Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands & Nothern England Thunderstorm/flooding Footage 28/6/2012

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

My Youtube video is finally done...

It really doesn't do justice to what I've seen today. It's strange but on the camera the visibility looks so much better when driving than in reality.

There was one point when the structure what stunning, like I've seen in the US. By the time I found a place to stop I was under it so missed out on some good structure shots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Short time lapse of El Brumo leaving the building

more videos to come.....memorable day all round with some great footage supplied by the members

Between 10-11am just under 2000 wanted to observe the storm on Brumcam, which although pleasing has given me a problem to solve for the future

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

It's worth putting the estofex forecast for the day in here. Quite accurate I feel when one looks back.

post-4523-0-56589700-1340939061_thumb.pn

British Isles

Warm air advection will continue during the night and morning hours from England into Scotland. This warm air is characterized by steep mid-level lapse rates. The warm air advection will increase, and a low-level jet is expected to strengthen on Thursday ahead of the approaching cold front.

Latest satellite images indicate widespread convective/stratiform clouds spreading eastward ahead of the approaching trough and associated jet streak. Until the morning hours, these clouds will spread across much of the forecast area. During the day, especially the southern portions will be placed below the anticyclonic flank of the approaching jet streak, and weak forcing may result in rather strong daytime heating.

Furthern north, QG forcing will be stronger. Elevated storms in the warm air advection regime may root to the boundary-layer in the noon and afternoon hours. Storm motion vectors close to the cold front are expected to result in a squall line with excessive rain the main threat. The severe wind threat is expected to be rather low given the expected slow propagation of the squall line.

Further north, storms are expected to be more isolated. Although instability will be weak, these storms may organize given strong vertical wind shear. Mesocyclones will pose a threat of tornadoes.

Across the southern British Isles, weak QG forcing will remain through-out the period. Along the cold front, some storms may evolve especially during the the second half of the day, when low-level heating and rather rich moisture will result in CAPE of 1000 J/kg. Strong vertical wind shear will overlap with this instability, and storms that form will rapidly organize. The potential of supercells is expected to decrease from the west during the day, and mostly multicells are forecast, capable of producing large hail and strong to severe wind gusts. However, supercells are not ruled out especially across the eastern portions where larger hodographs will persist well into the afternoon hours ahead of the cold front. Isolated very large hail may be possible when supercells indeed will form. The convective activity will decay during the evening hours in the wake of the surface cold front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

United_Kingdom_Ireland.2012180.terra.500m.jpg

This incredible image taken by NASA on thursday shows clearly the severe storm-super cell,

below i have a screen grab zoomed into the storm

post-11361-0-28535200-1340941182_thumb.j

next i have taken a closer look at the storm cloud and used colour filters, what i have found is some patterns in the cloud, this looks like the wind flows of some kind, but also i have taken a closer look at what is a hole in the storm, tornado? not sure why or what this is, is it normal?

post-11361-0-74103300-1340941730_thumb.j

(below is the link to where first image at the top of post can be found including date but smaller image, i do not know the time image was taken)

--

http://lance-modis.e...12180.terra.1km

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Incredible storms, i find it hard to imagine that such storms could develop over here, that hail is just amazing, the updrafts keeping the hail up in the clouds to grow so big is fascinating stuff! the power of it, and then they get so heavy they fall to the ground, some clumped together to form even bigger stones!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Just thought id post this image taken were I work at RAF Waddington. It was taken by an engineer for Lincs FM looking over the Marquees been set up for this weekends Waddington Airshow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I would have planned a chase if I had any idea things the storms were going to be of the magnitude that materialised throughout Thursday although I'd be a bit worried about the hail smashing my car up! Absolutely incredible stuff - 28th June 2012, the new benchmark for thunderstorms in the UK, just like something straight from the USA!

Posted

More footage of the Tyne Bridge lightning strike...

http://youtu.be/mpQakZPux6o

Am I being a bit fussy in suggesting that the lightning strike doesn't actually hit the bridge? I thought that the first time I saw it but this view seems to confirm that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just found the link to the poor chap trying to cross the road in Alnwick - just shows how dangerous water is even when it looks fairly harmless. Well don to those who rushed to the gentlemen's aid :)

Posted

Just found the link to the poor chap trying to cross the road in Alnwick - just shows how dangerous water is even when it looks fairly harmless. Well don to those who rushed to the gentlemen's aid smile.png

Had a slight comedic value that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Am I being a bit fussy in suggesting that the lightning strike doesn't actually hit the bridge? I thought that the first time I saw it but this view seems to confirm that!

