Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robbie Garrett

How Hard Would It Be To Track Down?

I've just been wondering how my old old primary school class mates have got on, I never got in contact with them after I left... I have started by emailing the primary school to see if they could help, but no reply as of yet.

I would love to get hold of my school leavers photo too, that we all took before we left as I don't have a copy. I am sure the company that took the photos all those years back, may still keep it on file.

One question is would the School still hold data of full names from 2003/2004/2005? When I went and left. I am sure if they had the leavers photo copy, that names would be included in this... including me :D

I only remember one persons name, but not there second name. It would be absolutely lovely to see how they have got on almost 10 years later. If that fails, what other choices have I got? Especially this one person, as I was a admirer of them and it inspired me to do well all throughout my secondary school life. My knowledge of there names, locations that they lived, how old they where and such is a relative fail, except the one person aforementioned.

It cannot be that hard, but I know a lot can happen in 8 years, sometimes life shows it's maximum cruelty and they are taken away from us as I have already experienced.

I can't try facebook as it would be next to impossible as it doesn't show Primary schools, and there's nothing on friends reunited.

I've just been wondering how my old old primary school class mates have got on, I never got in contact with them after I left... I have started by emailing the primary school to see if they could help, but no reply as of yet.

I would love to get hold of my school leavers photo too, that we all took before we left as I don't have a copy. I am sure the company that took the photos all those years back, may still keep it on file.

One question is would the School still hold data of full names from 2003/2004/2005? When I went and left. I am sure if they had the leavers photo copy, that names would be included in this... including me biggrin.png

I only remember one persons name, but not there second name. It would be absolutely lovely to see how they have got on almost 10 years later. If that fails, what other choices have I got? Especially this one person, as I was a admirer of them and it inspired me to do well all throughout my secondary school life. My knowledge of there names, locations that they lived, how old they where and such is a relative fail, except the one person aforementioned.

It cannot be that hard, but I know a lot can happen in 8 years, sometimes life shows it's maximum cruelty and they are taken away from us as I have already experienced.

I can't try facebook as it would be next to impossible as it doesn't show Primary schools, and there's nothing on friends reunited.

I think probably one way would be to make a personal visit to the school, introduce yourself and explain your mission - you haven't been away such a long time and maybe some of the teachers you knew are still there.

I recall back in my school days one teacher told us of his gripe that he never got to see the end product and no doubt many teachers think the same. They may have records from the time you were there but don't expect them to release any details to you directly but it may well be that they would be willing to pass on any letters to people you used to know and perhaps this could be a way.

This is one of my regrets - losing contact with friends that I had at school. Be careful not to expect too much if you are successful though, I recently went to my 20th anniversery high school leavers reunion, and what I noticed was that time had changed those people that I used to be close to, or time had changed me. There was a sense of emotional detachment. Paths serperate and our individual life experiences are no longer bonded by a common factor ( seeing each other every day, in class and messing about during lunch and recess etc ). Maybe you might have a different experience to me.

One way you could get in touch with your mates is organise a primary school leavers reunion for a few months ahead, and advertise it. Word will spread between people aswell.

Just one way to do it.

Seeing as you went to the school only 9 years ago Facebook is bound to be your best bet. It's the biggest social network and especially because your age group is young, I would bet a lot of your class mates are there. Most people have moved on from Friends Reunited, people don't always use real names on Twitter and Google Plus isn't busy.

I found about 90 people on Facebook from my schools and that is from schools I went to 20 years ago. I remembered a lot of my class mates names and once you find one person you know, they are usually friends with another person you recognise and so on.

And a lot of schools have groups or pages too, it's just a matter of finding them. You can post on school groups or there could be other groups local to the school and most likely find people that way too.

Seeing as you went to the school only 9 years ago Facebook is bound to be your best bet. It's the biggest social network and especially because your age group is young, I would bet a lot of your class mates are there. Most people have moved on from Friends Reunited, people don't always use real names on Twitter and Google Plus isn't busy.

I found about 90 people on Facebook from my schools and that is from schools I went to 20 years ago. I remembered a lot of my class mates names and once you find one person you know, they are usually friends with another person you recognise and so on.

