Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Here too, much heavier in the last hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Definitely not as bad as forecast. Mostly heavy drizzle in a way with a few moderate bursts.

Posted

A near static band of rain which is gradually getting heavier, seems to be developing over the south Midlands, while parts of Lincolnshire have had almost 2 inches from this event already.

Yes, it looks like we're going to end up with a lot more than was expected (based on assessment of several runs from several models)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

30mm Shawbury and 28mm Nottingham today, this is already turning into quite an event for PARTS of the Midlands.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&ART=tabelle&TYP=niederschlag&LANG=en&DATE=1341576000&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&INT=12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rain is more persistent moderate now and should remain heavier until it passes. Still shouldnt be quite the excessive totals many charts had shown. A thoroughly nasty day nevertheless. I honestly think this summer is unsalvageable now. July is fast becoming a washout already. Dont be surprised for August to follow suit. Our summers have gone horribly wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

I'm not shocked by the 30mm in Shawbury, its been really moderate rain all day since before dawn... and no let up yet looking at the radar - Starting to get local reports of roads being flooded in the town.

Its actually 28mm in the last 6 hours!

Edited by SalopWatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

i think some posts earlier were prematurely underplaying this event and maybe should have waited untill the end of the day.

It`s becoming apparent from reports and latest updates that this is a worsening situation and every bit as bad as those earlier warnings.

There`s still several hours yet before we can see an end to this.

Posted

There's a very heavy to torrential area of rain crossing Bedworth atm.

I think that Phil (above) is right and that we should wait until the event's over before coming to conclusions.

I hope, as we all do, that he's wrong about the rest of the summer, but I wouldn't be in least bit surprised if it is a write off ;(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Persistent moderate rain here, up to 18.5mm. Noteworthy but not major...yet.

Posted

I miss being able to sit on dry grass with my ipod in and soaking up the sun. :(

Posted

Yes, it looks like we're going to end up with a lot more than was expected (based on assessment of several runs from several models)

Definitely the case here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Radio five live just report 33mm at Shawbury...

Mentioned the M50 being closed... has that happened since the floods of 2007?

Posted

A near static band of rain which is gradually getting heavier, seems to be developing over the south Midlands, while parts of Lincolnshire have had almost 2 inches from this event already.

Definitely the case here

Posted

i think for most its been around 20-25mm at the very least, and there has been some localised flooding, so fair play to the MO for playing it safe. its pretty awful out there on the roads. just over an inch fallen here.

Posted

Miserable washout of a day, there was a dryer period earlier this afternoon but it was fairly brief, thankgoodness im escaping this gloom tommorow :D

Posted

Certainly a lot of rain over the last few hours, flooded out some areas. I don't know what the forecast is now but it seems to be intensifying as it moves out westwards.

Edited by Luke

Posted

It's still ongoing too especially for the West Midlands, while some thundery type showers now developing to the east of the main rain zone, SE of Coventry for example. Some areas will be seeing the modelled 40-60mm for sure.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

You'll probably have to take a radiation suit to cope with the sunshine!

Posted

where you going connor, you mean you are leaving the sunshine and beaches of telford?rofl.gif

Hahaha! off to the Algarve for a week, I think I may pass out from shock seeing the sun :lol:

Posted

Convective element nearing Coventry:

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

Posted

god sakes, with every new run coming out the azores high stays further and further away, in winter most of these northerlies downgrade, as the azores high can't wait to ridge in, but not in summer, it looks horrible for my birthday next wednesday

Edit northerly doesn't last long but typically wednesday is the coolest day

Edited by Snowy Easterly