Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nao Forecast For Winter 2012/2013

Posted

A according to Matt Hugo, the EC seasonal forecast update signals a -ve pressure anomaly to the NW of the UK, meaning a +NAO, ultimately meaning wet, windy & mild.

Very early days but the current signs don't seem to be good for Winter 2012/13. Cold weather lovers may well have to pay for this cool Summer in 5/6 months time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Very early days but the current signs don't seem to be good for Winter 2012/13. Cold weather lovers may well have to pay for this cool Summer in 5/6 months time!

Unfortunetly not.

As Matt Hugo has said, the EC Seasonal output back in March did forecast the current +ve pressure anomaly we have now to our north west correctly, and it has been upgraded from system 3 to system 4 ( ie higher res ), so it shouldn't be ignored.

This and the QBO do forecast a rather mild and wet winter. However, at this stage, we obviously do have plenty of time.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

That is actually debatable.

The -PDO which seems to be persisting bodes well.

The -QBO could peak as late as September (or now) so winter will be neutral.

The +MEI (El Nino) is unlikely to be strengthening through winter and is not a bad thing necessarily anyway.

Ultimately depends on which of those signals is the most powerful but i would be leaning towards a -AO in December and January at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That is actually debatable.

The -PDO which seems to be persisting bodes well.

The -QBO could peak as late as September (or now) so winter will be neutral.

The +MEI (El Nino) is unlikely to be strengthening through winter and is not a bad thing necessarily anyway.

Ultimately depends on which of those signals is the most powerful but i would be leaning towards a -AO in December and January at this stage.

Agreed, 2009/10 winter had a strong Nino and it was the coldest for 30 years, thank god there wont be a significant Nina event this winter, anything around neutral ENSO or above will do for me, i know this is not massively scientific but if you look at the ENSO signal for the last few winters then one would be forgiven for thinking that La Nina is what has given us the shocking last winter and a half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

just a hunch with no scientific reasoning whatsoever.... NAO negative going into autumn, an indian summer on the way me thinks....then turning positive till January, wet windy early winter... then something a little more seasonal.... Negative NAO from January onwards...as I said no reasoning just a hunch and gut feeling.

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

It does seem at this stage that the jet stream is heading north over the next week or so giving us more typical summer conditions. I am starting the think we will end up with another indian summer like that we have had over the last 6/7 years again, as a strengthing Azores high begins to appear. I really don't understand why people are already going for a average/above average winter in terms of rainfall and temperature. I could really see a possible repeat of 2009 (But not to the same extent) What do you guys think?

Posted

Have been looking at the quarters since 1950 which have seen at least 2 months 1.5C or more below the 1981-2010 averages.

Data indicates that actually El Nino is the better bet for a cooler Q4 and Q1 with a transitional QBO (it must be a miracle but that is the conditions expected in the upcoming winter).

Raw data is below.....

oct: 10.7

nov: 7.1

dec: 4.6

jan: 4.4

feb: 4.4

mar: 6.6

jan

feb

mar

oct

nov

dec

q1

1954*: e1

1955**: l2

1963*: l1

1969*: e2

1970*: e1

1979**: e1/+1

1980*: e2/-1

1985**: l1/+1

1986*: e1/+1

2010*: e2/-2

70% El Nino

60% +QBO

q4

1952**: e1

1962*: l1

1981*: e1/-1

1993*: e2/-1

2010*: l2/+2

60% El Nino

66% -QBO

Posted

http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest

Confirmed - 4th longest -PDO streak (one more month puts us into 3rd, a couple of months puts us into second).

The comparable periods are 1970-1972, 1961-1963 and 1948-1951.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After this awful summer I hope we get another mild winter, last winter was lovely with just the one short lived cold spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Well the summer been so crap lets hope the winter makes it up with lots of snow and cold.

Posted

After this awful summer I hope we get another mild winter, last winter was lovely with just the one short lived cold spell

I find it interesting how much the Brits expect in winter because that 'short lived cold spell' delivered a 12 day mean below 0C, not short at all historically.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Be prepared for people to quickly put you down in the winter season like people but cool lovers down during the summer - because you're in the very small minority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The current IOD maps for winter (December to February) suggest it to be a drier than average again for many parts

tprep.glob.DJF2013.1jul2012.gif

Temperature wise some parts of the north west, scotland and northern ireland are below average but for england and wales were average or just slightly above average

temp2.glob.DJF2013.1jul2012.gif

Posted

I find it interesting how much the Brits expect in winter because that 'short lived cold spell' delivered a 12 day mean below 0C, not short at all historically.

