Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

The Biggest Manchester Derby In History.....tonight!

Sir Alex says it's the most important derby in his time and the BBC have regarded it as the "Most Important Premier League Match in History". Manchester United have won 12 League Titles, 5 FA Cup Finals, 2 Champions League Finals and 18 other trophies since Manchester United signed Sir Alex Ferguson from Aberdeen in 1986 where he was the last manager to win the Scottish League outisde of the Old Firm aswell as 2 European Trophies. And during that time, Manchester City have won 1 trophy that was the 2011 FA Cup - the first trophy of an era which sees Manchester City field a squad of World Class players due to wealthy backing.

Not long ago, Manchester United were 8 points clear and Man City were in turmoil but now Manchester United only have a 3 point lead and if Manchester City were to win the match they would go top on GD and would just need to win their "tough" remaining games against relegation candidates QPR and Top 4 Challengers Newcastle United. But if Man U were to avoid defeat then a 20th League title would look likely. Roberto Mancini has played for Italy and won honours such as Serie A with Inter - he's won 10 trophies overall compared to Sir Alex's 40+! Man City have got a stronger squad than City and have an invicible home record but Sir Alex has never lost a Premier League Match on a Monday Night and himself and his team have been there and done it in terms of Championships whereas City haven't and it's an entirely new situation and perhaps the individual ego aspect of the team and the pressure could get to them.

Whoever wins this game is likely to win the league but whether it's the most important Premier League Match in History is debatable. Sir Alex's and Manchester United's record will take some beating and I do believe that the competitive nature of the Premier League will be greater than ever next season with the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal competing for the title alongside the Manchester Clubs.

You Can Watch this "Crucial Game" on Sky Sports with an 8pm KO and Match of the Day on BBC have highlights.

These important and highly anticipated games can end being flat but on other occasions they could end up being all-time classics. And the first PL Manchester Derby of the season was a classic and is in the running for the "Greatest Premier League Match of All Time".

Can This Match rival Premier League classics in seasons gone by?

Come on City beat United about time United went a whole season without a trophy they dominate too much

Certainly a MASSIVE game! I'm hoping for a heartstopping match being a neutral, but I predict that whatever the outcome, it won't be the decider of where the title ends up.

Don't have much time- but what a crucial match. This could shape English football for a long time and it could make or break United's dominance. Come on City!

Come on City beat United about time United went a whole season without a trophy they dominate too much

United have already won the Community Shield so they've won a trophy. It can be boring if a team won everything but really there's nothing wrong with having the will and desire to win - that is what the league is about and you have to admire how Manchester United have continued to have that hunger to win and have been so succesful. No matter how succesful or unsuccesful a team is, all 20 teams are in it to win it each season and Man U are the team that have won them through the determination to win it.

But I'd like to see Liverpool and Arsenal up there and being strong enough to win stuff but I have to say I'd hate it if Manchester City win it as I just don't like the aurra around that Club and how they can just by a team of individuals and think they can match the work that Man U have built up over 20 years in the space of 3 seasons. If Citeh were to win the title Man U would have to prove why they've won 19 titles and think they're the best in Manchester as they simply haven't be good enough this season - change is needed for next season.

And the first PL Manchester Derby of the season was a classic and is in the running for the "Greatest Premier League Match of All Time".

Can This Match rival Premier League classics in seasons gone by?

Hardly call a 6-1 drubbing a classic nor the greatest PL game of all time who thinks up this drivel?

The balance of power is definitely shifting as the Man Utd team and management staff are on their last Hooraaah..this will be their last year at the top. I think City have just a bit too much to do...but expect if not this season there will be many titles to come for them.

Hardly call a 6-1 drubbing a classic nor the greatest PL game of all time who thinks up this drivel?

The balance of power is definitely shifting as the Man Utd team and management staff are on their last Hooraaah..this will be their last year at the top. I think City have just a bit too much to do...but expect if not this season there will be many titles to come for them.

"Drivel" is the right word - ever since Sky came on the scene anyone would think top-flight football didn't exist in the UK before 1991.

I suspect the match in Feb. 2008 was more emotionally charged.

Draw, hope United win the Title, don't like money can win you trophies philosophy.

Thats right Man Utd never spend big on players do they?...all locals boys done good.

Football is based almost fully on money. I don't care. For all the elitists saying it ruins the game, just accept that football is evolving. Anything to see Fergie and the arrogant, plastic United fans (most of them) sob and moan is good enough for me.

Half-time and it's 1-0 :D Get in City!

so far so good 13 minutes left still 1-0 city, things are starting to heat up now on and off the pitch were in for a cracking final 10 minutes

so far so good 13 minutes left still 1-0 city, things are starting to heat up now on and off the pitch were in for a cracking final 10 minutes

Cracking? St Mirren vs Hibs was better than this!!! Man U need to have a look at themselves in the mirror as they really aren't Glorious United - things need to get sorted out there and they don't deserve to win the title. Unfortuantly they're going to hand the title to City instead of a proper club like Arsenal or Liverpool or even Tottenham.

City beat United 1-0, from the commentary it sounded as if they deserved the win

Oh dear IS for one so young.

Cracking? St Mirren vs Hibs was better than this!!! Man U need to have a look at themselves in the mirror as they really aren't Glorious United - things need to get sorted out there and they don't deserve to win the title. Unfortuantly they're going to hand the title to City instead of a proper club like Arsenal or Liverpool or even Tottenham.

