Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

PIT, you are rather rude, the old style rainfall radar from the met office is no longer showing the weather warning links like it used to.

The problem is, the new rainfall radar page will not open on my htc, and the met office 'mobile' pages are next to useless.

well clearly i looked hence the reason for the post above ! There not showing on my phone ! Also no need for the caravany comment ! Just plain rude. Grow up

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

OK ,

The met office warnings are so damn "wobbly" that anywhere could be hit by this heavy rain.

Tonight and tomorrow is going to be VERY interesting. Even chance of some thunder tomorrow :)

Posted

Here's a nice satellite shot

W_2248448b.jpg

Starting to rain nasty here now.

that is a scary looking storm for the time of year, how long will it take to pass over do you guys think?

Posted

that is a scary looking storm for the time of year, how long will it take to pass over do you guys think?

Considering this is midday Saturday...

Quite some time!

ukwind.png

This convergence line however is quite interesting tonight..

ukwind.pngprectypeuktopo.png

I think this is part of that forming line... ( Anyone? )

post-182-0-77063500-1339701344_thumb.png

Ah:

That lines a "Upper"cold front.

Doh.. Wow.. Thats gonna be interesting tonight!

PPVA89.png

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Here's a nice satellite shot

W_2248448b.jpg

Starting to rain nasty here now.

Great image, this is going to bring more flooding.

Posted

Ah:

That lines a "Upper"cold front.

Doh.. Wow.. Thats gonna be interesting tonight!

PPVA89.png

Stunning inflow ahead of the upper Cold Front, the low cloud largely lifted to reveal a thick Cirrus layer immediately leading onto Nimbostratus and there

was scud racing E-W on the strong surface wind! That was half an hour ago, it's now pouring down.

Posted

Right, 1st lot of sferics popping up.

Ill be in the convective forum from now on :) Happy windy friday!

Posted

ITV News make me laugh, They are reporting a "once in 50 year storm event" starting tonight. If this is worse than the storms of 86 then why are they the only ones warning us? A quick search reveals their source as the Daily Fail........That figures.

Posted

ITV News make me laugh, They are reporting a "once in 50 year storm event" starting tonight. If this is worse than the storms of 86 then why are they the only ones warning us? A quick search reveals their source as the Daily Fail........That figures.

and the Mirror is on to that too:

A 'once in 50 years' storm: More flood misery as UK set to be hit by 70mph winds and month's worth of rain in next 24 hours

A deluge of up to 80mm of rain could fall in the space of just 12 hours, a downpour occurring just once every 50 years.

A 'once in 50 years' storm: More flood misery as UK set to be hit by 70mph winds and month's worth of rain in next 24 hours A deluge of up to 80mm of rain could fall in the space of just 12 hours, a downpour occurring just once every 50 years. Flood warnings have been issued in parts of England and Wales with a month’s worth of rain and winds of up to 70mph expected in the next 24 hours.

After a dry period of respite for many parts of Britain yesterday, the wet weather is set to return this evening and get worse going into tomorrow as a slow-moving area of low pressure brings thundery showers and strong winds. The Met Office has issued a new warning of wet and windy weather with periods of persistent heavy rain for parts of Wales and south-western England from late today until Saturday. The Weather Channel also predicted up to 110mm of rain in 48 hours, with a 50 per cent chance of a once-in-50 years 80mm downpour in just 12 hours.

Forecaster Leon Brown reportedly said: “There’s a 50 per cent possibility of extreme downpours seeing over 80mm of rain in 12 hours in south and east Wales, which is a once-in-50 years event. “The greatest intensity of rain will be early Thursday night and again on Friday daytime. Overall, up to 110mm is expected in Wales in just over 48 hours to midnight Saturday. “This rainfall will be widespread across river catchment areas and could completely overwhelm rivers downstream.

“There is a high risk of flooding, with the situation made even worse by ground being saturated from previous rain this week.â€

http://www.mirror.co...50-years-883219

Posted

and the Mirror is on to that too:

http://www.mirror.co...50-years-883219

Whats the plan lol?

Its a nice day here..

Posted

Another sodden Friday, not a gale this time, let's hope no repeats of last weeks floods. Almost an inch since it started yesterday afternoon and very heavy this morning with plenty to come

Posted

Nothing but a few showers here today so far. Can't say I'm displeased, but a thunderstorm or two before the end of the Summer might be nice. Wind has picked up slowly through the day but I don't see anything devastating or up to 80mph just yet (I'll give the newspapers until the end of the weekend before any real analysis and rebuke!!!). In fact we've had quite a bit more sunshine than I thought - result!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Had a feeling that the se coast yellow warning may have been wrong. The low pressure pushed the trough further east, just grazing the far se corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I have made two maps for today, one is for the gales today in the south and west and the other is for the heavy rain/downpours and possible thunderstorms.

Heavyrain/flooding/convective map(my new type of map i'm trying out, it's 3D effect!)

post-11361-0-08192700-1339823934_thumb.g

-

Gale/very strong winds only map

post-11361-0-27412500-1339823968_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Well we in the SE didn't get the rain or gales as strongly as initially forecast and as yet, nothing like the papers are touting. Has anyone seen winds of between 60mph or 80 mph to warrant the 'once in 50 years storm' moniker yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

An amber warning has been issued for a small part of the north west, heavy rain and strong winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Could be interesting later as the low pressure deepens over the UK, then we'll see westerly gales developing over the Irish Sea and affecting parts of NW England, SW Scotland and Wales - which is already quite windy at the moment. Very poor for the time of year but an interesting weather day coming up as the low pressure develops throughout the day.