Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Harvested last two apples..Very poor this year...Still got herbs for those casseroles...

a fairly poor year here too. tomatoes got some kind of mould/blight (presuming it was due to all the rain), had to bin one plant and reduce the other two - the surviving fruits are still green and i'm gonna pick them today.

Cucumbers were good but not as good as previous years.

chillies have done very well indeed, but they are SO strong i can't eat them!

Green peppers have done better than ever but, like Bottesford, still quite small.

strawberries, mange tout, raspberries did ok.

i sooo need a greenhouse!

generally though it's been one of the best years i can remember for plants and herbs, but not so good for veg/fruit.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Chillies have done very well - especially the hot yellow cayenne ones. The long red ones are mostly still long green ones!

Had 3 big sweet peppers with that one now going yellow with another 6 medium sized and another load still small. This is from 4 quite big plants. Just heartbreaking to see how much fruit is now finally appearing too late. If this was early August and we had some decent weather ahead I'd have peppers coming out my ears!

I recommend a greenhouse - mine is just a green plastic one (50 quid from Homebase) so easy to set up but not suited to windy locations - I'm very sheltered from wind but unfortunately meaning I'm sheltered from the sun outside the peak months. If I hadn't got one this 'summer' would have destroyed everything - it at least keeps things free of rain and if you are lucky enough to get some sun it warms up nicely. Have to keep on top of the condensation though as lost things to mold during the monsoon season in June.

Going to leave everything in the greenhouse as long as it'll go as have no room to bring anything inside. Still catching 3-4 or so hours of sun on at least part of it at the moment (assuming we get any sun at the correct times of day of course) so probably got 3 or so weeks before it'll be in shade almost all day. Suspect the tomatoes followed by the peppers will keel over by that point - it will be sad to watch it all die in the cold :(

What is the latest time of the year to lay grass seed? Everytime I've put some down this year we've had torrential rain and the seeds have been washed away, my lawn is very patchy, should I leave it for this year or have one last go

What is the latest time of the year to lay grass seed? Everytime I've put some down this year we've had torrential rain and the seeds have been washed away, my lawn is very patchy, should I leave it for this year or have one last go

Depends upon the type of grass and soil conditions. Tough Rye grass will germinate in lower temperatures than the finer lawn grasses; I'm guessing your seed is mixed and bought from a garden centre (?) if it's described as hard wearing or resilient to family wear and tear then it will have a high Rye grass content. Sandy, well drained soils are able to be sown earlier/later in the season than heavy clay ones because they warm up earlier, don't hold onto water and so tend to be warmer later in the season too.

Generally speaking, grass seed will germinate between 6 -10c so if you've got sandy or well drained soil and are using a general purpose seed mix, I'd say give it one more go now. If you've got heavy soil then you'll probably struggle to get much growth out of it even if it does germinate, so leave it until the Spring. If you've got heavy soil and are intending to sow a finer grass seed for a picture perfect lawn then the best time for seeding is Never. Fine lawn seed needs good drainage, if you sow it on heavy ground all you'll ever get is patchy growth with lots of weeds and moss; a fine sward needs good soil with good drainage and that needs to be addressed before the seed is sown.

Thanks Jethro, it was a Canadian Green Rye Grass I used on several occasions, it's advertised at very hardwearing and will grow in extreme temps, maybe not torrential rain!. The ground is fine, I spent ages preparing it all but each time I've put seed down the rain has washed it away or into clumps, the seed thats has germinated is patchy. Maybe one last go

Little or no plums, apples, onions, carrots, strawberries, runner beans but good beetroot,excellent sprouts ,cabbage,cauliflower,leeks, peas,and lettuce.

Almost exactly split between heat loving plants and cold tolerant plants.

Worst ever year I have ever seen for top fruit.

Thanks Jethro, it was a Canadian Green Rye Grass I used on several occasions, it's advertised at very hardwearing and will grow in extreme temps, maybe not torrential rain!. The ground is fine, I spent ages preparing it all but each time I've put seed down the rain has washed it away or into clumps, the seed thats has germinated is patchy. Maybe one last go

Good luck! Try mixing it with equal parts of sharp sand before sowing; the sand will tend to clag in the rain and keep the seed in situ a bit better, once the rain has passed the sand quickly looses the water so won't water log the seed like soil would.

