Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Would like to grow few veg, Have greenhouse but little knowledge on veg growing,,,,,,Onions, Peas , beans and toms in greenhouse,,,,,,,When should start sowing? Also would like try Sweet potatoes and Garlic, but again little knowledge

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a glorious, Spring like day today, spent most of it sowing seeds and marking out a new flower bed. The new bed will be eleven and a half foot wide by just over sixty foot long, fronted by a

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine so if I slip into rant mode, I apologise now.   Titchmarsh is right, gardeners are universally regarded as too thick to do anything else, the public perception is a

The Pergola is up, the digging is all done, the gravel is spread and the massive tree has had a trim to expose the trunk and let some light through ; all that's left to do is plant it up and pray for

Posted Images

Posted

Peas don't like transplanting, best sown in a wide row outside.

Runner beans like to be started in the warm but cannot go out until frost risk is passed which will be late May for you.

They grow fast so sowing the last week of April would be plenty soon enough.

Onions are tricky from seed and it would be best to buy sets ASAP.

They tend to sell out quite soon. Can be put in outside when it's dry enough from late March.

In a cold greenhouse be wary of putting tomatoe plants in too soon.

They are checked by temperatures much below 10C so later plantings can often overtake ones planted too soon.

It's probably most reliable to plant in growbags usually three in each.

They are fairly easy to grow from seed.

Start on the window ledge about mid-April for planting in GH towards the end of May

• Like 1
    Posted

Peas don't like transplanting, best sown in a wide row outside.

Runner beans like to be started in the warm but cannot go out until frost risk is passed which will be late May for you.

They grow fast so sowing the last week of April would be plenty soon enough.

Onions are tricky from seed and it would be best to buy sets ASAP.

They tend to sell out quite soon. Can be put in outside when it's dry enough from late March.

In a cold greenhouse be wary of putting tomatoe plants in too soon.

They are checked by temperatures much below 10C so later plantings can often overtake ones planted too soon.

It's probably most reliable to plant in growbags usually three in each.

They are fairly easy to grow from seed.

Start on the window ledge about mid-April for planting in GH towards the end of May

Thanks will get my onions this weekend
    Posted

Would like to grow few veg, Have greenhouse but little knowledge on veg growing,,,,,,Onions, Peas , beans and toms in greenhouse,,,,,,,When should start sowing? Also would like try Sweet potatoes and Garlic, but again little knowledge

Hello cerneman,

I go with toms, yellow courgettes (you'll get loads) in growbags + chilies and sweet peppers in the greenhouse. I grow peas, dwarf french beans, carrots (purple are great), onions and spuds outside.

As we're southerners, we can probably start our toms a few weeks earlier than 4wd. Keep feeding and pinching the sideshoots once they get going. A lack of pinching and you'll get a mass of unmanageable growth.

Things like broadbeans are good, but suffer from blackfly in my experience.

It might sound daft, but grow things that store well and that you'll use to start with. It's great to be able to bypass the supermarket onions and potatoes throughout the Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

February Sow under cloche,cold frame or in unheated greenhouse---

Brussels-Cabbage-carrots-cauliflowers-celery-cuecumbers-leeks-lettuce-melons-0nion seed-peppers- tomatoes...(Depending On Weather Conditions Or Wait untill March.)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Onions I would recommend you buy them from your local Nurseries and not from a high street store

Peas and beans grow quickly so May would be soon enough don't sow any seeds outdoors until the frost risk is fully over

Toms if you could sow them indoors do it anytime now in a warm room (south facing ideally they only need a window sill or spare table) and place them in the greenhouse when the risk of frost's is over. I prefer to place mine in pots rather than grow-bags when there ready for that. Never sow them in a greenhouse if its either unheated or your haven't got a heated propagator

Potatoes again buy them from your local Nurseries they should be out anytime now

Edited by Gavin.
    Posted

Well I took the break in the weather today and got the greenhouse bolted together and got the glass In have to say there is some strength to the sun now it was lovely outside today you can tell spring is just round the corner

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Anybody any experience of pound world gardening?

They have a Blueberry plant and compost but i wonder if they will be of low quality.

Posted

They have a Blueberry plant and compost but i wonder if they will be of low quality.

Like the saying goes you get what you pay for, I wouldn't expect it to be of high quality tbh for £1, the only Gardening stuff I've had from the pound shops is some of the ties and clips.

Your local Garden centre/s will have Blueberry plants in now though you need to be quick as they tend to go off sale around March

Edited by Gavin.
    Posted

Like the saying goes you get what you pay for, I wouldn't expect it to be of high quality tbh for £1, the only Gardening stuff I've had from the pound shops is some of the ties and clips.

