Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Liam J

There are signs of cut off low next week and these often have thundery potentia;. There could also be a lot of rain.

The ECM shows a chart not too dissimilar to yesterday, thundery potential there for sure

120629_0000_138.png

Then again

120629_0000_162.png

Edited by Barb-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Paul Sherman (sorry and I Cumbria Marra I ) have just drawn my attention to another potential outbreak next week. GFS going with something meaty again and based on their good performance leading up to yesterday, this may be another one to keep an eye on as runs roll out:

156_20.gif

156_48.gif

I think I could manage another good setup :)

Would love something at night, been a good few years since the last nighttime storm :D

Posted

Forgot to add anyone seen this

Posted on UK Storm Chasers FB - Never seen anything like it before? Paul any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Move it a bit more S and I'd be a bit more pleased :p

Anyway, another case of wait and see but I'm not getting my hopes up yet as it is several days away.

At least the models are showing hints of more potential though in the not-too-distant future...at the moment anyway.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Heavy showers north and south of here at the moment, but no sferics currently, unlike the ones in Northern Scotland! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Posted on UK Storm Chasers FB - Never seen anything like it before? Paul any ideas?

Thats amazing!

How thats even possible! I dont know?

That must of been two separate storm cells surely? Otherwise the rotation wouldnt work?

Maybe its from a flow of air under it "rolling" the clouds ( rather than an actual twister? )

Posted

I started a thread on this on Facebook and have had some great replies, even the radar put along side it, it appears 2 Strong Storms fired up near Le Havre and then joined together to make 1 Supercell, these then split to create an almost mirror image of each other side by side, this could be how both storms created Mesocyclones to allow this to happen. It has happened before as there is something on Google if you can find it " Bowtie Funnel"

Posted

Those charts for next week are only showing around 500J/kg of CAPE and a LI of -2. That is nothing like what we had yesterday and more akin to a usual thundery showers day isn't it? I'm not discounting as my knowledge is nothing like yours Coast but am i reading it wrong?

I have no knowledge, I just post a load of information and hide behind it all while guessing!!!!! rofl.gif .

It isn't stacking up so far to be a complete repeat of yesterdays extremes, but that could ebb and flow for a while yet. We'll know more closer to the time of any potential as usual!

I posted something in the media thread earlier that covered yesterdays events in Worcester. I'll repeat part of it here:

As weatherman Paul Damari explained, the problem was not the amount of rain (24mm), which is not unusual for this time of year, but the fact it fell in so short a time. “It’s caused a lot of flash-flooding,†he said. “But for this time of year, it’s not unusual to see thunderstorms.†He predicted more thunderstorms in the next few weeks.

http://www.worcester...h_floods_havoc/

I'm don't know much about Mr Damari and I'm not sure specifically why he claims that as we are right in the middle of our storm season anyway, but it will be interesting to see how the next events pan out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Heavy shower in Sandhutton just an hour ago, but looking at the radar there is a distinct lack of "reinforcements"- could well be mostly dry with sunny intervals in N Yorkshire for the rest of today.

It really is remarkable how much of the major thunderstorm activity over the last couple of years has centred on the Newcastle area. Tomorrow may follow that pattern, as while only weak thunderstorms are likely in this breezy showery regime, the peak areas are currently indicated to be east Yorkshire and up into Tyne and Wear.

Posted

Yesterday's storms that hit the midlands and the north of England are now hitting Denmark.... Some bad flooding and more to come from a cell in north Germany from the same system is set to hit tonight.....don't fancy being at the roskilde festival tonight.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

John Hammond had a nice little piece before his forecast at half 1 regarding what caused yesterdays storms and actually said the word "supercells".

I am off work for another week (booked last week June/first week July off). I wonder what my chances of getting another storm chase in before the 9th July when i go back.

I am still planning on putting my video up of yesterday but it is taking some editing and i am half asleep after not sleeping over the past few nights due to being hooked on here. Its not as impressive as some of the videos I have seen - no golf ball hail, tornados (although a suspect cloud at one point - see photo) or bridges getting struck by lightning.

post-2719-0-39129000-1340976577_thumb.jp

About 2 minutes later

post-2719-0-11187400-1340976615_thumb.jp

And after that

post-2719-0-53049700-1340976798_thumb.jp

All this was looking over in the direction of Lincoln from the north

Posted

I am not sure if anyone has posted this link before but would imagine it to be of interest on this thread

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2012/June-thunderstorms-evolution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The Met Office confirmed 111,000 strokes of lightning yesterday, yet Netweather confirmed 64,000. The Met Office supply Netweather with this data, for a fee of course .. I wonder why there's such a huge difference? sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Newcastle's rotating thunderstorm was indeed a supercell thunderstorm according to the Met Office.

http://www.chronicle...72703-31288685/

Some hefty showers coming through the North East..again. No reports of Sferics as yet but I think we had our yearly quota yesterday..!

