Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst April Through June Since?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

How could you of had 23c on the 2nd when that was on the bank holiday washout weekend? unless your mixing it up with Friday 1st?

Oh my mistake actually Id forgot the 1st when it reached 18c here, but the highest since that has been 16.2c and it was only 13.7c on the 2nd.

Lampeter is over 100 miles away from here anyway and Rugby over 60 so im sure the climate is a lot different there anyway

No mix up, the 1st was warm too, reaching 21c. Warm humid air here on the 2nd, here are the official maxima:

http://www.weatheron...kuk&SORT=3&UD=0

I checked Shawbury, your right it has been exceptionally cool in Shropshire, nothing above 18c yet:

post-2595-0-99761700-1339852480_thumb.pn

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I always sympathise with Terminal Moraine's viewpoints on the weather, as although mine aren't as unusual as his I do get a similar problem. Few people have an issue with my liking towards dry sunny weather or dislike of dull wet weather, but some people do see my enthusiasm for sunshine and showers and dislike of dry cloudy weather as somewhat perverse.

That issue has been largely irrelevant during this month so far, though, as the weather has been mostly dull and wet, leaving me in line with the popular consensus. Due to the winds off the North Sea it has been particularly cool in coastal NE England.

Posted

No mix up, the 1st was warm too, reaching 21c. Warm humid air here on the 2nd, here are the official maxima:

http://www.weatheron...kuk&SORT=3&UD=0

I checked Shawbury, your right it has been exceptionally cool in Shropshire, nothing above 18c yet:

post-2595-0-99761700-1339852480_thumb.pn

Ahh its amazing what a difference a few miles made on the 2nd, 13.7c here, 14c in Birmingham but 21c in Trawscoed!

Shawbury is actually a little warmer and typically sunnier than here to, for example there was almost 7 hours of sunshine last Saturday there and many other

local areas, I guess this slice of Shropshire is just more of a cloud magnet but on the positive side it does look like an improvement is on the cards this coming week.

Posted
I have a very dark soul! It's probably the same reason I listen to Napalm Death at high volume.

Never had you down as a Napalm Death fan TM! I suppose you listen to Carcass and Cannibal Corpse too? laugh.png

There's nothing wrong at all with anyone liking this type of weather: the only thing which gets my goat is when some people (including heat fans) try to pass it off as normal. A few days ago Peter Gibbs was wheeled out on the Daily Politics show to give us the familiar narrative of "well, you know, people tend to have unreasonable expectations of the weather in this country" and "it's normal for our summers to be cool and wet" (not verbatim quotes). Maybe some of us do have unreasonable expectations, but let's not pretend the rainfall and sunshine figures so far this month have been anything like normal: they've been exceptional. There seems to be a tendency to tag hot, dry and sunny weather in this country as unusual and cold, wet and dull weather as the norm, when in fact they're both sides of the same coin of unreliability and unpredictability which underpins the British climate.

By the way, does anyone know of any precedents which compare to this first half of June in terms of dullness? 19.7 hours so far at Nottingham and 25.2 hours at Bournemouth is beyond incredible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Never had you down as a Napalm Death fan TM! I suppose you listen to Carcass and Cannibal Corpse too? laugh.png

There's nothing wrong at all with anyone liking this type of weather: the only thing which gets my goat is when some people (including heat fans) try to pass it off as normal. A few days ago Peter Gibbs was wheeled out on the Daily Politics show to give us the familiar narrative of "well, you know, people tend to have unreasonable expectations of the weather in this country" and "it's normal for our summers to be cool and wet" (not verbatim quotes). Maybe some of us do have unreasonable expectations, but let's not pretend the rainfall and sunshine figures so far this month have been anything like normal: they've been exceptional. There seems to be a tendency to tag hot, dry and sunny weather in this country as unusual and cold, wet and dull weather as the norm, when in fact they're both sides of the same coin of unreliability and unpredictability which underpins the British climate.

By the way, does anyone know of any precedents which compare to this first half of June in terms of dullness? 19.7 hours so far at Nottingham and 25.2 hours at Bournemouth is beyond incredible.

Actually no, Ive always considered Napalm Death to be the masters of the genre and tend to think the others try rather too hard with track titles like 'Sarcophagic Frenzy'. They also have a tendency to lapse into short bursts of melody at times which I'm not a fan of- it needs to be totally uncompromising. Unsane and Meathooks are also favourites of mine but an acquired taste methinks.

Anyway back to the weather. I've kept detailed records for 50 years and there has been no summer month in that time to compare with the lack of sunshine in the first half of June, just under 18 hours here in the first 15 days and today looks likely to be the 8th completely sunless day, thereby setting a new June record.

It's also the wettest first half of any month on my records, exceeding even August 2004 which went on to be the wettest month on record- here's hoping.

Posted

This has been the best June since (my) records began, bar none. Just love the cloud,rain,cool temps and lack of sun. It's been a long haul but this time next week the days will be shortening,and I for one will heave a sigh of relief.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Winter is on the way!

Posted

It's certainly one if not the dullest and wettest first half's of June for many of us, not one of the coolest though.

Bablake, Coventry on 38 hours sunshine to the 15th, needs to reach 98 hours (1972) to not be the dullest in the 120 year record. It would only take a run of 2 or 3 sunny days to be within reach of that figure.

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

Edited by TonyH

Posted

The consistently cool temperatures have been pretty shocking. June 1991 was the last that I can remember being quite this consistently cold and wet.