Your local Garden centre/s will have Blueberry plants in now though you need to be quick as they tend to go off sale around March

I'll go for a visit then.

The good news is that they do have decent size pots though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Winter veg still plodding along here... I've not exactly been 'harvesting all winter' like the pack said but no surprise in the total absence of sunlight. Still as soon as the spring sunshine makes it to the ground of my garden again (by looks of it maybe only a few weeks now) I'm sure it'll rapidly move long with plenty of fresh salad leaves & far too many cabbages for early to mid spring (often when there is little else to eat from the garden).

Peppers indoors that I overwintered are still alive albeit looking pretty sad. Used a grow lamp to get them through the last month and that did well in halting their decline. With sun now finally coming into the house again I think I can soon put them next to the window to kick off their spring growth.

Started a heap more chillies & peppers in the office (where we get tons of sun) so should be well ahead this year - even if we have another sunless summer (hope not).

Anyone ever tried these with grow bags? I've only grown in large pots so far so was thinking of trying grow bags for my tomatoes this year.

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/tomato-growpots-pid4419.html

Posted
  • Location: Somerset midway between Bath&Wells. Mendips 200m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Anyone ever tried these with grow bags? I've only grown in large pots so far so was thinking of trying grow bags for my tomatoes this year.

http://www.marshalls...ts-pid4419.html

I haven't used them but at £15 each, they seem rather expensive for what they are. Unless you want the convenience of being able to fill up the reservoir and walk away for a few days, you can get just the same result in a much cheaper way. Take a normal plastic plant pot of the required size, cut out the bottom and insert into the grow bag, get a length of pipe (min diameter to take your watering can spout), cut it so that it stands proud of the plant pot rim by an inch or so, insert into the pot to run down the side, then fill pot with compost and plant as usual. The pipe isn't absolutely necessary but it does help get the water to the roots in the bottom. The advantage of independent watering in this way instead of the reservoir is that you can adjust the water to accommodate the weather; reservoirs work by capillary action which is brilliant for constant, even watering but does leave plants susceptible to fungal attacks if the weather is cool, Blight is a fungal infection and Tomatoes are particularly vulnerable to attack.

Posted

Winter veg still plodding along here... I've not exactly been 'harvesting all winter' like the pack said but no surprise in the total absence of sunlight. Still as soon as the spring sunshine makes it to the ground of my garden again (by looks of it maybe only a few weeks now) I'm sure it'll rapidly move long with plenty of fresh salad leaves & far too many cabbages for early to mid spring (often when there is little else to eat from the garden).

Peppers indoors that I overwintered are still alive albeit looking pretty sad. Used a grow lamp to get them through the last month and that did well in halting their decline. With sun now finally coming into the house again I think I can soon put them next to the window to kick off their spring growth.

Started a heap more chillies & peppers in the office (where we get tons of sun) so should be well ahead this year - even if we have another sunless summer (hope not).

I've tried them, stick to pots there and expensive fiddle £15 for 3 is a rip off IMO I have always found pots to be the best and cheapest growing solution

Posted

Wouldn't bother, I've always used and re-used 0.99p black builder's buckets. You will have to make some holes in the bottom first, I either use a rasp to make 8 side notches in the bottom or, if you want the patent quick method use an angle grinder, smelly but it works!

I've been re-using mine for 5 years now and they are still good after a scrub out with disinfectant. Don't be tempted to re-use the compost - it will be totally spent after a season Always get fresh good quality stuff and add a little bonemeal for toms and peppers. Place 1" of gravel in the bottom before filling. That way you can stand 3 buckets on a growbag tray 1/2 filled with gravel as well. Water down through the buckets when the gravel starts to dry out. Roots from the plant will grow down through the gravel and draw up moisture from this reservoir - it also helps with a bit of humidity if we ever get any hot dry sunny days.

It's also a good idea to use new support canes as old ones can carry infection from year to year.

Old compost is OK to use on the garden as soil conditioner after rubbing it through a coarse seive and reclaiming the gravel, this can then be washed and recycled the following year.

Posted

*waves hello* nice to see there's a gardening thread.

I've had loads of plants over the years from 99p store and poundland and providing you check it's not dead by scraping off a little bark with your finger nail to make sure it's green they're fine.

A blueberry from there for example, won't be as mature as from a garden centre so you'll have to wait an extra couple of years to get a good crop but it's cheaper so it depends how how much £ you want to spend. I have tophat and bluecrop from there both doing fine in their pots.

You will need ericaceous soil for them and no you won't find this in them you'll need a garden centre for that.

