Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Team Jo

Airshows Anyone?

So I figured that I'm probably not the only Weather/Av fan on here - just wanted to see if anyone else was doing the UK Airshows thing this year? Not going to be able to make Waddington, but I'm off to fairford for the air tattoo next week :) be cool to see anyone from here if you are!

Jo

Hi i am going to waddington at the weekend but the weather currently is not looking brilliant

Alright Jo,, Yeah did Yeovilton arrivals and showday, not doing Waddo. Too far for me, but am also doing Fairford and maybe Farnborough, although £41 is quite steep considering the display schedule at Farnborough. Undecided

I went to Yeovilton on Saturday and was by and large disappointed. The £23 on the gate entrance fee was pretty steep considering what was there, the flying display was OK but a long way from spectacular and there were only 2 small beer tents for what felt like 5 million people...rofl.gif Oh and it was cold - the weather that is, not the beer!

Haven't been to Yeovilton for years, B2 Stealth got announced for Fairford (static Only) today, which has made me hyperventilate a bit. :D

Yeah, I'm undecided about Farnborough too, the last couple I've been to were pretty uninspiring, and I think unless you go on the trade days it's a bit same-old......you can't beat the magic of going onto a real proper Airbase. (Maybe that's just me) - but you're right, for the entry fee, I don't think you're getting much metal for your money.

Feel your pain with the cold weather Shed, last year we arrived to camp on friday which was glorious sun, and then it rained like a beast all saturday until about 2pm, by which time I'd had about 5 litres of scrumpy to cope with the cold and could barely stand up, let alone take a straight photo.... drinks.giffriends.gif

Yep, noticed the B2 myself, might have to make the journey for departures now, as just too get a shot of her in the air. The only thing thats pulling me to farnborough is the SU 27 of the russian knights to be honest, everything else is at fairford anyway...... I know what you mean shed, Yeoviltons participation was shocking this year, with alot of things cancelling at the last minute. Beyond the organisors control , but still was a quiet arrivals, too quiet. Bring back the old days. RIAT used to get near on 500 aircraft for the weekend,, I think they struggle for 200 these days. Bad times!!/

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that the knights aren't swinging by Fairford - not got my hopes up about the Super Connie either, she's got engine trouble and apparently won't be participating at Farnborough. (or flying at least - supposed to be part of a flypast at fairford, not looking good :(

Saw the Flanker on Static and arrivals/departures last year, so although I'd still be happy to see it, I'm not too sad about it tho. The B2 is a peach of an addition - Ollie and I are there from the Friday-Monday camping, so I'm hoping we see her go out (or come in) & get some good pictures.

True, it's not like the 90s :( not just the quantity of display, but then where everything flew across the crowd lines and all sorts of shenanigans. Oh well!

Bloody 'ell - I'm sure air shows in my youth were free - part of a public relations exercise put on by the RAF.

@Mike Sad truth is, you get nothing for free nowadays. @Jo , I would'nt rule out the Vulcan making an appearance either. Got a mate who works at westlands and he's heard that all engines are primed and ready to roll, and the flying permit does'nt run out till June 2013. Fingers crossed to get the beast back where she belongs.

I donate to the Vulcan every month, bring tears to my eyes each time I see her! Hoping the engine changeover has gone as planned, shame she won't make Waddington :( but can't wait to see her at fairford again, got some amazing pictures f her arriving on the Friday, set all the car alarms off on the campsite! :) nothing like that howl!

Would love to know how Waddo is folks!!

Love my airshows and was privileged to be at Raf halton for Prtc on graduation week, with a hawk flyover. As for airshows, will be attending NI airshow in Portrush, its only one we have and it was much better when it was held in Ards due to being on an airfield.

I haven't been to many air shows recently, I used to live a few miles from the U.S. air base at Upper Heyford so frequented their air pageants years ago and loved it but I've always enjoyed the Red Arrows and Sunday was no exception when they flew at the Pirate festival in Hastings that I attended.

post-10773-0-21792300-1343056551_thumb.jpost-10773-0-38310000-1343062850_thumb.j

The afternoon ended with a spectacular display it was the first time this summer the weather has allowed them to do a full high-flying programme !

Anyone off to To Duxford Airshow this weekend? :)

I've got a new camera which I am dying to try out, weather is looking better than Eastbourne, where I got wind-blasted - but the flying display isn't a long-un - only a few hours - Morning on the flightline methinks!

Probably the last one I'll do this year cray.gif

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/the-duxford-air-show?gclid=CPrhlpWzl7ICFUPHtAodok0AcA

Northern Ireland Airshow next weekend. Weather looks like it is going to be fantastic. Over 30 displays this year, including the Typhoon, Red Arrows, Hawk, Blades and a dusk display with Pyrotechnics. Cannot wait.

I was at the Southport Airshow this weekend (Sunday) to see the Vulcan display. I missed out on it during the Waddo weekend so was determined to get the plane 'bagged' by the end of the airshow year. Weather was on/off in terms of natural light for photography but I got a few decent shots.

post-8763-0-35563000-1347283333_thumb.jp

post-8763-0-42120100-1347283346_thumb.jp

Seen the Vulcan quite a few years back, it does the real slow pass??? Pretty sure it was the Vulcan as it can go very slow as well as fast.

• Similar Content

• By Lauren
      For all the pilots, wannabe pilots, aviation enthusiasts or people who have questions about aviation. It seems there are a lot of us here and it ties in nicely with our love of weather!