I must admit I find this anti united attitude rather amusing. They have been the greatest English club for twenty years, and only the great Liverpool team compares. And I doubt anyone could name a greater manager than Fergie.

I am by no means a Man U fan but I hope they go on to win the title. Simply if City win it then its the end of proper football it just means the one with the most money wins. Football is suppose to be the peoples game (lower down it still is), a City title steals the game from those who really own it and gives it to some Arab prince as his train set replacement.

Give me non league any day!

Night night Fergie, night night. biggrin.png

I take it you like Fergie then!blum.gif

Man City showed tonight that they are a superior "TEAM" and that Man Utd have lost their way and they no longer have the skill, temperment or composure to win titles. Perhaps Fergie is too old for the job now. You can tell that whatever their doing on the training ground isn't working which is strange as he's always worked on training players to play the style that he wants his team to play. But I think he's been around for long enough and gone flat, similar to King Kenny at Liverpool who was once a great manager but he's just too old for it - or just no longer good at training.

So Manchester United have got what they've deserved but I'm fuming that an artificial club like Man City are going to win it. I just think you can't just walk into a football club and buy success. I do fear for the game and particulary the English Game with the domination of Money in football but I'm glad that in the continent there tends to be more of a balance between producing and buying players.

I think we'll just have to live with this but I do fear that City will become the new dominating team like Liverpool of the 80s and Man U of the past 20 years except Citeh are far more artificial than those true champions.

Gutted about result tonight but I cannot help thinking we will win the league, Newcastle will get a draw next week against city, just a feeling I have been here before, and normally would be gutted tonight but have a sneaky felling, utd will be back!!!

Oh dear IS for one so young.

I must admit I find this anti united attitude rather amusing. They have been the greatest English club for twenty years, and only the great Liverpool team compares. And I doubt anyone could name a greater manager than Fergie.

I'm a United fan because I think the club is great and they are the team that I like them to do well in the title race as they've got a manager and a player who's Scottish. I more neutral and a fan/critic of the EPL but I always like United to win it. But the fact is that Man U seem to have gone stale and lost their temperment and deserve to not win the title.

I am by no means a Man U fan but I hope they go on to win the title. Simply if City win it then its the end of proper football it just means the one with the most money wins. Football is suppose to be the peoples game (lower down it still is), a City title steals the game from those who really own it and gives it to some Arab prince as his train set replacement.

Give me non league any day!

Exactly! Nothing wrong about money in football but I do feel that the Premier League is turning into something more artificial with the amount of Money in it but City have taken this to new levels - the rest of the Premier League clubs are more traditional and proper in my opinion despite the influence of money in the league. It seems like English football is losing it's integrity. I also fear that English clubs are putting their own talent aside to go and buy players and this may hit the national team. I'm just thankful that Germany, Spain and co. have emphasis on young talent aswell as having an exciting league with great players across the world and these leagues seem to have teams that work together more than the self-interested EPL and SPL clubs. I think the Europa League and International Tournemants emphasise this. Still, English football will be great aslong as home grown players are present and clubs like Everton, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle and co. keep their footballing integrity.

English football lost its integrity in 1992 when the Premier League was formed. As much as I criticise Liverpool, at least the majority of their achievements came at a time where you couldn't just buy success as the game wasn't so corrupted with money.

Still, English football will be great aslong as home grown players are present and clubs like Everton, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle and co. keep their footballing integrity.

I'm proud to support a properly run club that lives within its means! If a sugar daddy took us over I would be very disappointed.

Gutted about result tonight but I cannot help thinking we will win the league, Newcastle will get a draw next week against city, just a feeling I have been here before, and normally would be gutted tonight but have a sneaky felling, utd will be back!!!

I hope Newcastle and QPR will be tough teams for Man City. I'll be very unhappy if City go on to win the league. I just hope that this means that United will be inspired to improve next season. But what I've seen recently is that United have missed the solidity of Vidic and Fletcher.

Ferdinand is past it and sadly Scholes and Giggs who are true greats are starting to look past it too. Evra is generally poor; Nani, Valencia and Young are a hit or miss; Wellbeck, Jones and co. are learning; Carrick and Park are hopeless and over-rated. In the summer, Manchester United need to get a player with more energy and who can control the midfield and dictate the pace. Sneijder or Eriksen springs to mind or a player like Hazard would be good. Defensively there needs to be more solidity and I would love it if Philipp Lahm came to United.

I think City winning the league isn't just a bad thing for United but more so for the League that we all admire so much with all the great clubs in it. Despite United's success, I feel that they do fit into the mould of original clubs in the league whereas Chelsea and especially City aren't but I'd agree that Chelsea are far more original than City.

English football lost its integrity in 1992 when the Premier League was formed. As much as I criticise Liverpool, at least the majority of their achievements came at a time where you couldn't just buy success as the game wasn't so corrupted with money.

I'm proud to support a properly run club that lives within its means! If a sugar daddy took us over I would be very disappointed.

Spot On! good.gif

For a potential title decider, I thought it was a dreadful game, and in many respects both sides cancelled each other out, I don't think Man City deserved the win, but Man Utd didn't deserve a draw so perhaps a narrow Man City win was fair.

IMO Man Utd have blown it, however I have a feeling that Man City may blow it on Sunday when they are playing at Newcastle in the early game before Man Utd play us later in the day. Luckily I am going to the Man Utd game on Sunday, and had hoped that Man Utd would have already won the title so we could sneak a draw.

IMO If Man City bt Newcastle the title is all but over, but I am not sure they will.