Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Couldn't This April Ended Like This?

Weather-history

Posted

April 1993 ended on a very sunny and warm note. 25.8C was recorded at Creebridge in Dumfries and Galloway on the 29th ( a record maximum for that date) and 25.0C at Nantwich in Cheshire and at Glentrees in the Borders. The

Typically just as we headed into the Bank Holiday Weekend, it turned cooler!

I remember this little spell well, I remember seeing a large cumulus develop over the Pennines producing a shower. I think it was near Buxton. It was warm and sunny unlike now!

Rrea00219930430.gif

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

We can all but dream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Tyneside we missed out on the warm sunshine during the last week of April 1993- the persistent easterly winds brought sea fog and maxima of around 10-12C. It did become brighter and warmer after the 28th though, and on the 1st May (when the wind finally changed direction) it was sunny and 18C.

Posted

Interesting to note how mild April 1993 turned out to be. I don't recall the month very well in terms of temps but I do remember it being a very wet month and therefore a dull one. Suspect rainfall figures for this month end up on a par with April 1993.

1993 on the whole was a dissapointing year for lengthy dry settled sunny weather. Atlantic airstream often ruled the roost during the first half of the year bringing very mild conditions at times in Jan and April. The second half of the year delivered colder weather than normal especially in the autumn with low pressure taking a more southerly path than usual and winds often from the north. Nov brought the cold snowy easterly and Dec saw the return of very unsettled weather with lots of rain and a north-south split in terms of temps, the north being quite cold and the south very mild.

Posted

Interesting to note how mild April 1993 turned out to be. I don't recall the month very well in terms of temps but I do remember it being a very wet month and therefore a dull one. Suspect rainfall figures for this month end up on a par with April 1993.

I remember two consecutive wet Sundays that month.