Last year i had plums a plenty ,this year they fell off or rotted . my veg plot at top of garden as been left untouched for two years , mainly because i had a bad hand [CARPEL TUNNEL] hand goes dead etc . ok now ,last week i gave the plot a good tidy up weeding digging etc . i was totally amazed ,under all the weeds were atleast 20 or so TURNIPS the best turnips i have ever grown ,not bad considering the last time i put turnip seed in was 4 yrs ago . gardening can throw up many surprises ,severall yrs ago i acidentially dropped a load of radish seeds down inbetween the outside flooring of my summer house ,hey presto award winning radish ,they only had dust to grow in .this year i grew runners in big pots ,put them in late ,had a good crop the last 3 wks but the top flowers were all nearly knocked yesterday because of sun nights deluge ,Cant win em all .Posted Image

Pretty well a write off, both vegs and flowers. Too wet and sunless.

Never had such a useless year.

May manage a few sprouts if the rains don't rot the plants.

Apples going mouldy on the trees.

A few wild blackberries have made it -- but very small.

Makes me wonder how people would have survived centuries ago, through the winter until the early summer when fresh crops came available. Perhaps ate nettles etc.

Pretty well a write off, both vegs and flowers. Too wet and sunless.

Never had such a useless year.

May manage a few sprouts if the rains don't rot the plants.

Apples going mouldy on the trees.

A few wild blackberries have made it -- but very small.

Makes me wonder how people would have survived centuries ago, through the winter until the early summer when fresh crops came available. Perhaps ate nettles etc.

All those tasty veg we now grow have been bred from wild varieties, the wild versions had less diversity, lower yields and shorter seasons but were better at coping with varying conditions; years ago folk picked the wild stuff.

Peppers still going strong - two now well ripened ready to eat this weekend. Got plenty more green ones still getting bigger and the plants still look very happy.

Tomatoes ripening but plants now really starting to look tired.

Get the feeling peppers struggle at the beginning under poor conditions but survive fine later - tomatoes the opposite way round. With conditions not all that different to last May and June at the moment its an interesting comparison.

Anyone doing any winter veg gardening?

Got myself a winter veg garden from here: http://www.organiccatalogue.com

Cabbages, pak choi, corn salad, calabrese, red mustard and various others which I'm growing in beds/pots under a fleece or in the greenhouse (well once the summer crops are gone anyway!).

First go at winter gardening so we shall see. Not sure if I'll have vast success as the plants will need to grow in perpetual shade with no sunlight whatsoever (except perhaps on the top shelf in the far corner in the greenhouse and then only 30 mins by mid winter).

Yes, I am.

Pak Choi, Corn Salad, Mizuna, Kohl Rabi, Black Kale, Purple Sprouting, Leeks, Parsnips, Jerusalem Artichokes, Swiss Chard; there are also Carrots and Beetroot but they probably won't make it through the winter, they'll be eaten too quickly.

The garden's still going strong down here, still have lots of assorted salad leaves from a late sowing. An optimistic ultra late sowing of Mange Tu has paid dividends, they're cropping like mad. Spinach is rampant, the Runner Beans are still going strong, loads of Tomatoes, Chillies, Peppers, Cucumbers and Aubergines in the greenhouse.

Apart from a few Black Fly on the Runner Bean tips early on in the season, I haven't had any aphid problems this year; I dotted Calendula throughout the veg garden and planted French Marigolds beside every Tomato plant, it's worked a treat!

I've still got peppers in my greenhouse - chilli peppers continue to ripen very slowly and I'm harvesting weekly. Sweet bell peppers are all huge but green and showing no sign of ripening. Had two small ripen yellow ones in late Sept but its all about stopped now.

The plants are looking a little strained by the cold now although still healthy. Don't know whether to harvest the lot and have them green/unripe or leave it until the plants either fail completely or by some miracle they ripen. It's a sunny day today and I can see I'm getting a couple of hours of sun fall on the upper half of the greenhouse only so energy is in very short supply.

Anyone else still got peppers going?

I've still got Peppers and Chillies but will be picking them all this week - the Peppers will be preserved in oil, will dry the Chillies. If they're left much longer they'll start to rot. The frost on Friday night has finally finished off the Runner Beans, Peas and Mange Tout so they'll be cleared this week. If anyone else has/had beans and Peas, when you clear them just cut the top growth off and dig their roots into the ground - all types of legumes take Nitrogen from the atmosphere and store it in their roots in funny knobbly little growths, this will be released as they rot down in the ground, giving the soil a boost. Plant leafy veg like Lettuce/Spinach/Cabbage on that spot next year and you'll get a better crop because of the extra Nitrogen.

Harvested two more courgettes yesterday which is the latest we have had them still producing since starting to grow our own stuff 4 years ago. Runners are still going but slowing down and most of my chillies are now finally red, how much longer I can give the remaining greens Im not sure. Hopefully wont be long now til we can start harvesting the parsnips.

