Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Jet Stream

ohno

Can i make an observation?? Why is the Jet stream expected to be more norther than it currently is? A bbc weather forecaster just said this.. From what i've seen in recent summers this is not the case..

Maybe its not meant to be? and on occasion it does drift slightly more north or lessons to some extent.

But that in an exception to the rule...

Sorry am no weather expert.. But i'd like to know what exactly the facts are regarding the Jet Stream..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Can i make an observation?? Why is the Jet stream expected to be more norther than it currently is? A bbc weather forecaster just said this.. From what i've seen in recent summers this is not the case..

Maybe its not meant to be? and on occasion it does drift slightly more north or lessons to some extent.

But that in an exception to the rule...

Sorry am no weather expert.. But i'd like to know what exactly the facts are regarding the Jet Stream..

You would expect the jet stream to pull slightly further north and weaken during summer as the polar vortex shrinks away and the temperature differential between the polar regions and the ITCZ (inter tropical convergence zone/ equatorial regions) diminishes as the Northern Hemisphere gradually warms during the summer months and the contrast between the warmer areas towards the equator and the cooler areas towards the arctic lessens. However, I think there is also a case for the goal posts being moved somewhat after an extraordinary run of warmer than average summers during the 90's and 00's to which we became accustomed to.

This being said, I can't really offer an explanation as to why the jet seems to have been more prone to amplifying for extended periods of time over the last few years; this phenomenon has certainly been bringing some extreme weather to parts with the Russian heatwaves and the extreme cold of December 2010 in the UK being examples of this.

Edited by CreweCold

The lastest summer forecast? its not possible to predict the weather in the uk long range anyhow..ive read numerous predictions in advanced most of the predicting a good summer..

When on reality the jet stream stays to the south of us on many occasions.. Thats the way the weather is in the uk.

Then we get other forecasters telling us to keep our fingers crossed the weather improves by the end of the month.. I wish the truth was told about the jet stream.. It barely goes to the north of us.. In recent times its been even further south...

2012 will be another average to poor summer.

Posted

The lastest summer forecast? its not possible to predict the weather in the uk long range anyhow..

So how do you qualify those two opposite statements then??? huh.png

Posted

But you say 'the experts' can't give a long range forecast for the Summer and then you issue one yourself? You say 'the experts' get it wrong all of the time. Who do you mean by 'the experts' and please show how they get it wrong 'all of the time'.

Seems like this is a comment without qualification or evidence to me, can you back it up with illustrations please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The lastest summer forecast? its not possible to predict the weather in the uk long range anyhow..ive read numerous predictions in advanced most of the predicting a good summer..

When on reality the jet stream stays to the south of us on many occasions.. Thats the way the weather is in the uk.

Then we get other forecasters telling us to keep our fingers crossed the weather improves by the end of the month.. I wish the truth was told about the jet stream.. It barely goes to the north of us.. In recent times its been even further south...

Which is precisely why I don't bother...

Well there was last summers forecast of summer of 76..weatheroutlook predicted a good start to June.. You can gurantee no one predicted how poor April was going to be.. The long range forecasting doesnt seem to work.. I was being truthful personally when it came to this summer. Having seen how the last 6 summers have gone.. Its been a similar patern..

Im no expert but i do understand the jet stream and to be frank its this south because its meant to be.. Thats all my annoyance is about..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Down with them "experts", power to the people and COMMON SENSE...Them eggheads know nuthing!

Ahem..sorry...