Re their soil/growbags I've tried it and it's fine for flowers but I wouldn't put my fruit and veg in it. The best compost you can have is home made stuff but other than that the quality seems to vary each year where ever you get it from.

One of my best purchases was from the 99p store; a thorn less blackberry. Wonderful plant, full of fruit grew quickly and strong.

Tomatoes I grow in Morrisons flower buckets. They sell of 10 for £1 and are so useful. A few holes in the bottom for drainage is all thats needed. My outdoor toms, cucumbers, beans, peas and peppers romp away in them.

I plant the toms in them on top of 2" of compost when they're around 6" tall (if it looks frosty I throw fleece over the whole lot) and as it grows just keep adding compost. Lots of strong roots and good sturdy plants.

When pinching out the side shoots or armpits let them grow to get 2 sets of leaves before pinching off then plant them. Free extra toms same as the parent plant.

I'll stop waffling now Posted Image

Posted

Thanks everyone who gave me advice on veg seeds and sowing times,,,,,,,,,,,,,Made notes and will get going

Photo's taken today of first daffs to flower this season in my garden

post-18298-0-74184700-1360007001_thumb.j

post-18298-0-39101000-1360007159_thumb.j

Posted

Thanks everyone who gave me advice on veg seeds and sowing times,,,,,,,,,,,,,Made notes and will get going

Photo's taken today of first daffs to flower this season in my garden

Ours are no where near that size yet there making decent progress but the last cold spell slowed them down I guess your milder southern climate brings them on quicker?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thanks for the tips re them growpots. I think I'll steer clear of the reservoir because if its cool weather that will introduce fungal infections then no doubt I'll end up with a problem knowing our recent summers!

My biggest issue is always availability of space - especially greenhouse space. Going to be a lot more rigid with the toms - cutting out the suckers and topping them when they get sufficiently high. But even still its going to be hard to pack in all I'd like. The greenhouse will be exclusively for peppers, chillies & tomatoes but with big round pots its hard to fit them close together... So am thinking of shoving a raised bed or two in there for the peppers and growing them fairly close together so they can support each other without the need to build frames and such. Seems a more efficient use of space plus I can plant marigolds around the bigger plants to ward off pests.

Posted

I'm in two minds about direct growing either in the ground or beds in a greenhouse. Large pots or buckets are easy to handle and if a plant does get blighted it can be tossed whreas a bed needs to be dug out and replaced each year to provide fresh growing medium and limit the carry over of infection.

On the other hand, direct planting lowers the rooball by about a foot giving more headroom for the productive part of the plant. Usefull in a small greenhouse with limited headroom

Handled properly, both systems work. On balance I prefer buckets on a slab surface in my small grenhouse but that's just me. At the end of the day it's the result that matters and we all need a good year with some decent daylight rather than the drech damp we had last year. It was really devastating.

Posted

Tell me about it - I've been growing a few things on & off for years but last year I decided to really get into it. Put loads of effort into it and then we got that dire summer... heartbreaking it was! Still at least it can only get better next time... surely..

As for the raised beds.. well I'm definitely going for portable ones as I have only limited soil space so most growing is done in pots/beds anyway. In effect they're just giant pots which I think would save on wasted space I get with big round pots. With peppers they don't grow that tall anyway so headroom isn't an issue. If anything having them taller is a good thing as they can catch that bit more sunlight higher up (and I need every ray I can get here!).

Posted

Ours are no where near that size yet there making decent progress but the last cold spell slowed them down I guess your milder southern climate brings them on quicker?

The group shown in photo only planted last Autumn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My other daffs that planted couple years ago nowhere near there size,,,,

Spotted this Iris today,

post-18298-0-68077900-1360014410_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

A tip for Tomato growers.....when potting them up into their final planting position, plant them lower than usual, burying the first (cotyledon) leaves and about half an inch to an inch of the stem beneath the surface of the compost. This encourages greater root growth and you'll end up with stronger plants - it's contra to all the usual planting advice but it really works with Toms.

Posted

Will def try that this year then - have noticed tomatoes seem to start producing roots in their lower stems sometimes so makes sense.

Posted

The seeds are doing well in the new greenhouse now

Carrots are through

Lettuce is through

Beetroot is through

Tomatoes 1 moneymaker has made an appearance today the rest won't be far behind now

Sweet peas are coming through slowly

Spring onions, onions and leeks at yet to appear

Edited by Gavin.
    Posted

Tomatoes already? Is your greenhouse heated? No chance anything like would survive in my greenhouse yet - the winter greens chug along slowly but that's about it!