Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Only Another 7 Weeks Until...

Posted

Theres a very high chance of this winter been bitterly cold.

Something on par if not colder than December 2010 is distinctly possible.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What is certain is the Jet will shift north at some point now for how long is anyones guess what happens during this coming winter is frankly anyones guess at this stage, before we think about winter there is still the rest of this summer and Autumn to go yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer sunshine/winter snow

Yes agree, but am really bored of this weather,it goes on and on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Why do you say that, CR?

Posted

only another seven weeks till we get a big fat euro high sitting over us which will stick around till next spring

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

and your reasons please rather than hope casting?

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

I would not be too confident with that prediction.

I have known many an August that has turned out to be a damp squib!

Heheh, too many times has that happened!

I see what you mean but I'm sure, somewhere in the UK, the temperature will rise above 30 next month and will be just a touch higher than the hottest temperature in Autumn.

I could be very wrong though.

This year so far has just been an exact repeat of 2007 (except for April in which 2007 was really hot in April. Still though, this year of course we had good weather in March)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

We have a rubbish summer and then the jet stream will fly north giving us a rubbish winter... thats England for you rubbish at everything, football, weather, money. need I go on?

Unfortunatley thats the way it is. If I could move to the northern united states (minnesota way) I would but there immigration laws are ludicrous! Cold to Very Cold winters with a Hot summer! yes please!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

We have a rubbish summer and then the jet stream will fly north giving us a rubbish winter... thats England for you rubbish at everything, football, weather, money. need I go on?

Unfortunatley thats the way it is. If I could move to the northern united states (minnesota way) I would but there immigration laws are ludicrous! Cold to Very Cold winters with a Hot summer! yes please!!!

Summer '08?

'09?

'10?

There is no evidence for that interpretation of the jet stream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Only 10 weeks until night hours are longer than daylightsmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Yes, it sounds like fun, but it isnt.

You will be holed up in doors for five months of the year, unable even to go out for a stroll into town for half an hour or in the park. You will be dead if you tried it on a windy day and its soo, so boring wrapping yourself up with three layers and mits so big you cant use your hands and head gear so thick you cant hear anything. Takes ten minutes to get dressed for a ten minute stint outside....so you just wont bother.

Summer sounds great too, only when its really hot you will run from an airconed room to the car's aircon and it will be too hot to walk anywhere or exert yourself doing much. so you will simply walk the mall in a controlled climate most of the year. Oh ....and then theres hundreds and hundreds of square miles of nothing.

No ocean, no forrests.....just farmland and grassland. Great.

Posted

No forests? You obviously don't know Minnesota very well.

And people manage to live there just fine without succumbing to the frustrations you describe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Village is talking pure garbage as per usual. I know people in Minnesota and they are not bundled up indoors for 5 months of the year - Minneapolis for example is a large,buzzing city, do you seriously think it just closes down between November and March? They have winter sporting activities, and people usually take to the frozen lakes. They are not a bunch of whiny cry babies like people on here.

Also, Minnesota has plenty of forests - the UK however has very little because it was all removed thousands of years ago due to farming. Take a trip from London to Leeds on the M1 - you'll see nothing but fields and some woodland and that's it.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

only another seven weeks till we get a big fat euro high sitting over us which will stick around till next spring

What makes you think that? Is this from your misguided and deluded memories of last winter?

Posted

What makes you think that? Is this from your misguided and deluded memories of last winter?

Im not deluded about last winter, it was mild here and in many other places, as i told you before we had blossom out in January, it was cold for about a week in feb and that was it, and this is coming from someone who thinks this July hasn't been wet, you seem a generally moody poster tbh

of course its just a guess about the upcoming winter, but i believe in the law of averages, and this northern blocking can't last a whole year, or can it ? patterns seem to last for months nowadays

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

well with the weather as bad as it is the next 2 weeks coming look no better , the winter lovers will soon becoming out of hibernation on here soon much early them they normally do!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

well with the weather as bad as it is the next 2 weeks coming look no better , the winter lovers will soon becoming out of hibernation on here soon much early them they normally do!!

Really??

Like it or not, living in the south east i'm sure you will see some much better conditions than of late. Beginning next Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

slightly better for you, but for me no better, rain all the way from monday

Posted

So as to avoid making a new topic can anybody answer me this? When does the autumn thing start for the leaves i.e. turning different colours? I've noticed already some leaves losing their colour turning yellow

Posted

So as to avoid making a new topic can anybody answer me this? When does the autumn thing start for the leaves i.e. turning different colours? I've noticed already some leaves losing their colour turning yellow

We always get posts like this every year it seems, leaf falling is not all that unusual at this time of year, this could be due to prolonged dry weather or more likely in most cases a lack of sunlight.

Most of the leaves that turn yellow tend to be the inner leaves whilst the outer one tends to stay green generally. Leaves changing colours and dropping off in Autumn is mainly down to the shorter amount of natural sunlight although weather and temperatures probably do come into play somewhat.

Edited by Geordiesnow

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Time marches on. Just saw my first combine harvester of the year heading for a field full of ripe rapeseed.

Some late haymaking going on down the road from here.

I imagine they'll be straight on to the corn next week, it's ripened quickly in this week's sunshine.

Posted

Some late haymaking going on down the road from here.

I imagine they'll be straight on to the corn next week, it's ripened quickly in this week's sunshine.

Yes, I see a 2nd cut going on now the sun's out. Most of the wheat & barley fields are still too green here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not yet, a nice reminder this week for the south of what month we are in, still time yet for another hot spell, we could still break the UK record yet for the hottest ever temperature still time, summer isn't finished yet

Posted

Not yet, a nice reminder this week for the south of what month we are in, still time yet for another hot spell, we could still break the UK record yet for the hottest ever temperature still time, summer isn't finished yet

Not yet finished?

You had considerable confusion regarding the start date going by your posts.

I think we'd got up to four last time I checked.