Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Noticed The Reduction In Daylight Hours Yet ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Probably not unless your a Vulcan its less then a second cf yesterday.

http://www.timeandda...nomy.html?n=136

I always think its 3rd week of August that I see a noticable change in daylight and associated feeling of late summer.

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's about the same with me, stew. It's even worse when the weather's crap!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

August is when it is noticeable.

Posted

August is when it is noticeable.

Not early August for me, more like 3rd week of August

Not talking about temperture maybe its a primeval thing, gather the harvest and not watch Tele ?

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Around the Autumn Equinox for me, most noticeable is the position of the sun in the sky as having a westerly facing window for twice a year during the Equinoxes the sun's position is most evident. Winter it sets too low and Summer it sets too hight.

Posted

I've noticed - if only psychologically rather than visually, been waiting for this pivotal day since Dec 21 last year. Daylight today was less than a second down on yesterday,and tomorrow will be six seconds shorter than today with an accelerating pace from here to the equinox. God I hate summer and the light.

Posted

I've noticed - if only psychologically rather than visually, been waiting for this pivotal day since Dec 21 last year. Daylight today was less than a second down on yesterday,and tomorrow will be six seconds shorter than today with an accelerating pace from here to the equinox. God I hate summer and the light.

Regarding a psychological POV, I find the realisations of longer nights a tad depressing at first but then I find when we hit around October time, I look forward to the darker evenings(and mornings!) as I know winter is approching and theres something about the dark nights I do like! Same with the ever increasing lighter nights really although the lighter mornings i hate as my bedroom is facing East and theres not much joy of having the sun shining at silly o clock in the morning in your room. Thankfully with this summer being quite dull around here, this has been a rarity thus far.

Posted

The cloud has been so thick and persistent all day that it seriously looked and felt like mid-Autumn...

But yeah, I tend to notice in late-August.

I remember that massive heatwave last year, late-September/early-October; it was reaching 26-29C countrywide but on like 11-12 hours of sunshine, sunset at like 1915 I think? was pretty incredible biggrin.png

Edited by Slowpoke

Posted

First snow will soon be upon us - YES!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

I usually notice the difference in the evenings at the end of July. It tends to be darker half an hour sooner than now down here in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Gladly we are many months away from the impending doom of insufficient daylight hours and the restrictions it brings.

Going to be even more noticeable this year as my missus has changed jobs and can currently walk to work. But the route is not one you'd want to attempt during darkness meaning from late October to late Feb her commute will be longer and will likely involve having to use the tram thus costing more. And that's in addition to the much less safe journeys I take in dark evenings - can be quite scary at times.

In contrast at the moment it is so easy - students are gone, plenty of light (even after a few post work pints) and soon loads of folk go on holiday too.

As for noticing it at all - early to mid August around here. Hence why I normally prefer June to August before the rot sets in. Not this June however - ugh more like October with more daylight hours!

Posted

As for noticing it at all - early to mid August around here. Hence why I normally prefer June to August before the rot sets in. Not this June however - ugh more like October with more daylight hours!

Yes I still think 3c and drizzle is my worse sort of weather but 17c and moderate rain comes close second.

I read once you could read a newspaper outdoors at midnight without the moon in Shetland this time of year, no idea. Still 'bright' here at 10pm . Probably stiill bright in Northern scotland at 11pm ??

Posted

Daylight today was less than a second down on yesterday,and tomorrow will be six seconds shorter than today....

And tomorrow will see 13 seconds less daylight than todaygood.gif .....

Posted

I'll be noticing it in about 2 or 3 weeks time. It's surprising how quick the mornings start drawing in ..... Not that there have been many clear monrings to enjoy the sunrise this year!

(I couldn't tell you when it gets dark in the evening, expcet that it's after I get home from work - I don;t really notice any difference until the end of October ..... :D )

Edited by Essan

Posted

(I couldn't tell you when it gets dark in the evening, expcet that it's after I get home from work - I don;t really notice any difference until the end of October ..... biggrin.png )

That sounds like a good start to a episode of House, acute.gif

Posted

Is it me or don't the evenings actually continue drawing out slightly for a few more days, so If anything it would still feel like the days were getting longer if it was noticeable? as most people aren't awake at 4am.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Starting to notice now (daylight reducing) but other changes I dont 'notice' till the end of August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, I'm noticing it...But let's hope the sunshine will alleviate things, over the coming few days?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have noticed it..the sun now rises after i get up in the morning..if it is cloudy its dark enough for me to have to turn the light on now before i go to work.

Posted

Definitely now, it's almost impossible not to. If this was June or July the sun would still be up right now and I would not need a light.

Edited by Aaron