Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I need help with keeping cats from poo-ing in my veg patch and planter. What works and what is a waste of money. I want to eat my veggies so dont want anything too toxic but don't want cat poo infused beans/peas and rocket thanks

I guess this isn't what you want to read, but as long as you wash the plants thoroughly before bringing them indoors, you're at no risk from poo-borne toxins. You could even think of the poo as fertiliser.  (No, I don't like it either, but there are worse things to find in your garden than poo... )

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Bloody slugs and snails got to over half of my seedlungs before I could do anything about it :(

Posted

Bloody slugs and snails got to over half of my seedlungs before I could do anything about it :(

They're just doing a bit of pre-emptive thinning.... prolly labour-voters :p

Posted
  • Location: Somerset midway between Bath&Wells. Mendips 200m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
  • Location: Somerset midway between Bath&Wells. Mendips 200m asl

I need help with keeping cats from poo-ing in my veg patch and planter. What works and what is a waste of money. I want to eat my veggies so dont want anything too toxic but don't want cat poo infused beans/peas and rocket thanks

As a general rule cats only poo where they can dig and scratch to cover it up. So, I'd recommend a barrier of some sort, leaving no nearby soil to dig in. First choice would be a weed control fabric, you spread it over the surface of the soil, cut a hole and plant through it. If you've already planted then cut the fabric to fit neatly between the rows, abutting as close as possible to the base of the plants. Another plus point to this method is you'd drastically reduce your need for weeding, it also helps to prevent moisture from evaporating so reducing the need to water too - make sure you put it on when the soil is nice and damp.

If that fails, erect barriers of canes around the susceptible plants and wrap with fleece/netting to prevent the cats getting adjacent to the plants.

Posted

Well I'm going to have to start my swedes from seed again. The hail yesterday destroyed the seedlings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

you'd think they could stand a bit of ice being swedes !!! :)..

LOL! I get Swedes and turnips  :cc_confused:  Are swedes turnips? I've given up planting anything unusual. Even though I live in London, the place is still full of plant predators. All my hazelnuts were eaten by squirrels last year. By August there wasn't even one left. Never got to try them :cray: Rats literally removed whole corn cobs off the plant and ran off with them. :cray: My carrots became slug food, the grapes, starling food and the tomatoes went blighty. I do have spinach that is over a foot tall though! :clapping: As for cat poop, put a net over your plants, problem solved.

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

As a general rule cats only poo where they can dig and scratch to cover it up. So, I'd recommend a barrier of some sort, leaving no nearby soil to dig in. First choice would be a weed control fabric, you spread it over the surface of the soil, cut a hole and plant through it. If you've already planted then cut the fabric to fit neatly between the rows, abutting as close as possible to the base of the plants. Another plus point to this method is you'd drastically reduce your need for weeding, it also helps to prevent moisture from evaporating so reducing the need to water too - make sure you put it on when the soil is nice and damp.

If that fails, erect barriers of canes around the susceptible plants and wrap with fleece/netting to prevent the cats getting adjacent to the plants.

I have now erected a cane/netting ensemble around my raised bed, and interrupted the back fence run which Mr cat jaunts along each evening to visit.  The nesting bluetits alerted me to his appraoch at the weekend, by squarking their heads off, and so i saw his path in.

Posted

Lion or tiger poo is quite effective at keeping cats away too .

You can buy some on Amazon, or just order a Lion or Tiger instead. Postage and packaging is free. Handle with care though when opening!  My garden is full of mint, even though I didn't plant any. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Lion or tiger poo is quite effective at keeping cats away too .

Local school are going on a trip to edinburgh Zoo, do you think they would bring me a bag back?

Posted

Really sorry if this has been discussed before, but I need some advice.

Hopefully going to start sorting out our garden for summer next week and I know that in the actual grass area there is at least 3 BIG ant nests maybe more now. Whats more they bite!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get rid of them other then boiling water.... they are noticeable and right by where my little ones slide is. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks. 

