Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

A bumper year for Gooseberries. Picked them today and got an entire shopping basket full to the brim off of two bushes; an evening of jam making looms....

Things keep eating my strawberries.....Peas are doing REALLY well...cauliflower and Broccoli are starting to come now....we have had carrots to, oh and also something has ate the onions...Next year things are going in big buckets...

Cauliflower.....my nemesis. I gave up with the damn things years ago, they clearly hate me.

If anyone's planning on making jam/pickles, beware the cost of jam jars.......

I ran out of jam jars so had to buy some. Went into a cook shop full of nice shiny things, stroked a Kitchen Aid mixer on route to the jam jars, found them priced at £1.40 - £2.00 each! Abandoned the shop full of shiny implements, headed off to Lakeland, found and bought their jam jars at 40p each - bargain, or so I thought. Next stop the supermarket for more sugar, wandering past the preserve section I stopped for a quick price comparison of bought versus home-made....their cheapest of the cheap marmalade and jam is 27p. So, if you're wanting jam jars, it's cheaper to buy them filled with supermarket economy jam. How bonkers is that?

Well I'm 'enlarging' my daughter's garden at the mo...The laurels and stuff really seem to have enjoyed this year's weather conditions, so far. Unfortunately, the cleggs are now enjoying the sunshine, and biting like crazy!

If anyone's planning on making jam/pickles, beware the cost of jam jars.......

I ran out of jam jars so had to buy some. Went into a cook shop full of nice shiny things, stroked a Kitchen Aid mixer on route to the jam jars, found them priced at £1.40 - £2.00 each! Abandoned the shop full of shiny implements, headed off to Lakeland, found and bought their jam jars at 40p each - bargain, or so I thought. Next stop the supermarket for more sugar, wandering past the preserve section I stopped for a quick price comparison of bought versus home-made....their cheapest of the cheap marmalade and jam is 27p. So, if you're wanting jam jars, it's cheaper to buy them filled with supermarket economy jam. How bonkers is that?

A higher demand for jam than there is empty jars! Crazy as it sounds...

My garden looks so so much better for this week of warmth and sun. Suddenly the peppers are flowering and the flowers they have are not dropping off dead anymore. Need summer to remain decent then perhaps a chance of salvaging what has been a terrible year to take up gardening properly!

A higher demand for jam than there is empty jars! Crazy as it sounds...

My garden looks so so much better for this week of warmth and sun. Suddenly the peppers are flowering and the flowers they have are not dropping off dead anymore. Need summer to remain decent then perhaps a chance of salvaging what has been a terrible year to take up gardening properly!

Cauliflower now going from brown to purple...Carrots have been harvested and peas are about finish...everything has come early for me! (Still having pots next year!)

Strawberries are nearly gone.Thornless blackberries are huge and going in the pie-dish this week...Only 6 apples after all the weather of late,and that is between 3 trees.....

This weekend should stiffen things up a little.

Every thing is wilting today ...The hose will be out...

Everything has finished with me now...thats it for this year I think!

I will be watching Autumnwatch on the BBC this year though! As I have seen squirrels gathering food :)

How are peoples crops then?

In all the rain this summer my rose grew a second main branch and has sprouted 7, the original branch only had 1.

How are peoples crops then?

In all the rain this summer my rose grew a second main branch and has sprouted 7, the original branch only had 1.

A bumper crop of Runner Beans, ditto with Peas (another sowing doing nicely, should crop soon) not so good with the Dwarf French Beans. The Onions were magnificent, much better than the past few years. Salad crops were/are amazing, still got loads with more coming on nicely. Spinach was brilliant, none turning to seed, ditto the Swiss Chard. The third lot of Carrots and Beetroot will be ready to pick soon, they've done well too. Parsnips, Leeks and Celeriac look like they'll be a good crop later in the season through the winter months. Brassica's have been a mixed bag, the Kohl Rabbi did well, Purple Sprouting and Black Kale are looking a little sickly. Broad Beans were mediocre, still got lots to come but they've been really slow to fill out. Globe Artichokes were ok-ish, decent heads but not as many as previous years, the Jerusalem ones should be ready to start digging soon, fingers crossed the slugs haven't got to them. Pumpkins are doing ok, the Butternut Squash are not so happy - lots of flowers but really reluctant to set fruit, Courgettes have been fine.