Yes, last winters 'one cold spell' was for England a preety potent one all the same with a mean below 0 degree over a quite lengthy 12 day period and not the 3-4 day cold spells we endured through most winters from 07/08 through to 08/09. I think it will be forgotton quite quickly unfortunately because of the severe lengthy cold spells in late Nov - Dec 10 and more generally mid dec - mid jan 09/10. It was also a proper wintry spell with snow on the ground for quite a number of days and a notable freezing rain event took place.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

February 2012 - snow lying on the ground for more than a week here - temps down to -12 or -13C at Church Fenton - actually Church Fenton was -12C at 2am in February at one point - cloud ruined it - could have gotten seriously low.

It was more of a southern cold spell though.

Edited by Aaron

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some interesting early thoughts and signs from Matt Hugo concerning the upcoming winter:

http://t.co/k67pnkvR http://t.co/KaGaRjuB

ECMWF seasonal update is out covering D/J/F & has a -ve pressure anom to the E of the UK, with potential ridging to the W...Troughing to the E in winter isn't a bad thing and the +NAO pattern isn't as strong as the July update with temps near/slightly below avg

There is also a strong signal in the ECMWF seasonal for higher pressure over the poles and hence a -AO pattern is evident by the looks.

Seasonal ECM update is interesting esp D/J/F for N Hem with a clear signal for a +ve pressure anom over the pole -AO etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Some interesting early thoughts and signs from Matt Hugo concerning the upcoming winter:

http://t.co/k67pnkvR http://t.co/KaGaRjuB

ECMWF seasonal update is out covering D/J/F & has a -ve pressure anom to the E of the UK, with potential ridging to the W...Troughing to the E in winter isn't a bad thing and the +NAO pattern isn't as strong as the July update with temps near/slightly below avg

There is also a strong signal in the ECMWF seasonal for higher pressure over the poles and hence a -AO pattern is evident by the looks.

Seasonal ECM update is interesting esp D/J/F for N Hem with a clear signal for a +ve pressure anom over the pole -AO etc

If this comes off it could be good news for winter lovers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If this comes off it could be good news for winter lovers.

Unless, like almost all LRFs, it changes next week?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just been looking at the MEI and QBO data for the coming weekend and the QBO will peak anytime between now and November (we had the joint strongest -QBO value for August).

The MEI value surprisingly dropped and cold water has developed near the American coast at the surface, this may simply be a short term thing or result in neutrality for winter.

1984 looks the strongest analogue overall.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just been looking at the MEI and QBO data for the coming weekend and the QBO will peak anytime between now and November (we had the joint strongest -QBO value for August).

The MEI value surprisingly dropped and cold water has developed near the American coast at the surface, this may simply be a short term thing or result in neutrality for winter.

1984 looks the strongest analogue overall.

How close were the analogues last winter sb? Did any years come close to the winter recorded?

Posted

How close were the analogues last winter sb? Did any years come close to the winter recorded?

2008: -0.7

1999: -1.2

1995: -0.6

1985: -0.2

1970: -1.5

1967:

These were the analogues i used last winter (ignore the value next to them) - don't have the CET data on hand so see if any were close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

2008: -0.7

1999: -1.2

1995: -0.6

1985: -0.2

1970: -1.5

1967:

These were the analogues i used last winter (ignore the value next to them) - don't have the CET data on hand so see if any were close.

I can't believe you spent so long working out the analogue years and then didn't check after the event!!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/ssn_HadCET_mean.txt

Above are the seasonal CET figures since 1659. I have put them next to your years to see if there is any pattern.

2008: 5.6ºC

1999: 5.4ºC

1995: 5.9ºC

1985: 2.7ºC

1970: 3.3ºC

1967: 5.1ºC

Average: 4.7ºC

and 2012: 5.1ºC

So, overall when averaged out the analogues are fairly close to the actual, but there are probably statistically significant differences in those years. Interestingly, 1967 was bang on.