Radar
Snow?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a glorious, Spring like day today, spent most of it sowing seeds and marking out a new flower bed. The new bed will be eleven and a half foot wide by just over sixty foot long, fronted by a

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine so if I slip into rant mode, I apologise now.   Titchmarsh is right, gardeners are universally regarded as too thick to do anything else, the public perception is a

The Pergola is up, the digging is all done, the gravel is spread and the massive tree has had a trim to expose the trunk and let some light through ; all that's left to do is plant it up and pray for

Posted Images

1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

disintegrated

not a good prognosis

...buy some more and nurture like they were a pet or hobby or a partner (-;

• Like 1
On 23/07/2018 at 18:09, Mapantz said:

I have a a large pond, around 4500 gallons, so several watering cans worth once a week doesn't get missed. As it contains plenty of nitrates from fish waste, the lawn loves it.

The Wisteria is huge now. To the right, it has created a huge canopy, so I have a patio table and chairs under it - perfect in this weather. I also hung some solar fairy lights under it, so it's even better chilling under it at night.

20180723_175404.thumb.jpg.d0a6e2cf3b7c2e2385b8cc320eb857aa.jpg 20180707_125424_HDR.thumb.jpg.71f3ff4f1f53069c520076a93afb3eb4.jpg

20180702_150518.thumb.jpg.31bf2bc5b5fed525372a031c8a5be94e.jpg 20180707_125548_HDR.thumb.jpg.3c5445a2ae85d553fc89e53264f81cbe.jpg 20180702_150039.thumb.jpg.d5de49891ef50f8d86b4d2147ed1ead2.jpg
20180723_174557.thumb.jpg.20f9b4d6457db068fed759b349e4171f.jpg

Hydrangea, thanks. 

That last one is exactly the flower i posted a picture of last week except it's really spralled the last few months and seems to love sun and heat.

In other news the Kolancho i have had for years has loved this summer albeit it prefers a more humid, moist setting (it loves the kitchen in winter with the central heating and being near the drier, kettle a and stove).

My Rodedendrum however can't stand this summer, probably because it's a thirsty type of plant. 

Sunflowers of course and fucias seem to be liking it.   

A fairly good crop of veg this year

The Onions are lifted and drying out nicely

Tomatoes are ripening rapidly going to be a bumper crop of cucumbers too

The climbing beans are now on week 4 of picking and show no sign of easing up yet

Spring onions sown in our new veg plot failed, despite being under insect-proof mesh and being watered most evenings in the dry weather.  We're now trying them in a plastic trough of compost, next to a similar trough of radishes.  Runner beans are doing well, at least the "Polestar" we grew from seed are; the "Enorma" plants we bought from our market gardener seem to be struggling, despite being in the same plot, and the beans are tough and bland in flavour.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

I'm afraid I have a couple of queries and would be grateful for advice, please:

Firstly, I'm having problems with a Crested Gentian (G. septemfida) that I was given last year.  It's in a large pot with good-quality multi-purpose compost and gets a liquid feed every few weeks and a reasonable amount of water on a daily basis in hot, dry weather.  It produced loads of health foliage this spring, and flowered in the sunny position I had it in, but, as the heat increased, the tips of the leaves seemed to go pale brown and wither.  We've moved it to a position which is shaded from early afternoon, and I've increased the amount of water I put on it (always after the sun has dropped low enough for it to be in the shade), but it's still not recovering much.  Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

Secondly, I'm growing garden mint (spearmint) and sage in containers in different parts of the garden, but they both seem badly affected by powdery mildew.  I've read so many conflicting ideas online (some say moisten the leaves in dry weather, others say thin the plants to increase air circulation to dry the leaves out), but it means that I can't use the leaves of either as, apparently, it isn't safe to use affected leaves.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to which approach I ought to take to sort the problem?  I'm going to lift and divide the mint this autumn as it's filled the pot, and I'm going to take one of the sage plants out of the growing trough as I think they're affected by being cramped and by the very sandy, well-drained medium  they're currently in (I'm mainly growing lemon thyme in the same trough and it needs very light soil).

Thanks!?

On 01/08/2018 at 18:42, Lauren said:

Hanging baskets. Are you meant to water them until water starts runn8ng out the holes at the bottom?

Yes water them until the water runs through. But remember if the basket is very dry water will run through without wetting all the compost so repeat the operation over few hours until compost nicely moistened. 

As the water runs though you will loose nutients so remember to use a suitable feed. Phostogen or something similar. If basket in full flower use a tomato fertiliser occasionally. 

• Like 1

I got a whole load of different seeds, herbs, tomatoes, cauliflower, etc etc, and put them in lots of different containers and watered them, now two things are growing in the containers.but i forgot to label the containers so now i dont know what is growing so it will be interesting.First time anything i planted has ever grown even a tiny bit.

2 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I got a whole load of different seeds, herbs, tomatoes, cauliflower, etc etc, and put them in lots of different containers and watered them, now two things are growing in the containers.but i forgot to label the containers so now i dont know what is growing so it will be interesting.First time anything i planted has ever grown even a tiny bit.

don't plant any triffids fgs, but if you have to, then label them 

Edited by lassie23

This rain has really battered my poor hanging baskets. 

My geraniums don't seem to want to to flower. They've got lots of sun, they've been fed. Not sure what else I can do!

19 minutes ago, Lauren said:

This rain has really battered my poor hanging baskets. 

My geraniums don't seem to want to to flower. They've got lots of sun, they've been fed. Not sure what else I can do!

my garden is pants this year too despite the best summer ever, tomatoes rubbish, beans dried up, courgettes dead, cucumbers struggling, i guess it can just be too hot, got a melon though, which makes up for everything as i have been trying to grow one for 20 years.

11 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

my garden is pants this year too despite the best summer ever, tomatoes rubbish, beans dried up, courgettes dead, cucumbers struggling, i guess it can just be too hot, got a melon though, which makes up for everything as i have been trying to grow one for 20 years.

How did you manage a melon with all that dry heat ? You must've been watering it 3 times daily for the past 2 months lol

2 minutes ago, The East has Ceased said:

How did you manage a melon with all that dry heat ? You must've been watering it 3 times daily for the past 2 months lol

lol you have to otherwise it goes all floppy

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

Take some photos and put them up in here, I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.