Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 27th June 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Tsk tsk.. you forgot the Shetland Islands and the Scilly Isles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Certainly looks though as if there could be some exciting weather tonight on the south coast and up into CS England with some elevated storms, but the most severe storms occuring tomorrow across East Midlands, Northern E Anglia, N England and S Scotland. Lets hope the sun can come out to get those temperatures rising though.

Posted

Lots of lightning activity over Northern Spain and the ocean moving NNE, timing from there to the South coast is usually

around 8-10 hours so that'll be 05.00 ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Have not posted for quite a long time now, but i am now back, and quite interested in tonight and early tomorrow, good luck to everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

From Liam Dutton's twitter. Looking lively for Northern England later tomorrow! :)

7456365476_36b5cc9793.jpg

Posted

don't wanna put a downer on anything - but this don't look too good - http://www.meteoalar...ang=&AT=0&day=0

estofex looks brill though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just a carbon copy of the met office warnings. I wouldn't worry about it mate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Tsk tsk.. you forgot the Shetland Islands and the Scilly Isles!

How Scilly of me! My blank "UK" map didn't include them, so apologies. For anyone in the Shetlands and the Scilly Isles - you too are at risk from thunderstorms! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening everyone

Nothing to report from the North East has of yet! However its been very humid and sticky throughout the day, even now the temperature is reading 18.4c with the humidity on 87%. Personally i think something is brewing for tomorrow afternoon,Looking at the charts they also suggest this too. {shame im at work} but camera will be at the ready just in case}

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

finally got some Ac Cas building in the southern sky...I had been thinking this evening that the skies here in the midlands were showing very little in the way of signs of mid-level instability...It's been mainly patch cirrus drifting NEwards, but as I said definitely some Ac Cas now.....a good sign.....and good luck to everybody tonight/tomorrow, and yes, that even goes to you lot down in the SE laugh.png

Posted

don't wanna put a downer on anything - but this don't look too good - http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index.php?lang=&AT=0&day=0

estofex looks brill though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never use meteoalarm!!

Posted

finally got some Ac Cas building in the southern sky...I had been thinking this evening that the skies here in the midlands were showing very little in the way of signs of mid-level instability...It's been mainly patch cirrus drifting NEwards, but as I said definitely some Ac Cas now.....a good sign.....and good luck to everybody tonight/tomorrow, and yes, that even goes to you lot down in the SE laugh.png

dyou recon we'll get lucky tommorow aj?

Posted

When listening to the radio for sferics, this is the way I Do it. I tune to the lowest frequency on medium wave (AM) 520 kHZ which gives you the widest ppossible radius for detection. If you are using a small portible battery powerd radio then the radius will be around 10 to 50 miles, although this depends on the spicific radio and type of lightning. How ever, if you are using a mains powerd radio, and or one that is part of a cd/radio etc combo then you can often detect sferics upto a few hundred miles away. You can tell how far away a strike is by the sound it produces. Strikes >100 miles away will sound like sharp clicks or short quiet crackles. Strikes between 15 and 100 miles sound like distinct but soft crackles. Close strikes <15 miles away sound like strong sharp crackles or static bursts upto a few seconds in length often starting loud and ending quieter. I have found that You can sometimes even tell the type of lightning a sferic is from. IC strikes are quieter and often shorter than CG strikes, and +CG strikes are the loudest and last the longest.

This is the way I do it, but it may not be the best way although it works for me and it is surtainly a useful tool.

I hope this can help somebody with their sferic detection as I've wanted to explain how I do it for a while on here.

WOW...what an explanation....that answers my question I put in a thread ages agogood.gif

Posted

On the look-out for those elusive 'Ac Cas' jellyfish cloud's this afternoon. Nothing seen as of yet other than the medium alt layering and Lenticulars towards the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Meteo alarm seems to be more continent focused. Ive got to say in the 5 years that ive been following net weather, ive never seen so much uncertainty in a storm forecast, whether its just the fact back then people were more daring to but out a forecast i don't know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Seems to be getting more humid here, you know that feeling when theres no air just warm muck.

Looks like there some Ac Cas towards the Clee Hills too (Southish)

Posted

Can't see them here yet AJ, and I'm further south than yourself. What are your expectation for us tonight and especially tomorrow?

Bish