Couldn't bare to part with my peppers & chillies so they've all come inside turning the living room into a jungle! We actually quite like it so will now attempt to overwinter them - especially as they're all still bearing fruit.

Not sure how they'll do as light levels are pitiful in here even on sunny days. They will at least get 1 hour or so of direct sun (compared to zero in the garden) assuming sun arrives at the exact right times (0900-1000 ish) so we'll see.

One big chilli plant wilted and died the moment it came inside - literally overnight - no idea why. Others looking ok with plenty of ripe chillies although bell peppers remain green.

Outdoors got heaps of winter veg now in the newly emptied greenhouse and under fleeces. Mostly cabbages/broccoli but also mustard leaves, mizuna, pak choi and rainbow chard. All doing well except the slugs that continue to eat things. Surely they must die off soon!

Couldn't bare to part with my peppers & chillies so they've all come inside turning the living room into a jungle! We actually quite like it so will now attempt to overwinter them - especially as they're all still bearing fruit.

Not sure how they'll do as light levels are pitiful in here even on sunny days. They will at least get 1 hour or so of direct sun (compared to zero in the garden) assuming sun arrives at the exact right times (0900-1000 ish) so we'll see.

One big chilli plant wilted and died the moment it came inside - literally overnight - no idea why. Others looking ok with plenty of ripe chillies although bell peppers remain green.

Outdoors got heaps of winter veg now in the newly emptied greenhouse and under fleeces. Mostly cabbages/broccoli but also mustard leaves, mizuna, pak choi and rainbow chard. All doing well except the slugs that continue to eat things. Surely they must die off soon!

Unfortunately, B, slugs don't die off no matter how cold the weather, although they do become inactive as they seek out frost-free places in which to hunker down until the temperature rises again. Once it becomes milder out they come again, ravenously hungry

I've still got Peppers and Chillies but will be picking them all this week - the Peppers will be preserved in oil, will dry the Chillies. If they're left much longer they'll start to rot.

What chillies do you grow? Seems that the Trinidad Scorpion is currently the hottest. http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blhotchiles.htm

For those who like seeing people daft enough to eat very hot chillies check out Youtube.

Hottest one I grow is the Cayenne.

What chillies do you grow? Seems that the Trinidad Scorpion is currently the hottest. http://homecooking.a...blhotchiles.htm

For those who like seeing people daft enough to eat very hot chillies check out Youtube.

Hottest one I grow is the Cayenne.

I can't remember what they were, I know one was Scotch Bonnet but clueless what the other two were, idiot here didn't label them and lost the seed packets. Looking for a willing volunteer to try them, see how hot they are, I approached hubby with a vague 'try this,I don't think they're really hot', it resulted in something vaguely coherent, but I'm pretty certain wouldn't get past the swear filter here. Apparently they're a tad on the warm side and he's not wimpish about his chillies.

I grow the yellow cayennes (hot) and the long thin ones (less hot) - not sure their name though.

Chilli is such a lovely flavour if you can take the heat - and the smell of them freshly chopped is wonderful. Frying them though tends to fill the kitchen with sneezing gas!

i also have turned my room into a jungle and have brought my chilli plants inside. Still loads of fruit on them and picking nearly everyday. after a month or so indoors, i have noticed that some fruits are starting to go quite soft now tho, so i don't think they will last too much longer. i've also noticed some whitefly hanging around Posted Image

im growing UK Apache chillies this year (dwarf). Some are very, very hot but others much milder - on the same plant.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

My peppers are ripening! Finally the yellow & red bell peppers are starting to change colour - they obviously like the escape from the cold. That makes it my very first red peppers of the 2012 season - in mid November!

Chillies continue to crop although starting to run out now. Noticed a fair amount of leaf drop since the plants came in probably due to the reduced light levels.

Just got my last ripened small sweet pepper and now time for the plants to struggle on through the winter.

The very sunny weather we're having is probably helping although not much in this shaded location. I spent this weekend plastering the plants against the window/moving furniture in order to feed them 45 mins of direct sunlight. Crazy (made a right mess) but best meal they've had in months! They keep dropping leaves with the two cayenne peppers looking very sad now. Two other chillie plants have died but all four sweet peppers are ok.. so far.

To illustrate the sun light problem - a view from my window:

post-94-0-47841700-1355668752_thumb.jpg

The only other sun the house gets is the roof or a small patch of sun coming in through a small skylight (my only west facing window). Need a new house....