Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Web Security Problems

Posted

hi

I am looking for advice on what I suspect is a Bullguard issue-see my comments in the model thread

request for help

As most know I use the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 day 500mb anomaly ouputs.

I use these two links but neither seems to work. I have e mailed NOAA to ask if they have a problem but I suspect it may be something wrong with my pc-gawd only knows what.

Is everyone else able to open these two links please? If so has anyone any ideas why I cannot-thanks for any help.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

John

Bullguard seems not to be happy with sites unless they have https not http only.

How do I get over this please?

It sometimes blocks this site as well-or rather does not show the charts, just a small cross in a small box in the top left corner.

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

again no s in the prefix?

thanks for any help

John

Posted

The blocked images seem to be .gifs, is there a setting specifically blocking them for some reason?

They load fine here, I have free MSE.

Unless you have to have Bullguard on a work PC or something you could change it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

John have a look at your firewall settings on Bullguard to see if it`s blocking certain sites.

Another thought try turning your ad blocker off temporarily to see if allows those links to work.

Good luck.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I would try disabling BullGuard altogether. However my experience with software firewalls that despite saying they're disabled they still running and blocking sites. I therefore normally remove them altogether if disabling doesn't work.

Worth also trying another web browser too see if fixes the issue. Anyway the links work for me with firefox 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Works fine for me JH, there should be settings for internet that allow sites that are blocked by the software to be allowed.

Posted

To all those folk who made helpful comments in here on ir the model thread many thanks. My apologies to everyone for initially asking for help in the model thread. I did intend to go into the admin/mods section and ask them to put a note asking for the help to be directed to this thread but fate-ie the bloody pc intervened and its only now I can access the forum. Extra not a problem throughout. Accessing now via Google Chrome as IE 8 replacing IE 7 still will not let me inot the forum. Same error I need

Javascript Disabled Detected

You currently have javascript disabled. Several functions may not work. Please re-enable javascript to access full functionality.

heaven knows why as I and subsequently the pc boffin has cleared the old one and reloaded the new after IE8 was uploaded.

Are'nt pc's just the most b minded pieces of kit ever devised. Anyway with GC I can now access NOAA again-I think!

again tks and apologies about the model thread getting cluttered.

Oh my own web site has a rather odd forecast page now on IE8 gawd alone knows how to get rid of that-visit on GC and its not there!

Posted

spoke to chuffing soon re NOAA

Can someone give me their web addresses for

6-10 day 500mb anomaly charts

and the same(should be identical) for the 8-14 one

also the ENSO/MJO/AO and NAO link as I think my data is not up to date?

many thanks

can anyone tell me how to copy and paste in GC in here as there do not seem to be any buttons but then I am well known for pc illiteracy!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

spoke to chuffing soon re NOAA

Can someone give me their web addresses for

6-10 day 500mb anomaly charts

and the same(should be identical) for the 8-14 one

also the ENSO/MJO/AO and NAO link as I think my data is not up to date?

many thanks

can anyone tell me how to copy and paste in GC in here as there do not seem to be any buttons but then I am well known for pc illiteracy!

You are having a time of it John.

Here`s the link for the discussion page for the NOAA site

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

you can get to all the other data from there by clicking on the relevent link on the the list to the left of that page.

I have never used GC John but i would have thought copy and pasting is the same -ie right click on the item/click copy and then place curser where you want the item and click paste?or am i misunderstanding your problem?

If you are still none the wiser please PM me and i will try and help further or if you need any more links.

Regards,Phil

Posted

thanks phil and for the pm-

You are having a time of it John.

Here`s the link for the discussion page for the NOAA site

http://www.cpc.ncep....day/fxus06.html

you can get to all the other data from there by clicking on the relevent link on the the list to the left of that page.

I have never used GC John but i would have thought copy and pasting is the same -ie right click on the item/click copy and then place curser where you want the item and click paste?or am i misunderstanding your problem?

If you are still none the wiser please PM me and i will try and help further or if you need any more links.

