Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

The New Cookie Law

Seems a rather silly law. Anyway I'm wondering how compliant many sites are. If enter the more major sites by the home page you may get as pop up (Unless it's filtered out) and you chose what to do. If don't enter via the homepage you don't get this option. Good example is the BBC news page. Go directly to that it tell you about cookies just go directly to the sports page you don't get anything telling you about cookies.

Is that compliance or not.

Also if you ignore the cookie statement it either goes away like it does on netweather weather or lets you continue anyway.

I checked my own site and apparently it's uses flash cookies, one from pay pal and one from netweather which surprises me but I guess that's from the weather feed I have. So technically I should put a warning up but can't be bothered at the moment.

However if people don't enter via the homepage and that's the only page you have to have the warning with isn't all rather pointless?

Not at all. Wide awake. It's just a rather pointless ruling. Especially if you can just ignore the pop up or by pass it altogether.

I think the law in itself is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, plus it's implementation has been a mess - the last minute change to allow implied consent being an example of this.

There could be some positive outcomes with it though, because if nothing else it is helping to make people more aware of what cookies are and what they do. What we've done, alongside the small popup (which incidentally can't be blocked as it's not a popup in the old style, new window sense) is make a new cookie page linked from the bottom of every page which gives a bit more info on the cookies we set and what they do. We've also implemented a one click method of blocking the non-essential cookies we set (for things like saving locations etc), so it's giving both info and the opportunity to make a more informed choice and that can only be a good thing.

http://www.netweathe...n=cookies;sess=

I don't think the weather feed sets a cookie btw, it looks for one so will pick the standard netweather ones up if you have one in your browser. I will double check that with Karl though, and perhaps see if it's needed as I don't really see a use for it unless the feed is using some sort of shared setting from netweather.

Well it doesn't come up on my firefox with noscript and adblock plugins so the popup can be blocked. I wonder how many bother to actually read any pop ups before dismissing them.

That's not popup blocking, thats blocking scripts from running, it'll stop a whole lot of websites displaying things or working!

The Government minister in charge of this has been announced.

Sorry, just seems very apt for this thread.

The forum doesn't have that facility built into it, but the main site does.

The Government minister in charge of this has been announced.

It is another pointless ruling, yes.

Especially since facilities to allow / disallow cookies and scripts in addition to tracking them have existed as browser addons for the last decade for those of us who wanted them, for everyone else it will just be another annoying box in their faces that they will immediately close without reading.