The North East is definitely one of the UK's hotspots for thunder..just like last year.post-5386-0-39762800-1340967208.txt

NW 5min radar.

No thunder, but got caught in a torrential downpour yet again this morning!

Heavy shower in Sandhutton just an hour ago, but looking at the radar there is a distinct lack of "reinforcements"- could well be mostly dry with sunny intervals in N Yorkshire for the rest of today.

It really is remarkable how much of the major thunderstorm activity over the last couple of years has centred on the Newcastle area. Tomorrow may follow that pattern, as while only weak thunderstorms are likely in this breezy showery regime, the peak areas are currently indicated to be east Yorkshire and up into Tyne and Wear.

I think NE England has been getting the UK's most interesting weather overall for quite some time. Long may it continue!

Edited by Alza

Posted

another link that most of you may find very useful

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/29496-guide-to-uk-thunderstorms-setups/

a first class guide to the various types written by Nick F Senior Forecaster for Net Weather.

well worth reading

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The Met Office confirmed 111,000 strokes of lightning yesterday, yet Netweather confirmed 64,000. The Met Office supply Netweather with this data, for a fee of course .. I wonder why there's such a huge difference? sorry.gif

They said 111,000 strikes across Europe whereas netweather counted 64,000 in the UK (and i think it includes the near continent too).

Posted

another couple of links to one site that is a first class and highly reliable weather site

Thunderstorm

The World Meteorological Organisation defines as follows: " One or more sudden electrical discharges, manifested by a flash of light (i.e. lightning) and a sharp or rumbling sound (i.e. thunder)". Cumulonimbus (Cb) clouds are required, providing the necessary 'factory' for the vigorous updraughts / downdraughts, which in turn generate the enhanced charge-separation mechanisms within the cloud, and thus the marked positive and negative areas found within a Cb. Positive charge is found concentrated in the upper parts of the cloud, and negative in the lower, but just above the zero degC level, with small, but important positive charge areas in the base area, just below the zero degC level. (for the meteorological conditions necessary for a thunderstorm to occur [ in mid-latitudes ], see "<a href="http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/180">Conditions'>http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/180">Conditions for thunderstorms".

read the link on thunderstorms it is very good and the link is

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/180

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

They said 111,000 strikes across Europe whereas netweather counted 64,000 in the UK (and i think it includes the near continent too).

Met Office â€@metoffice

More than 111,000 lightning strokes were detected across the UK yesterday, with more than 1,000 detected in a 5 minute period.

Some confusion i think!?

tease.gif

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

By the way, I realised this morning that we lost 4 ridge tiles yesterday during the thunderstorm due to the very high winds we had around 17:00, and a few of my neighbours have also lost tiles. This seems quite localised though - you can see plenty of wind damage here, fences blown down etc, but 10 minutes walk south from here it was mainly flood damage.

My favourite story is someone I know saw someone canoeing past her front window, but she hadn't even looked out properly to realise her street was flooded!

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

hello all

well i had a shock when I turned on the news this morning after a lovely day and walk in a very warm Brighton...I believe too there was a tornado. Just trying to locate all the images and videos on the net so I can take a good look. Very gusty and warm I see here again..

Posted

hello all

well i had a shock when I turned on the news this morning after a lovely day and walk in a very warm Brighton...I believe too there was a tornado. Just trying to locate all the images and videos on the net so I can take a good look. Very gusty and warm I see here again..

You don't need to look far :D

Posted

I started a thread on this on Facebook and have had some great replies, even the radar put along side it, it appears 2 Strong Storms fired up near Le Havre and then joined together to make 1 Supercell, these then split to create an almost mirror image of each other side by side, this could be how both storms created Mesocyclones to allow this to happen. It has happened before as there is something on Google if you can find it " Bowtie Funnel"

Ahh sorry didn't see it on NW facebook unless it was your own FB as I don't have that.

Just looked at the bowtie funnels as you said too. Its pretty amazing stuff! would never have guessed it would have been even possible!

cheers for that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I'm getting some marvellous images and videos for my blog. Just need to write up about events as they unfolded. :D