Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

The Biggest Manchester Derby In History.....tonight!

I am by no means a Man U fan but I hope they go on to win the title. Simply if City win it then its the end of proper football it just means the one with the most money wins. Football is suppose to be the peoples game (lower down it still is), a City title steals the game from those who really own it and gives it to some Arab prince as his train set replacement.

Give me non league any day!

I have to agree with what you say even though as someone who lived in Manchester for 20+ years to see United lose a title to City, even if it is as one writes about a 'train set for an Arab Prince', will make a change.

By the way I also agree with the comments about football not belonging to the people but then its been like that for many years-managers salaries, even more so the players, the refusal of managers/owners to curb the dreadful behavour of the players, the FA or FIFA to get hold of the yobbish behavour etc etc.

I totally agree with this comment

I also fear that English clubs are putting their own talent aside to go and buy players and this may hit the national team.

I have to agree with what you say even though as someone who lived in Manchester for 20+ years to see United lose a title to City, even if it is as one writes about a 'train set for an Arab Prince', will make a change.

By the way I also agree with the comments about football not belonging to the people but then its been like that for many years-managers salaries, even more so the players, the refusal of managers/owners to curb the dreadful behavour of the players, the FA or FIFA to get hold of the yobbish behavour etc etc.

I totally agree with this comment

I also fear that English clubs are putting their own talent aside to go and buy players and this may hit the national team.

Massive interest in the game over here, although no mention of my club, Macclesfield Town FCs relegation to non - league football ! However, UK premier league darts is coming to Vienna with top TV billing here on ORF with Phil the Power Taylor in town ! Anyway well done City, you were the best side on the night.

although no mention of my club, Macclesfield Town FCs relegation to non - league football !

There is interest from me as my side has a chance to make the conference, so it could be anew ground for me :)

Back to this topic, my main issue is that once you allow football club to step outside what they can earn as a business, be that through the gate or mechandise etc. You open up the door to go down silly street and the game ceases to be competitive, I City's owbers can now buy the entire premier league if they wanted too.

At least Man utd, Arsenal etc try to work on some sort of budget, but neither can compete if City wants their players.

I am by no means a Man U fan but I hope they go on to win the title. Simply if City win it then its the end of proper football it just means the one with the most money wins. Football is suppose to be the peoples game (lower down it still is), a City title steals the game from those who really own it and gives it to some Arab prince as his train set replacement.

Give me non league any day!

Even Non-league is going the same way though!

Fleetwood have just bought their way out of the non-league!

(a rather sad Wrexham fan) :)

There is interest from me as my side has a chance to make the conference, so it could be anew ground for me smile.png

Back to this topic, my main issue is that once you allow football club to step outside what they can earn as a business, be that through the gate or mechandise etc. You open up the door to go down silly street and the game ceases to be competitive, I City's owbers can now buy the entire premier league if they wanted too.

At least Man utd, Arsenal etc try to work on some sort of budget, but neither can compete if City wants their players.

Sadly City aren't the only one! PSG and Malaga and some Russian club how joined the Man City crew in having new owners who plan to buy a team that will field the best players in the world.

I don't feel that City are good enough to go far in Europe as I believe that the European style of play and system will defeat City and most of other Premier League clubs which aren't interested in working together or working hard enough to have an idea of how to incorporate home-grown talent and develop them into a way that the club/assoctiation would like to play in a team of mostly English players and a few foreign stars. In Germany and Spain this is the case and that's why they have both done so well. Even Real Madrid who are a big spending team have a massive emphasis on a youth system. That League also is dominated by two teams and may not always be as exciting as the Premier League but the quality is better and the whole system is better. Germany in my opinion will become the best league in the world because it's got the energy and excitement of English football and the system and ideas of Spannish football. The German's revealed that 10 years ago, the national team and club teams were not doing well because of the lack of home-grown players and an association that was all over the place. Since then, they changed to a system where all the clubs work together and follow a very good system of having talented players and fielding a team that plays good football with mostly home-grown players and some stars - creating a league full of passion.

Unfortunatly for the English game, I feel we've now gone so far that we can't go back and change. Not with Man City, Sky, The FA and the Premier League around. In England at the moment, no one is complaining because the league is in good shape but there will be complaints once the National Team hasn't reached the finals of a major tournemant in the next 20 or so years. Germany and Spain changed and the latter has won the last two tournemants and the former has finished in the last 4 for the past 3 tournemants. In Scotland, the same problem with England has happened except we can no longer have a Man City, the talent had disapeared except for promising talent that is never given a chance and we don't have any decent coverage from Sky. But because the game up here is in a dire state and that we've got potential, I feel that we now have to have drastic change like the Dutch, Germans and Spannish. Thankfully, we're now doing something with a man from the Dutch youth-system in charge. Further south where everything is going all honky-dory, it's going to take a while before change happens unfortuantly.

Unfortunately tis true that teams now buy success rather than nurturing success as it used to be...look at the great Liverpool team that dominated English and European football in the 70s and 80s..all British players with the odd foreign import like Grobelaar and Molby..even the Man Utd team of the 1990s was mostly made up of British players...now you would be hard pressed to find 11 British players that play in the teams in the top 6.