelmsford Essex

We also had a 12 day dry period in May, we normally have 20 days a month dry so it's been wet, 2010 July had just 3 days with precipitation.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Only two days without any recordable rain in June.

11 days without any recordable rain in May though.

Posted

What's the prize???? unsure.png

Posted

10-12th inclusive of June here although it did rain in the 09-09 period, like around 0500BST on the13th

In May no rain from 20-29th inclusive

April I managed 2 lots of 2

March=8-16th and 19-31

so plenty of dry days this year in spite of the rainfall being above average so far

Posted

What's the prize???? unsure.png

As I said, just bragging rights.......my summer's not quite as miserable as yours!

I think that we just have to run with how the individual records it, as if you're consistent it's fair enough.

May answer's don't count (due to a. it not being meterological summer and b. there was a long dry spell).

So we have locations in Essex, Surrey (near where I used to live, actually) and South Yorks beating me for the bone dry record, but I don't think anyone's challenged my 5-day 'near dry' record.

Any offers?

Edited by Weather Boy

Posted

As I said, just bragging rights.......my summer's not quite as miserable as yours!

I think that we just have to run with how the individual records it, as if you're consistent it's fair enough.

May answer's don't count (due to a. it not being meterological summer and b. there was a long dry spell).

So we have locations in Essex, Surrey (near where I used to live, actually) and South Yorks beating me for the bone dry record, but I don't think anyone's challenged my 5-day 'near dry' record.

Any offers?

It does of course depend on exactly what 'near dry' means?

Posted

Damn - I only saw the first 4 words of this on the front page and thought agh this is perfect for me... then I read the last 3 when I opened the thread and....rofl.gif

Posted

It does of course depend on exactly what 'near dry' means?

Well, I suggested in my opening post <0.5mm. I believe (but you will know better than me John) that because of the difficulty in measuring extremely small amounts of rain, METO take a very low figure such as 0.5mm and say that anything below that is a 'dry' day.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The duration of any dry spell will also depend on whether your day runs from midnight to midnight, or from 0900 to 0900 g.m.t as under Met' Office regulations. Also, 0.2 mm is the lower limit for recording a 'rain day'.

Based on Met' Office criteria the longest dry spell here so far this summer is 2 days, which occurred twice in June.

Same here, 2 days of trace rain on the 18th and 19th June. Currently in a relatively dry spell, with just 2.3mm in 3 days. Also had another moslty dry interlude from June 24th to 27th (4 days) with a total of just 1.7mm.

Posted

surely near dry doesn't count, it's either been dry or not blum.gif

Posted

0.2mm is the lowest one can record, a trace is the next lowest, I'm sure TM will give us the exact rule as it is now. I have forgotten!

Posted

so weather boy's 5 near dry days don't count then, making me the gold medalist lol

Actually Heathrow Airport had 5 dry days that same week, so i've been beaten by someone's luggage at Terminal 5

Posted

My longest period in the June-July period so far is 5 days from June 25th-29th when 2 of those days had 1mm thanks to short sharp showers.

Posted

No more than 2 consecutive dry days here this "summer"sleep.png

1st & 2nd June, 10th & 11th June and 5th & 6th July.

Managed 12 days in May (19th - 30th) and would have had 21 in March (10th-30th) had it not been for an annoying fall of 0.6mm on the 19th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

probably 2-3 days normally tues to thurs, dry spells seem to end on fridays, with friday 20th looking wet

Posted

I live in Fort William and i had no recordable rainfall until the 10 th of June. May was also very dry. See my recent post in the regional thread for more on our dry spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Been over 14 days since it last rained another 7 days of dry sunny whether is a given if i can dodge any rogue storms.

Posted

I don't wish to boast, but barring a late shower, I look set to record a day with nil, yes, I repeat, nil rainfall today.

This made me wonder, from those of us who keep weather records, who can provide the longest run since 1 June of no rainfall?

The problem is that there is absolute zero (which with my primitive equipment is somewhat hard to judge) and then the more usually used yardstick of less than 0.5mm being regarded as a 'dry' day ie 'near dry'.

Looking at my records I have:

5 'near dry' consecutive days - 25-29 June; and

2 'absolute dry' days - 19-20 June.

Anyone care to beat either of those? The prize is simply bragging rights for having a slightly less terrible summer than other participants!

I'd be interested to know in what location the 'winner' will live. I would go for NW Scotland, perhaps Outer Hebrides, which is nearest to the evil Greenland/Iceland HP. However, I'm realistic enough to suspect that given that that part of the country is not heavily populated, that's only likely in the unlikely event that someone from round there sees this and posts.

i was just thinking the same - i don't think we have had more than 5 or 6 dry days since the start of June.

Posted

My longest period in the June-July period so far is 5 days from June 25th-29th when 2 of those days had 1mm thanks to short sharp showers.

So the showers didn't contain rain then....rofl.gif