And a lot of schools have groups or pages too, it's just a matter of finding them. You can post on school groups or there could be other groups local to the school and most likely find people that way too.

This is one of my regrets - losing contact with friends that I had at school. Be careful not to expect too much if you are successful though, I recently went to my 20th anniversery high school leavers reunion, and what I noticed was that time had changed those people that I used to be close to, or time had changed me. There was a sense of emotional detachment. Paths serperate and our individual life experiences are no longer bonded by a common factor ( seeing each other every day, in class and messing about during lunch and recess etc ). Maybe you might have a different experience to me.

One way you could get in touch with your mates is organise a primary school leavers reunion for a few months ahead, and advertise it. Word will spread between people aswell.

Just one way to do it.

I think probably one way would be to make a personal visit to the school, introduce yourself and explain your mission - you haven't been away such a long time and maybe some of the teachers you knew are still there.

I recall back in my school days one teacher told us of his gripe that he never got to see the end product and no doubt many teachers think the same. They may have records from the time you were there but don't expect them to release any details to you directly but it may well be that they would be willing to pass on any letters to people you used to know and perhaps this could be a way.

Hello Guys,

A lot of the problems I have with finding them, Is I only know one persons name, and this is only there first name. I know how old they are, or thereabouts and where they came from as I used to sit next to this person often.

I don't know what school they went to after (Secondary School) as I lived in a different Borough to them, it's only because of this I have lost complete contact.

I did try Facebook, but nothing would come up.. as I don't know there secondary school nor there second names, it was just a general search and hope that maybe something will come up. I did find the schools official page and a leavers page 2003, but that doesn't help as none of them where in my year and where much older than me.

I messaged the school on twitter, and emailed them 3 days ago. Nothing as of yet, the only other option would be to turn up at the School and speak to the reception staff.

I guess they could help organise a re-union for that location. I agree that there is likely to be attachment against the most majority of people, however I cannot say for sure as I've never had a reunion with them.

I guess there is a way though which is encouraging... and yet I still have 2 years before it's 10 years, so 2 years to get everyone together. What a task!!?

most people are best left in the past..im not sure re-unions are ever successful as many people are just not interested. I personally would never go to a school re-union..like i would never want to be contacted by ex girlfriends..i think it is best to remember people as how they were rather than how they now are..in my mind people i knew from my school days are still children or teenagers and that's how i want to remember them.

most people are best left in the past..im not sure re-unions are ever successful as many people are just not interested. I personally would never go to a school re-union..like i would never want to be contacted by ex girlfriends..i think it is best to remember people as how they were rather than how they now are..in my mind people i knew from my school days are still children or teenagers and that's how i want to remember them.

That is fair, but a lot of these people are still my school mates, it's always nice to see how people get on... for that sake. I suspect many of them have gone separate ways, but hey... you can always try?

It's a bit different to ex-girlfriends, that's just awkward. :D

Have you looked at Friends Reunited under the more senior schools in your area and the appropriate year that they might have been there? It's a log trawl but you might find some names that moved up from Primary school.

One question is would the School still hold data of full names from 2003/2004/2005? When I went and left. I am sure if they had the leavers photo copy, that names would be included in this... including me biggrin.png

I would start with the school and see if they can help with some names and a photocopy of the old photo - I know my old school had them from years back framed along the corridor walls.

Once you have some names you can search for people on facebook - I've found or rather have been found by most of my old school buddies (although I kept in touch with a few anyway) it's easy once you get going because as soon as you have a friend request accepted you will find mutual friends and names will come back to you - I can remember most of their names (and the teachers) anyway and I left school at lot more than 10 years ago, but obviously it's harder finding women who have married and have a different second name now !

My old school has a facebook page anyway so maybe you could start one for yours if there isn't one and then people who use facebook can join and be found if they want to !

Good luck with it - I've really enjoyed finding out how all my old class mates are doing (I think I'm one of the few who hasn't been made a grandparent by now) there have been quite a few surprises and it's amazing how far round the world everyone has spread !