Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Egineering Feats

I was gobsmacked when I looked at this.

Bagger 288 (Excavator 288), built by the German company Krupp for the energy and mining firm Rheinbraun, is a bucket-wheel excavator or mobile strip mining machine. When its construction was completed in 1978, Bagger 288 superseded NASA's Crawler-Transporter, used to carry the Space Shuttle and Apollo Saturn V launch vehicle, as the largest land vehicle in the world. It is 311 feet tall and 705 feet long. It weighs 45,500 tons, which makes it heavier than RMS Titanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bagger-garzweiler.jpg

post-12275-0-45801200-1340553962_thumb.j

I dread to think how many fitters you would need on standby ! shok.gif

I think it is a little too big for my garage :)

What's "egineering"? I'll give you a feat of engineering - fitting two camshafts in a sixteen valve,double overhead cam motorbike engine single-handedly,followed by the gorilla-force needed to install the camchain tensioner whilst simultaneously trying to turn the recessed bolt with mole grips in an almost inaccessible space. Then it gets really hard;installing a bank of four carburettors with all the associated plumbing and cables twixt motor and airbox. Oh yes,that was a feat alright. Easy maybe for the Japs who made the thing with their tidgy hands and special tools...