Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

I'm thinking of growing blueberries (looks beautiful does the plant) and strawberries in my room.

Given that it never gets much lower than about 10C when can i plant them?

Well its that time of year again today I have got seeds set off they are; Tomatoes (trying a different one this year which I saw on Gardeners world), Carrots, Lettuce, Spring onions, Onions and Beetroot all these have been set off in a heated bubbled wrapped greenhouse

I'm thinking of growing blueberries (looks beautiful does the plant) and strawberries in my room.

Given that it never gets much lower than about 10C when can i plant them?

Strawberry's are one of the easiest fruits you can grow depending on what sort of property you have depends on where you place then.

If you only have a small back yard which doesn't get much sun I would recommend a hanging basket similar to this

Posted Image

That could be fitted anywhere really the higher up it is the better so near a south facing window that you can easily reach to would be ideal

If you have a back yard or small garden then either into pots or straight into soil would be fine again make sure the area gets lots of sunshine in the spring and summer

One thing you must remember with Strawberry's always cover them over with netting no matter where you place them as Birds love then when there fully ripe

Well its that time of year again today I have got seeds set off they are; Tomatoes (trying a different one this year which I saw on Gardeners world), Carrots, Lettuce, Spring onions, Onions and Beetroot all these have been set off in a heated bubbled wrapped greenhouse

Strawberry's are one of the easiest fruits you can grow depending on what sort of property you have depends on where you place then.

If you only have a small back yard which doesn't get much sun I would recommend a hanging basket similar to this

Posted Image

That could be fitted anywhere really the higher up it is the better so near a south facing window that you can easily reach to would be ideal

If you have a back yard or small garden then either into pots or straight into soil would be fine again make sure the area gets lots of sunshine in the spring and summer

One thing you must remember with Strawberry's always cover them over with netting no matter where you place them as Birds love then when there fully ripe

I'm going to grow them indoors in my room (windowsill or a shelf) they will never get a frost or pests but should get several hours of sunshine a day (i'll change the soil every 3 months or so).

I never realised how beautiful the blueberry plant was until i saw this...

Posted Image

Just to let you all know Monty Don and Gardeners world will be returning to BBC 2 and BBC HD on Friday March 8th thats 6 Fridays time and will be running for around 31 weeks to the beginning of November this will include its traditional break for the RHS Chelsea flower show which runs from May 21st to May 25th

Before that returns Monty will be presenting a new show called Monty Don's French Gardens

It will be on

Friday 1st February

Friday 8th February

Friday 15th February

It will be on from 21:00 to 22:00 on BBC 2 (England and BBC HD) BBC 2 Wales will show it at 21:30 on the 1st February

There will then be a 2 week break before Gardens world returns

Thanks Gav, This year i have got myself a new cold frame around 3x5m to help guard my plant's from the foul weather we have to endure over the last 2/3 summers ! Knowing my luck after investing in one, we will have a stonker of a summer, i certainly hope so...

Just 3 days without rain and a strong wind is all I ask for I have a Greenhouse to put up its a 10ft x 8ft one I have constructed the 2 sides front and back all I need to do now is get the base down and slot all the sides together get the roof on and put all the glass in all 83 pieces of it.

Thanks Gav, This year i have got myself a new cold frame around 3x5m to help guard my plant's from the foul weather we have to endure over the last 2/3 summers ! Knowing my luck after investing in one, we will have a stonker of a summer, i certainly hope so...

A cold frame is one of the best things you can invest in its ideal for hardening your plants off and as you say keeps the foul weather off your crops.

It can also extend the growing season as the sun keeps the plants warm inside even though the air temperature may not be very warm.

The greenhouse will be going in a south facing location so come the summer it will get around 14 hours of sun but even in the winter like now it would easily get 5 hours of sunshine and the temperature would hit around 25c with the windows shut

A cold frame is one of the best things you can invest in its ideal for hardening your plants off and as you say keeps the foul weather off your crops.

It can also extend the growing season as the sun keeps the plants warm inside even though the air temperature may not be very warm.

The greenhouse will be going in a south facing location so come the summer it will get around 14 hours of sun but even in the winter like now it would easily get 5 hours of sunshine and the temperature would hit around 25c with the windows shut

My plan is to start them early this year, and get my crops healthy and strong, which will hopefully give them a good head start. Also this year i plan to build some raised beds for better drainage, as last year my garden was sodden.

My plan is to start them early this year, and get my crops healthy and strong, which will hopefully give them a good head start. Also this year i plan to build some raised beds for better drainage, as last year my garden was sodden.

Yes raised beds are good the main thing for drainage is your soil the finer it is the better if its lumpy and or a bit clayey rain will struggle to drain away ideally a rotavator is the best tool for breaking soil up but it depends on how big your garden is

Edited by Gavin.

My friend has a rotavator so i could borrow that and give it a good blast over, but with plans for raised beds (which also makes it easy'er as less bending) im not risking another failed crop !

Well can finally see my garden now snow is gone - done quite a bit of damager to the cabbages/broccoli I had under fleeces just from its weight. Oh well - plenty more cluttering the greenhouse up anyway! Greenhouse is finally receiving a bit of sunlight now as the sun gets higher. Still only 30 mins striking the roof of it but still it helps warm it a bit.

