Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Am I meant cut geraniums right down over winter or pull them out completely?

I would suggest you carefully dig them up cut them back a bit (both tops and roots) to make them tidy pulling off all old leaves. I then plant a few into a large pot or deep box to over winter in a cold but frost free location. They are very susceptible to mould so giving them a good spray with fungicide will help. Let the fungicide dry off before putting them away. In the spring if you are lucky they will start sprouting. 

If you have the facilities it is usually best to take cuttings in late August and over winter the small plants. They don’t have to be cut back which increases the risk of mould growth. Keep pulling off dead and rotten leaves. You can dust with Flowers of Sulphur to help counter rot spreading or occurring where they are cut. 

Well I picked the last of the tomatoes about 10 days ago and still have flowering marigolds just...

It was an incredibly dull job planting 1000's of Aconites and Snowdrops, but definitely worth the tedium.

50505605_10216365540904036_5438360892402040832_n.jpg

50656827_10216365541744057_707006798661419008_n.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone on here grow gooseberries? Have such good memories of them from my childhood but the varieties I’ve grown recently, although pleasant, are no match in terms of flavour and sweetness. Anyone grow any old varieties? I guess the dreaded mildew has all but eradicated most of them.

Edited by stainesbloke

10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Anyone on here grow gooseberries? Have such good memories of them from my childhood but the varieties I’ve grown recently, although pleasant, are no match in terms of flavour and sweetness. Anyone grow any old varieties? I guess the dreaded mildew has all but eradicated most of them.

Good Morning SB & other posters.

I have a couple of gooseberry bushes on my allotment which I have had for about 3 years & I do not know what I am doing wrong but I have only had i gooseberry between them in that time. Anyone got any suggestions apart from giving up? I grow raspberries and blackcurrants without any trouble. 

Thanks

20 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Good Morning SB & other posters.

I have a couple of gooseberry bushes on my allotment which I have had for about 3 years & I do not know what I am doing wrong but I have only had i gooseberry between them in that time. Anyone got any suggestions apart from giving up? I grow raspberries and blackcurrants without any trouble. 

Thanks

Gooseberries must be very securely netted from birds, they will strip the bush of fruit even before berries are ripe. Wood pigeons are the worst culprits. A good time to net the bushes is after the fruit has set but before they swell too much. 

• Thanks 1

Gardeners' world is back on the box next Friday with filming from Monty's garden underway this week it's fair to say spring will be a lot more advanced than last year's opening month or so

Would we say the risk of frost has passed in Kent? I'm toying with idea of planting out my tomato and pepper seedlings.

On 27/03/2019 at 09:52, Lauren said:

Would we say the risk of frost has passed in Kent? I'm toying with idea of planting out my tomato and pepper seedlings.

Way too early. I wouldn’t plant them out until mid May, especially the peppers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Way too early. I wouldn’t plant them out until mid May, especially the peppers.

That's what I decided in the end. Got a little collection of seedlings going indoors at the moment.

• Like 1

My seedlings are growing to much in their little pots and plastic covers.

I would say if you plant them out put a plastic lid over them to protect them and getting the heat in the little space.
I always plant out early but by the coast and sheltered garden so normally get away with it, in fact the main thing that kills them here is any heavy rain.

It also depends on what space you have, ie i dont have a greenhouse so its much easier to keep them for longer with the space and protection that greenhouses give you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

That's what I decided in the end. Got a little collection of seedlings going indoors at the moment.

Me too. I’ve learnt not to sow too early as everything quickly catches up. We had that late frost 2 springs ago that killed quite a few plants on my allotment site. Tomatoes and peppers hate cold and once they get a ‘cold shock’, they take ages to recover, if at all. Will you be growing your peppers outside?

Edited by stainesbloke

2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Me too. I’ve learnt not to sow too early as everything quickly catches up. We had that late frost 2 springs ago that killed quite a few plants on my allotment site. Tomatoes and peppers hate cold and once they get a ‘cold shock’, they take ages to recover, if at all. Will you be growing your peppers outside?

Yep in large pots as well as the tomatoes.

• Like 1

One of my lemon thyme plants in a trough (in a well-drained compost/grit mix) which lost most of its leaves over the winter appears to be struggling - it isn't shooting-out very vigourously and the leaves that are appearing seem to have brown blotches.  Could it be rust fungus?