Regards,Phil

Posted

hi and help again!

Re the 500mb check thread.

Has anyone any idea, why in Google Chrome it allows me to post in the basic file upload but not the advanced please?

I am still unable in IE even after deleting any programme with java in the name and then reloading then updgrading to IE8 to get into the forum area. It continues to show the comment about javascript being disabled.

I am about to fly out or rather go to Manchester to go to Geneva visiting friends in eastern France so I will be away until late Monday evening but after that I would appreciate any ideas.

My pc guru(s) say it is some problem in the java not Bullguard. When I get back the first step will be to disable Bullguard and see if that helps. Beyond that who knows?

tara for now and again my thanks for the helpful posts I have had and pm's-much appreciated.

oh and by the way for doubters the 500mb anomaly charts do seem to suggest a fairly good outlook from 6/7to 15 days is possible using them NOT the 4x4 or 2x2 daily main synoptic model outputs but then that is just my opinion!

Posted

I think you / your pc guru are confusing java and javascript. Java is the program you download and which runs some (but very few) bits on websites (and nothing on netweather), javascript is built into the browser and doesn't require downloading.

What happens when you click to use the advanced uploader?

Posted

hi and help again!

Re the 500mb check thread.

Has anyone any idea, why in Google Chrome it allows me to post in the basic file upload but not the advanced please?

I am still unable in IE even after deleting any programme with java in the name and then reloading then updgrading to IE8 to get into the forum area. It continues to show the comment about javascript being disabled.

I am about to fly out or rather go to Manchester to go to Geneva visiting friends in eastern France so I will be away until late Monday evening but after that I would appreciate any ideas.

My pc guru(s) say it is some problem in the java not Bullguard. When I get back the first step will be to disable Bullguard and see if that helps. Beyond that who knows?

tara for now and again my thanks for the helpful posts I have had and pm's-much appreciated.

oh and by the way for doubters the 500mb anomaly charts do seem to suggest a fairly good outlook from 6/7to 15 days is possible using them NOT the 4x4 or 2x2 daily main synoptic model outputs but then that is just my opinion!

You will probably see this when you get back John but i found this link on how to enable Javascript in different web browsers.

http://www.enable-javascript.com/

Hope this helps.

Posted

Yes back phil and many thanks for your help including the pm.

Sadly it aint solving the problem. In Google Chrome, as this is, I can access the forum and it tells me when I click on the site you have given that all is working fine. It ain't though. If I use IE8 I cannot access the forum and still get the message its disabled(javascript that is).

To the comment from Paul yes I meant Javascript=my sloppy phrasing.

I also have an additional problem in that if I try to reply to a post it copies it x2 and will not allow me to amend it in full editor, tells me there are the wrong number of tags!

I am talking to the pc folk tomorrow in the hope(!) that they can eventually sort the ruddy problem out.

Neither IE8 nor Google Chrome will allow me, other than about 1 in 4 tries to get the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 day web site!!

Apart from that the pc seems quite well!

Posted

John, What about trying Firefox ? Since you have every other browser one more won't hurt ? Plus it should copy all of your favourites etc across to the browser.

One other 'last chance saloon' idea might be to download the Eusing "Free Registry Cleaner" and running that just to clean the registry up a bit. Sometimes that can provide a miraculous fix and it will not destroy anything in the process so it is worth doing in any case. I suggest Eusing because I use it and it works and it is not shareware or trying to make you download other garbage

Posted

many thanks B for your suggestions. I will try them tomorrow.

Posted

I'd probably wait to get your pc person to look at the reg cleaner, as if that goes wrong you could be in real trouble! Are you still using bullguard John? If so, have you tried switching it off temporarily to see if that solves the issue?

