Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 5 Day 3 - Or Not Listening To Spc Anymore Naa Naa Naa

IanM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Ok, so instead of a giant sausage of risk in Kansas, SPC kindly removed the Kansan part of the sausage, leaving us looking at a huge distance to chase a changing risk.

Sooo, discretion, valour etc, we're going to position for tomorrows Dakotan risk, which has more pleasantly dropped southward, leaving us with a 260 mile ish hop to Pierre, via the Badlands, and a chance of Aurora and star spotting tonight.

If the form book holds, SPC will reattach the sausage and then issue an MD and Tornado watch for North Platte approximately 3 hours after we leave here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

http://spaceweather....ota&city=Pierre

Ian , just in case you have clear skies . These are the satellites which you will be able to see from Piere or just around there. The lower the magnitude the brighter the satellite will be.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

post-2466-0-76240900-1339867166_thumb.pn

Active: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forecast: Auroral activity will be active. Weather permitting, active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Inuvik, Yellowknife, Rankin and Igaluit to Juneau, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Sept-Iles, and visible low on the horizon from Vancouver, Great Falls, Pierre, Madison, Lansing, Ottawa, Portland and St. Johns.

Forecaster Comments: A solar event occurred on the 14th of June that will lead to increased auroral activity that may be visible in southern Canada and northern United States. We expect the auroral activity index to be 4 or greater. Watch the short term forecast at http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/.

The nights are too bright to see the aurora in northern Canada, Alaska, Russia and Scandinavia.

So you might be able to see some of the northern lights from where you are heading.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Are they better than a Burger King Double Angus?

Posted

Are they better than a Burger King Double Angus?

Miles better will get someone to post a picture it was huge.

We are now checked in at the best western Pierre south dekota

Posted

I camped somewhere near Pierre SD in Aug 1973 on a vacation trip, after a daytime high of about 105 F there was a hell-raising thunderstorm that forced us into our vehicle and the wind blew the picnic tables all over the campground (this was about midnight as I recall). Looks like a good active day tomorrow in eastern SD or southwest MN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think I can oblige with the picture

gallery_1056_887_5779.jpg

Blimey! There must be a week's worth of calories in that monster!

Posted

Looking at latest guidance, Sunday afternoon a powerful cold front is likely to explode into a line squall type situation in central to northern ND after crossing into U.S. from SK and western MB. This will move southeast into western MN and northeast SD by about 0200z which is approximately sunset in that part of the world. Then it will evolve into an MCS and keep going most of the night across MN and SD into northern IA.

I would be cautious about heading much further north as the system could accelerate and trap chasers behind the line squall.

Posted

Boy I'm really going to struggle with the hugh portion sizes next year. Looks like I'll be giving away 90% of my meals by the size of that burger.

Gail, it's easy.

Just make sure you're on the same tour as Big Dog, then whatever you cant eat, will be used to fill in the gaps between mealsrofl.gif