Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Isn't It Strange How Storms Don't Wake Us Up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Why is it that, even though a falling pin will wake us up with a start, we sleep through the storm of the century?

It's happened to me so many times, I've lost count!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

When I was younger, storms used to wake me up, although they were more common and intense back then, these days though, I sleep through most storms.

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

The last time that happened to me was York in about 1994. I thought it was a burglar. Lol. I was ever so chuffed to find it was a storm but I missed the best of it. Grrrrrrr! :)

Posted

We had a belter of a storm here in 1992 (I was only 10 at the time) the night before I slept in a different part of the house and the next night I slept in my own bed when we got the storm I missed everything (apparently it was a ripper too) Nowadays I stay awake at night when there is threats. They never materialise though

Posted

I can only recall one thunderstorm which has ever disturbed my slumber (September 1995), but then I'm not an easy person to wake up anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Dudley Earthquake of 2002 which was only a few miles from here didnt wake me up so Thunder and Lightning has no chance but then again...what the hell is a storm? laugh.png

This country has changed so much in terms of Thundery weather especially. Gone are the years where night storms were almost guaranteed every year! Will they come back? Probably not for many years knowing our luck.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apparently, I slept through one almighty rainstorm (with thunder) last night!fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Haven't had a night storm in years.....almost forgotten what they're like in truth.

I think the question posed should have been...isn't it strange how we don't get storms at night anymore?

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't get woken up by storms...the main contributing factor to this is that we don't get storms here anymore!

Posted

I think the only logical reason for this is because the storms that we get overnight of late just happen to be over in Europe. (Yes, I am making special reference to YOU France!!) So we can't hear them that far away.

I do recall one storm though back in September 1992. Was just after 2.am, I was asleep until "BOOOOOOM!!" An MCS had developed out of nowhere and lasted for a good hour or so. Never had anything like it since. Been almost 20 years. :-(

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I agree about not being woken up by storms but I sleep most nights with ear plugs in. We don't get them any more anyway i think we should look into a new hobby a more reliable one haha. even the storms down south arn't even clipping kent anymore!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The earthquake of 2008 did not wake me up so storms probably won't either,

The only time I recall being woken up by thunder was a few years ago when the thunder was so loud it shook the entire house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I used to sleep through thunderstorms when I was in my teens, but in recent years I've usually been woken up by them. Part of it is self-inflicted, e.g. having the window half-open on a potentially thundery night to increase my chances of being woken up. My first two experiences of "thundersnow" involved being woken up through the night by thunder associated with east-coast snow showers.

I have had a few annoying recent experiences of watching out for wintry showers and sleeping through the ones we got though.

Posted

I remember the October 1987 storm. I woke, heard a roaring outside, turned over and went back to sleep .... And I did somehow sleep through the last earthquake to be felt here (which was and still is very embarassing). But even snow wakes me up*. Wind, rain normally does. Thunder and lightning should do - certainly did the last time we had thunder at night in 2008 or 2009 or whenever it was .....

* I think it's actually the way the snow muffles other sounds that wakes me, rather than the sound of the snow itself :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I think the only logical reason for this is because the storms that we get overnight of late just happen to be over in Europe. (Yes, I am making special reference to YOU France!!) So we can't hear them that far away.

I do recall one storm though back in September 1992. Was just after 2.am, I was asleep until "BOOOOOOM!!" An MCS had developed out of nowhere and lasted for a good hour or so. Never had anything like it since. Been almost 20 years. :-(

Phil.

i remember an intense storm 18th septemper 1992 , i think it developed over kent and tracked north, large hail killed dozens of birds in the thames estuary up to 38mm diameter , a potent storm for mid-september.

Phil.

Posted

That was probably the very same night Sprites. If I remember correctly, a shallow LP situated somewhere over the Irish Sea gave cloudy conditions during the day with moderate or heavy showery rain for the south, but during the early hours of the following morning... POWWWWWW!! Storms breaking out over much of mainland UK. I'll try and find the synpotic situation for that date. (Unless any kind person on here could assist. Coast?!? ;) )

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Phil.

I think there should be a line of cams-HD set along the North French Coast, and a special tv station just for storms fans, it would be fun to watch, thats all we are doing lately is watching them on the sats, so bring on the cams.. i know there are some but a quick good connection is needed!

--

The title.. in the 80s thunderstorms would wake me up, they were very loud colourful storms, lightning of violet and oranges, i think the atmosphere would fill with dust from a long period of strong high pressure, and then the sky would go deep dull yellow into sunset as the moisture built up, with some little thunderheads lit up copper edged, where is all this these days? the build up and the MCS nights. Is it that storms are not coming at night, or not as severe in night hours the reason why some sleep through? maybe a deep sleep then we just miss them! it happens i know and it's annoying, can hear a car alarm, do we most likely hear things that annoy us? and that's why some don't hear the storms?(storm fans)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

They do wake me up.. *Confused face*

The only time a proper one won't is if I have drank so much that I am comatose, and even if this happens it only has a window of a couple of hours before I become so parched that I wake up for water and notice it regardless.

Then again I always was a light sleeper.

I always thought it a curse but after reading this I guess it can sometimes be useful.

Posted

remember the storms of the 80,s to mid 90,s lasted for hours took power and phones out..i can remember going 2oh poop oh poop oh poop" because i had a 30 foot antenna on top of the house :)) ..

what happend ..the power of the lightning aswell seamed stronger..

but try camping under the june 2005 mcs that hit glastonbury .. thunder so loud it sounded like 15 chavs with bats killing a wheely bin..lightning zipping above you ..watching most of the stages getting hit ..then the pennards flood...that was my last big storm...sigh

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Oh, I wouldn't even go to sleep if I knew a storm was forecast lol biggrin.png plenty of coffee to keep me awake. I used to stay up until the early hours years ago when we used to get the Spanish plumes... ooh no I wouldn't dare go to sleep. laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Night time lightning is amazing. Had some a couple of weeks ago, albeit elevated, and it was sooooo much better than the daytime thundery showers we have had recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Somehow I managed to sleep through the storms which caused flash flooding and landslides near my location last week, thunder and lightning went on from around 12-3am.... Gutted :p