Also, is that the same lightning strike? I'm sure the original video showed the lightning hitting the other side as this one is facing east.

Posted

Here are the 24 hour rainfall and lightning strike maps - over 64,000 strikes ohmy.png

post-2-0-63287500-1340955556_thumb.png

post-2-0-16062000-1340955581_thumb.jpg

Also worth dropping in Nick's storm forecast for the day

Valid: 28/06/2012 10:00 - 27/06/2012 06:00

Headline: ... THERE IS A MODERATE RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST...

Synopsis

Upper trough approaches western side of the British Isles during the forecast period. A broad warm and humid Tm airmass covers the UK, a cold front moves in across Ireland, SW Wales and SW England by 12z Thurs, with a warm front across northern Scotland. Cold front will continue N and E across the UK during the afternoon, clearing all but N Scotland by 00z Fri.

... ENGLAND, WALES and S SCOTLAND ...

Warm and humid high theta-e plume, which has pushed up from Spain and W France over last 24 hrs, cover much of the UK. Pre-frontal trough and large scale ascent has allowed mainly elevated storms to develop across E Wales and W Midlands. These storms may produce hail and gusty winds.

As this area of storms move away NE this morning, warm and moist surface airmass (dew points of 18-20C on recent obs) will become increasingly unstable where we see sunny spells break trough across central, eastern and northern areas of England. CAPE values of 1200-1500 j/kg are indicated by forecast skew-ts here this afternoon, so surface heating in the sunshine may trigger some strong thunderstorms this afternoon. 0-6km shear of 30-40 knots is indicated across central and eastern areas this afternoon, so storms are likely to organise into multicells and perhaps a few supercells capable of producing large or very large hail, excessive rainfall, frequent CG lightning and strong gusty winds. Storms will also become surface based as the surface warms up, with temperatures reaching the mid-high 20s deg Adequate storm-relative helicity will be in place for rotating updrafts to form in any storm supercell structures to produce a tornado, perhaps a strong tornado, therefore have issued a MODERATE risk for large hail and tornadoes. Storms should clear way north this evening with fresher more stable air moving in behind cold front.

convmap_280612.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just found the link to the poor chap trying to cross the road in Alnwick - just shows how dangerous water is even when it looks fairly harmless. Well don to those who rushed to the gentlemen's aid smile.png

Shouldn't really laugh.... Well not really a laugh more a small chuckle! Glad they rushed to help the poor guy, he seemed to pick the stretch of road with the fastest and deepest flowing water?! Not good, very nasty conditions.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Here are the 24 hour rainfall and lightning strike maps - over 64,000 strikes ohmy.png

post-2-0-63287500-1340955556_thumb.png

post-2-0-16062000-1340955581_thumb.jpg

yes a first class forecast from Nick

Posted

Amazing day, like others would have chased this had I been on the ball. Hail as big as we saw and Tornadoes better than we saw in 7 weeks in the States just goes to show the Uk can deliver under the right circumstances, here's hoping for more Set-Up's like this over the next few years, obviously without the loss of life or damage to property although that is going to be hard to avoid in the mass populated Uk.

Posted

Absolute belter..! Good commentary too......I bet a few guys in their cars papped themselves shall we say......ohmy.png

Did it hit a lamp-post or something? That could've killed at least a couple of people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I think you mean repository smile.png

lol...just spotted that, what was my mind on at the time I posted? doh.gif

All I can say is that you can take your grammatical corrections and shove them up your bum laugh.png

Posted

Did it hit a lamp-post or something? That could've killed at least a couple of people.

Agreed was nasty. Im not sure what it struck as I guess the Tyne bridge is not equipped with a lightning conductor...?

Posted

The big clean up begins after freak storms cause flash floods and travel chaos

Widespread disruption to travellers and households is expected to last for another day after fierce storms and torrential downpours caused flash floods across parts of the UK.

