Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands & Nothern England Thunderstorm/flooding Footage 28/6/2012

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I would like to create an archive for this date, so as today was a day of epic proportions for UK thunderstorm activity I thought I'd open a thread or suppository if you will for all still & video footage of today's events from across the country...So if you have any footage of today's events I would be grateful if you can upload it to this thread with a brief narrative, if possible...Also if any members want to upload charts/model data to add as an accompaniment to the thread then please feel free...

Many thanks

AJ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

A couple of photos from this evenings storm (I'm sure we just had another distant rumble just now!)

7462096258_b570569b52_c.jpg

7462095760_f0ea1dfb0d_c.jpg

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Here's a few of my village Penkridge around 11am just after the MCS moved away to the NE

post-4149-0-92183400-1340908350_thumb.jp

post-4149-0-76510600-1340908367_thumb.jp

post-4149-0-33837200-1340908388_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Here's a few, in the order I took them. I haven't bothered uploading many I took during the storms as it was very dark and my camera flash came on, ruining everything sad.png

The one of the ground was supposed to show the huge splashes as the hail fell, but it didn't really work too well. The one of the moderate rain was the last photo I could take before it went dark. Anyway, the first two storms had nice wall clouds.

First Storm (16:30):

post-9381-0-11438900-1340910642_thumb.jppost-9381-0-78648700-1340910632_thumb.jppost-9381-0-92202600-1340910621_thumb.jppost-9381-0-66716200-1340910615_thumb.jp

Second Storm (17:30):

post-9381-0-38126200-1340910607_thumb.jp

Third Storm (19:00):

post-9381-0-07263000-1340910600_thumb.jp

Edited by Alza

Posted

Just been linked the following footage on facebook...exact location is unknown but judging by the giant hail it's somewhere near Leicester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

some unbelievable vids/pics in here, keep them coming smile.png

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted

Not anything like some of the videos from parts of the country today, but here's my little vid from the early hours of this morning (about 3:30am). Nice if you like some night-time lightning at least. (I hope this is ok here despite the thread title) If you wan't to skim over rather than watch nearly 10 minutes, the last minute shows the best bolts I managed to capture.

We've put together a quick storify board with some footage from today:

http://www.netweathe...ryid=1148;sess=

Very nice! :) Just thought I'd better mention, the 3rd image from the bottom titled 'Storm over Newcastle from aeroplane isn't real though, I've seen that image several times before. Looks a baby compared to Newcastle's storm anyway!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Ok, some video footage from this morning's MCS from me the first part is about 5 minutes long, the second just 30 seconds long before my camera ran out of charge.....Visually it's not very impressive as all the lightning was inter-cloud and elevated, but there were at least 1 strike per second and this can be denoted by the constant background 'roar' of thunder, and I mean constant!.....I put a bit of personal narrative in the footage as I was recording to give a sense of what was happening.... smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I must add this one from the Ashby canal, narowboaters had just finished filling the water tank and managed to get under the A5 bridge in Hinckley, Leicester as this struck. As the skipper was taking left trouser legies, his stern end drifted out of the shelter for a few seconds, and he sustained a cut hand from the 3" hail.

DSC02592H.jpg

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A few photos of the storm clouds in South Shields.

post-5386-0-86771000-1340918705_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-87628100-1340918729_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-68237200-1340918757_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-17030300-1340918780_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some of mine from Sandhutton near Thirsk, which turned out to be near the southernmost edge of the line of thunderstorms. There wasn't that much thunder down here (about two-dozen rumbles or so) but the cloud formations were pretty good.

post-7-0-99672400-1340919611_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-41878100-1340919645_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-06747300-1340919730_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-06097400-1340919785_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-98537600-1340919822_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-92982800-1340919848_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-90590900-1340919908_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Yep we got struck by the southern edge of that very same line, and skies did indeed look as volatile as those last three brilliant pics. Cheers for posting them :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

It is a shame about loss of life and damage to property of course....

But these are some amazing videos and footage from today's action. If I was there, I think people would think I'm crazy because I'd just be staring at the sky non stop with a massive grin on my face (Unless I get hit by hail). tease.gif

Cheers for some good pics etc...and if there's more keep them coming! good.gif

Posted

While the supercells which passed through the region did not hit my area directly (not sure if that is a good or bad thing in hindsight after seeing the damage they caused) but I did catch the tail end of the Newcastle storm system.

It was not a spectacular or particularly exciting storm by any means as it was an American prairie type which produced constant booming thunder and a huge deluge which was enough to reduce visibility to almost nothing while driving and cause local flooding, but there was little visible lightning and no structured lightning that I could see. I got one report of over a foot of flood water in the lower areas of town from someone who had just passed through it once the storm had passed though I couldn't be bothered to go and photograph it at rush hour.

I did get a few pictures and a video record so I may as well drop them here, due to the size of the pictures I won't wrap them in img tags and give you the links instead.

Storm Approaches

Storm Encroaches

Rain Begins

Rain Intensifies

Rain Intensifies Further

Video Of The Rain

Extra Radar Zoom Of Cell In Progress

Edited by Tim B
Updated the links, they should work properly now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Exceptional weather by UK standards witnessed today! Some of the pictures and footage are unreal, truly amazing and frightening at the same time with images looking much more akin to a USA super cell storm chase rather than being anywhere near our own back gardens!! Thank you to everyone today for the reports, pictures and footage whether found on Youtube or taken by your good selves making me and many other feel like we were really in on the action even though in reality many of us missed out..... TWS them pictures are brilliant!

A memorable day of weather indeed for many reasons - RIP to those who lost lives and sympathy to those who have sustained damage to property etc.

Edited by Liam J