Posted

thanks Paul, I'll do as you say, yes I am still using Bullguard and wondering still if it is at the rout of at least some of the problems, hopefully the pc bloke can really sort the issues out very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

You really could not make this up!

pc away almost 2 days, I went yesterday pm to the workshop, my pc up and doing all it should, NOAA, Net Wx etc etc. Tried the various bits that had not worked=all okay. PC brought back and linked up by the engineer, another check on all the items that had been causing problems. All fine, did another check about 1 hour later, all fine, went out, simply linked into the NOAA site to download the 6-10 and 8-14 outlokks=nothing, just the same as before for almost all the NOAA links other than the main site. Same again this morning.

The view was that there had been some kind of confliction following various routine Microsft updates, indeed to do the copy and paste a different method has to be used now as the updates have disabled the way it was done. The Javascript has been updated so no problems in accessing Net Weather. The NOAA sites used for ENSO, NAO< AO< 500mb etc all worked fine but have stopped doing so again so its back to the drawing board for the pc team-gawd alone knows how much all this is going to cost me.

But many thanks for all the help from some of you folk and especially for the copies of the 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks. Would you mind doing them until I can get this issue resolved please, but I will understand if you decide not to keep doing this for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

You really could not make this up!

pc away almost 2 days, I went yesterday pm to the workshop, my pc up and doing all it should, NOAA, Net Wx etc etc. Tried the various bits that had not worked=all okay. PC brought back and linked up by the engineer, another check on all the items that had been causing problems. All fine, did another check about 1 hour later, all fine, went out, simply linked into the NOAA site to download the 6-10 and 8-14 outlokks=nothing, just the same as before for almost all the NOAA links other than the main site. Same again this morning.

The view was that there had been some kind of confliction following various routine Microsft updates, indeed to do the copy and paste a different method has to be used now as the updates have disabled the way it was done. The Javascript has been updated so no problems in accessing Net Weather. The NOAA sites used for ENSO, NAO< AO< 500mb etc all worked fine but have stopped doing so again so its back to the drawing board for the pc team-gawd alone knows how much all this is going to cost me.

But many thanks for all the help from some of you folk and especially for the copies of the 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks. Would you mind doing them until I can get this issue resolved please, but I will understand if you decide not to keep doing this for me.

I'll keep posting until you let me know all is okay. If I've a problem, ie. not able to access a computer for a 24 hour period, I'll post this information beforehand.

Posted

that is very kind and much appreciated

additional

reverted to IE7=no different other than some of the Net Wx functions are not where they were on IE8.

Google Chrome is fine on Net Wx and also allows me to access the various NOAA sites?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi John,

A couple of things worth a try.

Firstly do a check on Windows and Java to see if you're due any updates and download them

Secondly check you settings in Bullguard for Internet access as follows

1. Open BullGuard and go to the Firewall section > Overview tab.

2. Make sure there is no check mark in the box next to the "Block entire traffic (Panic switch)" option.

3. Select the Advanced user level and go to the Profiles tab.

4. Make sure the "Custom Security" profile is active and then double-click it.

5. Select the Application Rules tab from the window that appears and allow Internet access for all your legitimate programs.

6. Click OK in order to confirm the changes and close BullGuard's console.

Worth a try but not easy to diagnose without seeing it up front, will PM as well

Posted

hi all

Very many thanks to all those who have given advice, all of it has been tried.

Fingers corssed, as I've just pm'd Steve C to thank for dropping the 500mb charts in the forum for me, it SEEMS to be fine now.

Just exactly what the problem was neither I not it seems my pc guru are not sure about.

To me having the pc cleared properly, Javascript cleared then reloaded, Bullguard deleted and AVG free put in its place does appear at the moment to have done the trick.

I no longer have a message at least every other day from Bullguard telling me its blocked my Davis data from downloading, the pc is certainly faster, even though the BT test suggests its operating at about the same speed as it has since I got fibre optics, I can log on with IE8 into the forum, no odd things happeng on there, I can access any web site, copy and paste (NOAA charts for example) as I've always been able to do up to 2-3 months ago. Microsoft updating did seem to be the trigger at times but its updated this morning and so far no negative things from it.

So fingers crossed that I have an error free time-one can but hope.

again my thanks to all those who offered or gave help.

John

Edited by johnholmes