Posted

It's best to let them be as they play an important part in the ecosystem. So if there is a nest in a place that isn't troublesome and your little one won't touch it, then leave it. If you destroy a colony, you attract queen ants that make even more nests! If they are in a bad place, Nippon Gel works really well. Boiling water will tend to kill the grass.

Edited by Lauren

Posted

Thanks lauren :)

Posted

Really sorry if this has been discussed before, but I need some advice.

Hopefully going to start sorting out our garden for summer next week and I know that in the actual grass area there is at least 3 BIG ant nests maybe more now. Whats more they bite!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get rid of them other then boiling water.... they are noticeable and right by where my little ones slide is. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks. 

Move house before they eat your children.

Er, possibly just dig them out and take them in a wheelbarrow to a bit of waste ground nearby?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

All my veg is going to be planted out today, And Tomatoes transferred into there final pots.

Posted

Just had the first strawberries a couple of days ago. Delicious. Asparagus going well and stuff in the garden generally taking off.

Sweet corn up. Trying the mini sweetcorn this year as they are meant to be good in stir fries.

Pak choi ready for picking. A fantastic veg that grows so quickly, seed to finished plant in 6 weeks.

Gerkin decided to develop wilt just after planting out, but fortunately I kept a spare. Current one looking healthy with 2 baby gerkins. We pickle ours and use some as fresh cucumber.

Posted

Right, I'm getting really annoyed now.

There is a pest that kills every single fruit or tree I try to grow (apart from tomatoes) within days. The leaves go yellow/brown and snap off the stem dries out and goes brittle. The only thing I have noticed is some sort of cobweb stuff on the plans occasionally and a sticky substance on the leaves, but the leaves have not been eaten. I have tried everything, all the bug sprays, natural remedies and still it kills them. Does anyone know what it is? I've never actually seen the culprit, just the after effects.

Posted

Right, I'm getting really annoyed now.

There is a pest that kills every single fruit or tree I try to grow (apart from tomatoes) within days. The leaves go yellow/brown and snap off the stem dries out and goes brittle. The only thing I have noticed is some sort of cobweb stuff on the plans occasionally and a sticky substance on the leaves, but the leaves have not been eaten. I have tried everything, all the bug sprays, natural remedies and still it kills them. Does anyone know what it is? I've never actually seen the culprit, just the after effects.

If they are in the ground and not in pots, then you could have ants in the soil nesting. They can damage the roots of most plants.

Posted

They are in pots. It's driving me crazy, every single time the plant gets bigger than half a foot, it's dead within days by the same bloody thing.

Just potentially lost two topiary bay trees to it.

Posted

They are in pots. It's driving me crazy, every single time the plant gets bigger than half a foot, it's dead within days by the same bloody thing.

It sounds like you may have Bay Suckers, does the damage look anything like this > https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=505

Edited by lassie23

Posted

You can buy some on Amazon, or just order a Lion or Tiger instead. Postage and packaging is free. Handle with care though when opening!  My garden is full of mint, even though I didn't plant any. :cc_confused:

I think some zoos will give it for free. Marwell near Winchester used to. Very smelly apparently, but makes fantastic manure.

Posted

I know you have posted about this before Lauren, but it's clearly very frustrating. Do you have a good garden centre near you? Somewhere like a Wyevale who have trained horticulturists. If you take an affected plant along they will help identify the culprit and offer a possible solution. I have done this once, and they were very helpful.

Posted

Been away this week and I see that the runners have been frosted at some point in the last few days. This is the first time I've seen this - ever. Mad, especially the last week in May and so close to the sea.  They'll recover but probably knocked back by a couple of weeks.  Also had about a fifth of the little kales die - prob cabbage root fly, although I'm surprised they've been around in this weather.  Good cabbage growth at last :D and had a good crop of radishes too.

Posted

This rain is certainly doing the garden good today, With some great growing weather on the way next week. All my Veg is in and Tomatoes planted in tubs in the conservatory under the windows and my Hanging baskets are ready and waiting. The Clematis looks wonderful at this time of year trailing up an old tree root..

post-12319-0-60648500-1433058665_thumb.j

post-12319-0-33564700-1433058762_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime