Sign in to follow this  
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Tomatoes already? Is your greenhouse heated? No chance anything like would survive in my greenhouse yet - the winter greens chug along slowly but that's about it!

Yes its bubble wrapped out and heated

I have decided in addition to my Blueberry plant to grow an indoors watermelon plant.

Now i know the first month or so of germination upto flowering is fine on my kitchen windowsill.

In order to pollinate them would it be a good idea to put it outside for a week so that bee's can pollinate it and then bring it in??

My second question is whether due to the potential size of the plant (upto 6 foot) i can just chop off everything above the melon without harming it?

Posted Image

We have one of those heaters in greenhouse you light and uses oil (can't remember what it's called!) Works rather well.

Mine runs of Gas but I know what you mean

I have decided in addition to my Blueberry plant to grow an indoors watermelon plant.

Now i know the first month or so of germination upto flowering is fine on my kitchen windowsill.

In order to pollinate them would it be a good idea to put it outside for a week so that bee's can pollinate it and then bring it in??

My second question is whether due to the potential size of the plant (upto 6 foot) i can just chop off everything above the melon without harming it?

Oh, and you can hand pollinate them pretty easily with a woman's make-up powder brush

Posted Image

You really need as much leaf as possible until the melon is fully grown, then you can remove a great deal of foliage in order that it can ripen in the sun properly :-)

Also, you'll need to support the melons with a bag or something to stop then from breaking the plant under their weight.

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Just a quick reminder folks Gardeners world returns in 3 weeks time (Friday 8th March) on BBC 2 and BBC HD

An update on the seeds and everything is coming along wonderfully the longer days and sunshine did wonders in the greenhouse today with it getting up-to 28c

Never grew normal onions before but as they came free in the grow it Magazine I gave them ago and there coming through nicely Bedfordshire champion they are if anyone have previous experience of them

Finally decent weather on a weekend so tomorrow its time to dig over the garden and plant on some garlic I'd started in small pots.

Peppers/chillies all sprouting nicely in the office at the moment. My over wintering peppers have now gained a few small leaves so looks like they'll just about survive the winter.

Nice sunny days like today are really helping everything - the greenhouse is now getting over two hours of direct sunlight - a real boost!

Finally decent weather on a weekend so tomorrow its time to dig over the garden and plant on some garlic I'd started in small pots.

Peppers/chillies all sprouting nicely in the office at the moment. My over wintering peppers have now gained a few small leaves so looks like they'll just about survive the winter.

Nice sunny days like today are really helping everything - the greenhouse is now getting over two hours of direct sunlight - a real boost!

Yes this sun is a welcome sight my greenhouse got to 31.3c today and that's with 1 window open and had 5 hours of sun on it everything is coming along excellent now.

I just hope we get a summer this year and not the pathetic attempt of 2012

I have been making poly tunnels today....just want to get the bees and butterflies back in the garden....not long till spring :)

I have been making poly tunnels today....just want to get the bees and butterflies back in the garden....not long till spring Posted Image

How did you get on?

I'm trying some perfect for pollinators flowers this year in an attempt to get the bees back in last year was terrible for them

To get the Butterflies back I have a Buddleja Bicolour bush near the Garden this is one of the prettiest Buddleja's I have seen it has a lovely scent to it as well its very attractive to butterflies and bees

Posted Image

Edited by Gavin.

Okay so i'm growing 2 foods (blueberries and watermelons) and i'm also going to grow 2 plants which will flower nicely, all of them indoors.

Whilst it will probably be on the chilly side next to the window next week does look pretty sunny so i'm going to plant them all then.

The ample lavender I have seems to keep my small yard full of bees. Even last summer we had a fair few around with some really massive ones at times. Think there must be a hive not too far away.

A must have if you want to attract beneficial insects into the garden is Calendula - every Hover Fly from miles around will take up camp in your garden, their favourite food is Greenfly larvae.

You want certain insects for sure - to eat the insects that cause plant damage.

I'm going to use nematodes to combat the slugs after 'the year of the slug' ruined lots of my plants last summer.

Will certainly find some Calendula then as I get greenfly problems - although more often that is the indoor plants suffering. Could do with some ladybirds from somewhere...

I used marigolds last year for similar reasons.

As Garlic needs at least a month temperatures of sub 10c to clove up rather than form one bulb us down south need to plant ours much earlier. My granddad always said you should plant your garlic on Xmas Day, mind you he had 8 kids so he probably wanted to get out of the house!

You want certain insects for sure - to eat the insects that cause plant damage.

I'm going to use nematodes to combat the slugs after 'the year of the slug' ruined lots of my plants last summer.

Will certainly find some Calendula then as I get greenfly problems - although more often that is the indoor plants suffering. Could do with some ladybirds from somewhere...

I used marigolds last year for similar reasons.

Tagetes are also good. I also grow a plant called the shoo-fly plant which is supposed to deter fly. It's a fantastic plant in its own right and easy to grow from seed. Don't tell too many people that as I sell lots, don't want everyone to know they are easy!

Why would you want insects?

You need insects to pollinate flowers so you can get more of them....if there were no insects....there would be no chocolate http://forum.nwstatic.co.uk//public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.png. if your growing vegetables you need pollen to produce the crop, I know it doesn't look like it but you do.....

Bees and wasps and butterflies are perfect, they eat parasites and make sure your crops thrive..just don't get on the wrong side of them...;)

How did you get on?

I'm trying some perfect for pollinators flowers this year in an attempt to get the bees back in last year was terrible for them

To get the Butterflies back I have a Buddleja Bicolour bush near the Garden this is one of the prettiest Buddleja's I have seen it has a lovely scent to it as well its very attractive to butterflies and bees

Posted Image

its coming on quite well thanks Gavin :). We have the main frame just have to put the plastic and door on next :)

its coming on quite well thanks Gavin Posted Image. We have the main frame just have to put the plastic and door on next Posted Image

Polly-tunnels are great IMO at least they keep the summer rain out and you can actually get some crops. I got one at the end of last year and the strawberry's have been under it all winter, I plan to put cabbages and Caulis under as well this year

Interesting.

As i'm growing mine inside i'll have to wait and then pollinate them myself.

I've just got a polytunnel, and have planted a small peach tree in it (Bonanza). I plan to mostly grow veg, but the peach was a bit of indulgence. Has anyone else grown a fruit tree in their PT?

I've just got a polytunnel, and have planted a small peach tree in it (Bonanza). I plan to mostly grow veg, but the peach was a bit of indulgence. Has anyone else grown a fruit tree in their PT?

Not in a poly-tunnel but I have in a greenhouse - an Apricot. The flowers are just starting to open, as it's a lone tree in a closed environment and it flowers early, it has to have a helping hand with pollination. I use a Pheasant tail feather but any feather or artists paint brush will do, it's literally a case of lightly brushing every flower in turn, transferring pollen from one to the other as you go. Depending on mood, it can either be a peaceful or tedious thing....I mitigate the boredom by remembering the enormous crop from the year before, there's nothing tastier than home grown Apricots and Peaches. Manna from heaven, just have to watch the dogs/squirrels don't pinch them all before I get to them.