In the Greenhouse, I've got more Tomatoes than I know what to do with, there's hundreds of them - I can see a Chutney session coming on. Cucumbers......note to self.....DO NOT FEED.....it's like the day of the triffids, they've gone mad - anyone know what to do with a glut of them? Peppers and Chillies - lots of fruit on both but idiot here lost the seed packets, I've no idea which ones are hot and which ones are mild. According to hubby, the Black ones are mind blowingly hot, at least that's kind of what he mumbled after popping one in his mouth and chewing.....oops!

Just picking blackberries now.......

Anybody ever considered having a room inside the house to grow vegetables? It occurred to me that with the stable temperature and lack of pests you could get decent crops.

Anybody ever considered having a room inside the house to grow vegetables? It occurred to me that with the stable temperature and lack of pests you could get decent crops.

Theoretically possible but not economically worth it. Technically it's no different than growing things in a greenhouse but you'd face problems with lighting and moisture damage to your property. You would need proper grow lights to mimic sunlight, these cost a fortune to run plus you'd run the risk of any Police helicopter picking up the intense heat/light source and have them come looking to see what kind of crop you're growing.

Theoretically possible but not economically worth it. Technically it's no different than growing things in a greenhouse but you'd face problems with lighting and moisture damage to your property. You would need proper grow lights to mimic sunlight, these cost a fortune to run plus you'd run the risk of any Police helicopter picking up the intense heat/light source and have them come looking to see what kind of crop you're growing.

I have grown a few things on windowsills and that seems good enough (greenhouses are much hotter than a normal house), simply keeping the curtains off would probably do the trick i imagine.

As i do gardening for a living the observations about this year are that most seed,grass,carrots beetroot ect sown straight into the ground this year have resulted in very poor returns,people that started stuff in greenhouses and then planted out have had reasonable results,but far and away the most noticeable difference has been the volume and frequency of hedgecutting this year,it has been mind boggling due to the high water volumes,its fair to say that ive done an average of 4 hours hedgework a day either for my customers,or just contract work,thank God for my holiday in Somerset next week,a nice break and who knows maybe some good weather too.

very poor year here regards fruit and root crops.medium to good blossom late April on the trees but no insects about for pollination.

regards the root crops they simply grew and died,70% of the onions (sturon) bolted and the spuds simply turned to mush underground.

all the Brassicas done very well,best crop ever of cauli's and summer/winter cabbages.

Broccoli has done really well as have carrots and rocket. Onions & garlic not bad. Plenty of cucumbers but courgette suffered with mold problems.

In the greenhouse - tomatoes took an age to get fruit with many flowers dropping - now doing good with some decent ones now ripening at last.

Chillies - done really well with lots of fruit ripening well.

Sweet peppers have taken forever to form fruit with the constant cold & damp weather & lack of insects causing most flowers to drop despite living in the greenhouse. Finally during the last few weeks of better weather plenty of fruit began forming but nothing has yet ripened. Now cut the tops to put energy in ripening fast before sunlight ceases to fall on the greenhouse (only a matter of a few weeks now tops). Hopefully some ripen otherwise I'll have 10 green peppers from 4 plants - assuming I can keep up with removing caterpillars that keep eating it all.

All in all not bad helped I'm sure with my sheltered city location with greenhouse protection. Good job we had at least some ok summer weather after the appalling start!

Put my winter veg in now so maybe better luck with that if we don't get anything too cold.

After a poor start the veg garden hasn't done too bad. Potatoes were a bit small, lots of slug damage on the brassicas and recently started harvesting sweetcorn only to find most have either started to rot or haven't fertilized properly. Corgettes and lettuce doing well as usual, starting to pull beetroot, looking good too. Raspberries did well, lots of blackberries coming out now, not a bad crop of apples if a bit small, must get on with making cider soon!

First pepper finally began ripening in last day or so - turning yellow. Sadly the rest are some way off with many fruits still quite small. At least today is sunny and I've made the most of the 3 or so hours a day the greenhouse now gets by wiping out the condensation in order to maximise light input.

These cold nights are not helping things I'm sure as peppers just stop at 10c or lower.

Just been watching Gardeners world and there was 2 very good recommendations Tomato 'Cristal' F1 and Potato 'Mayan Gold'

I've tried Cristal, grown in a greenhouse on a South facing wall, in full Sun for pretty much the whole day; it cropped ok but was disappointing taste wise.

Peppers are very slow to ripen down here too, I've grown the long, red sweet peppers and they're still very green, despite being inside a very warm greenhouse.