Posted

1991 in Coventry at least was very cool (12.6c), but not wet (55mm).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I was at a barbecue this afternoon (yeah, dont ask) and I can hand on heart state that I can NEVER remember a summers day with such foul, horrible weather. It would have put a mid-November day to shame. At one point we were measuring 10c, amid driving rain and a biting, gusty wind. Horrendous. Can't take much more of this....!

Posted

I was at a barbecue this afternoon (yeah, dont ask) and I can hand on heart state that I can NEVER remember a summers day with such foul, horrible weather. It would have put a mid-November day to shame. At one point we were measuring 10c, amid driving rain and a biting, gusty wind. Horrendous. Can't take much more of this....!

Sums it al up in my opinion. This has to be one of the worst spells of weather ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Seriously how you can explain rationally the joy of wanting it to be exceptionally wet and dulI? Can understand the coolness part of the equation but not wanting the enormous rainfall totals that does not rationally make sense, IMO. And I don't equate excessive snowfall with excessive rainfall by the way. I can see people getting excited by a massive snowfall and a month with record breaking snowfall but not with rainfall.

To help with the drought ? ground water ?

Also if your a lazy buggar like me , heavy rain great 'excuse' not to do anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Not really noticed myself..

So you dont expect June to feel remotely warm and the sun to come out every now and again?

Posted

Anyone know where I can get local sunshine stats? I'm not sure of a website and have usually relied on waiting until the next month when the Met Office publish their maps. I'd be interested in seeing how much sun we have (or haven't) had so far, Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

.....................and the rain keeps falling................and the cool wind blows.

Yup its November June alright! mad.gif

Had I paid for what has so far been a distinctly unfunny joke of a summer month, I would have sent it back with a letter of disgust and a demand for a full refund.

Rubbish.

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

How could you of had 23c on the 2nd when that was on the bank holiday washout weekend? unless your mixing it up with Friday 1st?

Oh my mistake actually Id forgot the 1st when it reached 18c here, but the highest since that has been 16.2c and it was only 13.7c on the 2nd.

Lampeter is over 100 miles away from here anyway and Rugby over 60 so im sure the climate is a lot different there anyway

I had 23.1c on the 2nd thanks to several hours of hazy sun in the afternoon with a warm Southerly breeze ahead of a front.

But it's been oh so windy the last 48 hours, which was ok yesterday with only a few showers & plenty of sunshine however today with 90% cloud

cover and bluestery showers/drizzle has been most unpleasant!

Posted

what is doing my head in, is the strong winds, cool temps and dull, overcast skies, although it has rained here a fair bit this month, rain is not constant, dull skies, and cool temps are so i don;t mind the rain that much its all of the other depressing things that annoy me.

today was yet another windy, cool dull day just like an october day, why does high pressure love greenland so much in summer ?

Posted

Anyone know where I can get local sunshine stats? I'm not sure of a website and have usually relied on waiting until the next month when the Met Office publish their maps. I'd be interested in seeing how much sun we have (or haven't) had so far, Thanks.

Not sure how to get hold of this, but I just saw this shocking statstic posted by Brummie Snowman at TWO:

Here's a shocking statistic

Sunshine Jan 1-15: 51.6 hours

Sunshine June 1-15: 33.9 hours

(sunshine hours from Coleshill)

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I just hope that July delivers an improvement and not a continuation of the appalling, grotesque, abysmal conditions that have plagued this month so far. Still, i do believe that time is on our side. The rest of Summer will not be as bad as its been so far.

Posted

Not sure whether or not you're specifically talking about your locality, but Roger Brugge's website has sunshine stats for various stations across the country:

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I had 23.1c on the 2nd thanks to several hours of hazy sun in the afternoon with a warm Southerly breeze ahead of a front.

But it's been oh so windy the last 48 hours, which was ok yesterday with only a few showers & plenty of sunshine however today with 90% cloud

cover and bluestery showers/drizzle has been most unpleasant!

Yep. I recorded 22.8C on the 2nd also before it went downhill later that night. :)

Posted

Have to ask, did anyone foresee in late May the exceptionally poor weather we have endured since the start of the month, I doubt many did..

The most notable feature of the weather this month is just how dull it has been, many days with barely a glimmer of the sun, accompanied by a constant nagging cool wind. The last 48 hours have been exceptionally wet over the Lake District, up until Thursday rainfall totals in these parts whilst above average were nothing exceptional, but thanks to the recent rain we are now well above the June average and we still have 2 weeks to go...

Temperatures have been woeful, largely due to the lack of lengthy sunny breaks, even on dry fairly bright days maxima has struggled to get much above 15-16 degrees, we saw many a warmer day in March!.

There hasn't been one day this month when sitting outside has been pleasurable. I've not had to open my windows once this month neither, unbelievable given we are now nearing the summer solstice, what a waste of these long days..

Apart from the very warm period in late May,the weather since the start of April has been very poor, mostly cloudy cool/cold and wet.. wil things change? - the summer solstice period is often a transitional time when the northern hemisphere settles into its summer state, and all eyes are fixed on where the jetstream decides to park itself. At the moment there is no clear signal of it moving north and I fear the worse for the summer if we don't see a change in the next 2 weeks. Watch summer arrive in September yet again when its far to late..

Posted

I just hope that July delivers an improvement and not a continuation of the appalling, grotesque, abysmal conditions that have plagued this month so far.

Whatchoo talking about - has it been sunny and warm round your way or summat? Been great around here...