Starting peppers/chillies as soon as the seeds turn up. Going to start them in my south facing office as we get all the sunshine you can get in winter unlike my shady house. Will then bring them back to plant in the greenhouse when its time.

Really really hoping for better weather this year - last year was dire with only strawberries & broccoli doing well out of everything I tried.

Well its that time of year again today I have got seeds set off they are; Tomatoes (trying a different one this year which I saw on Gardeners world)

I'd recommend Sungold if you get the chance to grow some more.

I grew them along with Roma and Gardeners' Delight last year. With the weather being so poor, the Sungold still did well and therefore make a good insurance plant if we're in for the same this year.

Sungold are a cherry variety that are ripe when orange. They were the first to the plate by quite some distance and taste great too.

What sort of Chillies are you going for Botty ? Think I will try them again this year, dam greenfly nearly killed them last year, i must me more careful this time !

Cayenne, Norfolk Naga and Caldero this time.

I actually did well with chillies last year (unlike sweet peppers that struggled) although they were not as hot as you'd expect with the weather and all.

If they are easy to grow and not to hot.. i shall give them a go !

I'd recommend Sungold if you get the chance to grow some more.

I grew them along with Roma and Gardeners' Delight last year. With the weather being so poor, the Sungold still did well and therefore make a good insurance plant if we're in for the same this year.

Sungold are a cherry variety that are ripe when orange. They were the first to the plate by quite some distance and taste great too.

I'm not a fan of cherry tomatoes TBH I'm growing the traditional Moneymaker tomatoes and this new variety I saw on Gardeners world they look like a perfect round decent sized fruit

If they are easy to grow and not to hot.. i shall give them a go !

Some of the easiest veg to grow is

Carrots - carrot fly resistant

Green Beans

Lettuce - needs plenty of air in hot weather

Tomatoes - they are fairly easy to grow but they are best indoors IE greenhouse they need some care and attention when the side shoots start - Moneymakers are the traditional favorites

Thanks Gav, I would like to grow Cauliflower is it really as hard to grow as people make out..?

Tomatoes are needy things as you have to keep up with taking off the suckers (side shoots). Be ruthless here and keep one or two growing tips only otherwise they become a tangled mess with smaller (but more) fruit.

Carrots - dead easy and very rewarding. I got a big crop even in last years weather and I only had a small space to grow in.

Broccoli - tastes amazing when you grow your own and is pretty easy if you can keep slugs at bay.

Cauliflower I've not tried yet - heard it is more prone to pests so harder to grow.

Chillies are dead easy too - just put em in a 9 inch pot and feed now & again. Let them dry out before watering throughly again. They love hot sunshine but seem to grow ok without much as I proved last year.

Thanks Gav, I would like to grow Cauliflower is it really as hard to grow as people make out..?

Yes Cauliflowers can be hard to grow they are fussy little things you need the soil to be just right

It needs to be fertile, well-drained and moist with plenty of rich organic matter (in layman's terms its compost's)

The soil pH really needs to be between 6.5 and 6.8 for best growth all you need is one of these if your soil isn't right you can go to your local garden center or nursery where you can get products to get it in the right condition

They also need plenty of sun and around 1 to 1.5 inches of water per week

Some cauli's have leaves which cover the heads these are the best other wise you have to pull the leaves over your self when the heads start to show they must be covered with netting as well other wise butterflies will lay there eggs on them on ruin your crop/s

I've tried for 3 years to get them right its been frustrating at times but I'm getting there with them now

Edited by Gavin.

After reading that, i think i will give them a miss this time round.... maybe next season when i have a bit of experience under my belt Posted Image

After reading that, i think i will give them a miss this time round.... maybe next season when i have a bit of experience under my belt Posted Image

Probably best tbh the best thing to do first is grow veg thats fairly easy then progress each year of course some years crops maybe poor but thats often down to the British weather unfortunately

I don't know how big your garden is but things like potatoes are easy to grow they are delicious for salads in late spring and summer you plant the seed potatoes around late march and they often harvest around late June and early July as ever the timing of this is all down to the weather a spring like 2011 and they could be ready around mid June a spring like 2012 and they are later.

If you are short of space a potato planter is ideal

Onions are also easy the best variety in my opinion is Sturon I've never had a bad crop even up here in the NE where our summers are often 5 to 10c cooler than down south even after the wash out summers of 2007 and 2012 they grew perfectly

Edited by Gavin.

I have grown new potoes early spring in a bucket in the greenhouse before now.Very tasty they were...

Looking at the models for this weekend we should see the weather settle down with high pressure dominating the Atlantic and drifting over the UK for a time if this is the case I should get the greenhouse up this weekend then I can get my seeds from the little greenhouse into the new one.

1) It will save on Gas for the heater during the sunny days as I can turn it off

2) It gets sunshine all day as its south facing the little one only gets the sun from late March to late October (the average temperature for the top is 25c during winter and upto 40c during the long warm / hot days in spring and summer

Edited by Gavin.