Freak deluges dropping up to an inch of rain an hour saw rail lines and roads blocked by flood water, landslips and fallen trees. More than 111,000 lightning strokes were detected across the UK yesterday, with more than 1,000 detected in a 5 minute period, the Met Office said. Train services between Scotland and England were axed and a man died after being swept away in a Shropshire stream. Many roads remained closed and properties were flooded and thousands of homes were evacuated. Northern England, the Midlands, Scotland and Northern Ireland were worst hit by battering storms that brought lightening, giant hail stones and reports of damage from squalls and tornadoes.

post-6667-0-60805900-1340976410.png

But in stark contrast, southern parts of Britain enjoyed dry weather and temperatures up to 82F (28C). East Coast Trains said it had cancelled all services between Newcastle and Edinburgh today following floods in Cumbria and near Newcastle and a landslip near Berwick-upon-Tweed. The West Coast line was also badly hit by the storms. An East Coast spokesman said there would be no replacement bus services or alternative transport arrangements between Scotland and England, adding: "Network Rail is working hard to fix the line quickly following various problems caused by the severe weather experienced yesterday. The line is unlikely to reopen until tomorrow morning. Tickets valid today and yesterday will be valid on Saturday."

Swathes of the Midlands were hit by intense downpours yesterday, with some parts receiving almost an inch (22mm) of rain in just an hour – a third of the average rainfall for the whole month of June. The North Tyneside area was also left reeling by the intense downpours and flooding that forced the closure of roads, the Metro network, The Tyne Tunnel and Newcastle's MetroCentre. There were also widespread powercuts in the area with 15,000 homes still facing blackouts last night as Northern Power Grid engineers worked to resolve the problem.

All Metros remained at a standstill overnight, while the Tyne Tunnel was reopened after the floods subsided. North Tyneside Council said it dealt with more than 200 flood-related incidents in the borough and that at least eight schools will be closed today due to flooding or water damage following the afternoon deluge. Public buildings, including leisure centres and libraries were also closed and are expected to remain shut today, while residents in Gateshead, Wallsend, West Monkseaton, Longbenton were evacuated from their homes as drainage systems became overwhelmed by rainfall. Meanwhile, maths teacher Mike Ellis was killed after being swept away by floodwater in a stream at Bittlerley, near Ludlow, Shropshire, yesterday morning.

post-6667-0-36997100-1340976448.png

And a 90-year-old man was among a number of people rescued from vehicles by fire crews following flash flooding in the Bridgnorth area of the county. Northern Ireland and the Irish republic were also hit by floods and at the height of disruption, more than 10,000 homes in the Cork area and 1,000 in Northern Ireland suffered blackouts. Flood damage hit hundreds of homes and businesses in the affluent Cork suburb of Douglas, while parts of Belfast and County Antrim were also badly affected.

The Environment Agency has 10 flood warnings in place in the Midlands, North East and North West, but the worst of the weather looks to be over.

Nick Prebble, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather forecasting arm of the Press Association, said: "Today there will be a mixture of sunshine and showers across the UK with temperatures cooling off. "Most parts of Britain could experience the odd passing shower during the day, but the focus of the heavy downpours will be across Scotland. "Northern parts could also have a few thunder storms but the weather doesn't appear to be as severe as yesterday."

post-6667-0-80233800-1340976483.png

The floods are the latest to hit parts of the UK, as this month shapes up to be one of the wettest Junes on record – possibly surpassing June 2007 when heavy rain caused widespread flooding. More than a thousand homes and businesses were flooded last weekend after torrential downpours across the north, with a month's rain falling in 24 hours in some places. Earlier in the month, flash floods brought havoc to communities in west Wales following heavy rainfall.

http://www.telegraph...avel-chaos.html

post-6667-0-60805900-1340976410_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-36997100-1340976448_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-80233800-1340976483_thumb.pn

Posted

Any ideas on the magnitude of the tornadoes yesterday - the Sleaford tornado looked fairly strong, exceptionally strong for the UK. Any idea of the length of time each tornado was on the ground? Any further info?

Posted

Yesterdays storms in one gif:

Movie_of_Lightning_in_EurAfrica_BIG.gif

Only valid 29/06/12