Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Competition For Premier League Tv Rights Hots Up, Announcement Imminent

Al-Jazeera is reportedly vying with Sky and ESPN in the multi-billion pound action to secure live UK television rights to the Premier League.

The Guardian's sources indicate that a new player, thought to be rolling news broadcaster al-Jazeera, has joined current rights holders Sky and ESPN in the bidding, forcing it to a second round.

The companies are bidding for the UK TV and digital rights to 154 Premier Leagues games a season for three years from August 2013, 16 more per season than currently broadcast.

Bids for the rights must be in by lunchtime on Wednesday (June 13th), and it is thought that the winners could even be announced on the same day, or early Thursday.

The Guardian notes that the fact that the 2012 auction has gone to another round with no announcement on a clear winner so far from the league suggests that the competition is fierce.

No single broadcaster is allowed to hold more than 116 games under the bidding arrangement, meaning ESPN could increase its current allocation of 23 live matches up to 38, but the broadcaster is not thought to be keen to take on Sky.

The threat to Sky from al-Jazeera is credible, as the Qatar-based broadcaster already produces English-language commentary of football matches for expats throughout the Middle East on al-Jazeera +3.

Last year, al-Jazeera also surprised Canal+ by beating it to the live rights to various football tournaments in France, including Euro 2012 and Euro 2016, UEFA Champions League football and the FA Cup.

Al-Jazeera launched a sports channel in France on June 1.

The BBC has already agreed a new three-season deal to retain the free-to-air highlights to Premier Leagues games for its Match of the Day programme with a bid of £179.7m

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a386819/competition-for-premier-league-tv-rights-hots-up.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/12/premier-league-tv-rights-auction

It would be quite funny if Sky lost its Premier League coverage.

al-Jazeera would be good, There blew canel+ out the water in France, Sky would not allow it to happen tho.. As would be the end for Sky... I hope it does tho... Gary Lineker does al-Jazeera football

This is the first time that Sky have had a serious threat to its coverage, al-Jazeera could out bid Sky any day as there loaded with cash, they've just proved that in France, al-Jazeera already have studios in England at ITV's HQ which is why the use Gary Lineker as there lead presenter

If and its a big if Sky were to loose its 115 games they have now to much less they would still have ample sports to show

Masters / US Open golf - 2014

Heineken Cup - 2014

Champions League - 2015

Football League / Carling Cup - 2015

ICC cricket - 2015

England rugby union - 2015

Super League - 2016

US Tour golf - 2017

ECB cricket - 2017 (+ option to 2019)

Formula One - 2018

Euro Tour golf / Ryder Cup - 2018

Sky also have 6 Darts tournaments under contract, as well as Premier League Snooker and the Snooker shoot-out

All the following is also up for grabs soon which al-Jazeera could bid for

England away WC qualifiers - September 2012

Spanish football - September 2012

NFL - September 2012

Aviva Premiership - September 2013

ATP Tennis - January 2014

they use Gary Lineker as there lead presenter

I thought Gary Lineker was BBC, any videos or details of the type of work he does there.

Extensive debate on this topic on this thread .

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58804001

It seems unlikely Sky will have no coverage but there is a possibility that Al Jazeera may take some of their picks at the moment.

If so desired Al Jazeera has enough Money to blow Sky out of the water, so very interesting to see what happens.

I don't want it to be distributed across too many broadcasters, just means more subscriptions.

The Premier League have called a Press conference for 17:00 this afternoon where they are expected to announce the winners of the TV rights for the 2013 to 2016

I don't want it to be distributed across too many broadcasters, just means more subscriptions.

Although i love sport i have never subscribed to any sports channels...im happy just to watch MOTD and the football league show and European football if and when its on..even it was free i wouldn't watch 100+ EPL games i neither have the time or the desire too. The trouble is that it has created a breed of 'fans' that are actually clueless about football and i can see English 'fans' becoming like sports supporters across the pond here all too soon.

Announcement out

BSkyB + BT win live rights to Premier League in UK for 2013-14 to 2015-16. No ESPN or al Jazeera

£3.081bn deal

Sky get 116 games

BT secures surprise rights to show 38 Premier League football matches a season from 2013-14

Sky Sports landed five of the seven available packages, meaning supporters will see 116 live Premier League matches.

The deal means Super Sunday and Monday Night Football games will remain on Sky Sports with further games to be shown on Saturday evenings.

Sky has been awarded the following packs:

B: 26 matches (mainly Saturday at 5.30pm)

C: 26 matches - Sunday at 1.30pm

D: 26 matches - Sunday at 4pm

E: 26 matches (mainly Monday at 8.00pm)

F: 12 matches - Saturday at 5.30pm

Total – 116 matches each season.

Sky will show 115 live and exclusive Premier League matches next season (2012-13) in the final year of the existing Premier League rights agreement.

BT said it would launch a new football-focused channel to carry the games.

"It will offer new interactive features when supplied over BT's fibre network and we will look to distribute it on other platforms," the telecoms firm said

Under the new agreement, BT secured two of the seven packages on offer, showing 28 Saturday lunchtime games, including the opening game of the season, and 10 matches taking place on bank holidays or midweek evenings.

I'm a bt vision customer so I'm very happy with this news, with iptv delivered channels coming soon to bt along with Live football bt are becoming a very attractive alternative to sky.