• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a glorious, Spring like day today, spent most of it sowing seeds and marking out a new flower bed. The new bed will be eleven and a half foot wide by just over sixty foot long, fronted by a

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine so if I slip into rant mode, I apologise now.   Titchmarsh is right, gardeners are universally regarded as too thick to do anything else, the public perception is a

The Pergola is up, the digging is all done, the gravel is spread and the massive tree has had a trim to expose the trunk and let some light through ; all that's left to do is plant it up and pray for

Posted Images

On 14/09/2019 at 20:38, Summer Sun said:

Tomatoes finally ripening up quite well now at least 3-weeks behind last summer but that's to be expected with more cloud and less prolonged heat this summer

Out of interest do you feed them?  The usual tomato fertiliser?  Darlington isn’t beyond the ice wall of game of thrones is it?

1 hour ago, Snipper said:

Out of interest do you feed them?  The usual tomato fertiliser?  Darlington isn’t beyond the ice wall of game of thrones is it?

They get fed 2 or 3 times a week

We've really struggled with a lot of dull days this summer whereas last summer we had prolonged hot and sunny weather

23 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

They get fed 2 or 3 times a week

We've really struggled with a lot of dull days this summer whereas last summer we had prolonged hot and sunny weather

With global warming you should soon catch up. If the tomatoes have set I would not feed more than  once a week. Unless your soil was absolute rubbish. Lots of homemade compost as a base would help a lot. But home compost is not necessarily easy to make well unless you spend quite a lot of time doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

With global warming you should soon catch up. If the tomatoes have set I would not feed more than  once a week. Unless your soil was absolute rubbish. Lots of homemade compost as a base would help a lot. But home compost is not necessarily easy to make well unless you spend quite a lot of time doing it. 

They're coming along quite nicely now the sunshine over the past week or so has really helped

I always use levington growbags (the red one) and tip that into a deeper tray, so they have lots of room to grow

12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

They're coming along quite nicely now the sunshine over the past week or so has really helped

I always use levington growbags (the red one) and tip that into a deeper tray, so they have lots of room to grow

Watering can be a problem with grow bags or small containers.

Although tomatoes are easy to grow in my soil, with self seeded ones growing, the problem I find is trying to get them going too soon in the year.  If you are anything like me you are itching to have a decent tasty tomato. In the greenhouse I use those polystyrene boxes that salmon are delivered to supermarkets in. A good bulk of soil so they don’t dry out too quickly . Also cheap as you usually can get them for nothing.

Hope you get some nice tasty ones to enjoy.  I have made plenty of tomato soup and sauces and been eating the cherry tomatoes as I wander round garden. Plenty for family and friends so my conditions are ok.  Sorry didn’t help you a lot. You being about 200 miles north of me obviously makes a lot of difference.

• Like 1

Watering can be a problem with grow bags or small containers.

Although tomatoes are easy to grow in my soil, with self seeded ones growing, the problem I find is trying to get them going too soon in the year.  If you are anything like me you are itching to have a decent tasty tomato. In the greenhouse I use those polystyrene boxes that salmon are delivered to supermarkets in. A good bulk of soil so they don’t dry out too quickly . Also cheap as you usually can get them for nothing.

Hope you get some nice tasty ones to enjoy.  I have made plenty of tomato soup and sauces and been eating the cherry tomatoes as I wander round garden. Plenty for family and friends so my conditions are ok.  Sorry didn’t help you a lot. You being about 200 miles north of me obviously makes a lot of difference.

I generally start mine off on a window sill around mid-March then move them into the greenhouse into April once they've got a good bit of growth 

The greenhouse is south facing so during the longest day's of the year, it's bathed in sunshine for hours on end just been one of those years, which crop up every now and then, but that's the joys of growing your own some years are good some years are not so good

16 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I generally start mine off on a window sill around mid-March then move them into the greenhouse into April once they've got a good bit of growth 

The greenhouse is south facing so during the longest day's of the year, it's bathed in sunshine for hours on end just been one of those years, which crop up every now and then, but that's the joys of growing your own some years are good some years are not so good

Thing I find funny is the self seeded plants in the garden, that tend to sprout up in June, soon catch up as stronger healthier plants than the ones I cherished in the greenhouse. Makes me wonder why I make the effort. Having said that I get to the early part of the year and I am itching to grow stuff. Seeds, cuttings and repotting. The annual challenge. 

• Like 1

Thing I find funny is the self seeded plants in the garden, that tend to sprout up in June, soon catch up as stronger healthier plants than the ones I cherished in the greenhouse. Makes me wonder why I make the effort. Having said that I get to the early part of the year and I am itching to grow stuff. Seeds, cuttings and repotting. The annual challenge. 

I used to set loads away in the greenhouse, but one year I had some seeds left over so for a bit of daft, I put them direct outside and found they were much better than those set away under glass they weren't even affected by a late frost whereas those from glass got hit even though they had been out for a while

Toms are the only thing I do under glass now everything else just goes outside when the soil has warmed up

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I'd make this post as a sort of warning:

A month or so back, I took it upon myself to weed a few hundred delphiniums... Long story short, I managed to poison myself with aconite, and the effects were not at all pleasant: the intermittent burning sensations have caused me to scratch all the hairs off my right forearm...

Take care, folks!🔥

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...