Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'm not a tomato expert, but I do grow them every year. It sounds like yours are too cold. Considering you live in Scotland, they should really be either inside or in a greenhouse or polytunnel. I keep mine inside the house until they look big and strong in 3 inch pots - about 6 inches tall I guess. Only then do I put them into the polytunnel. Your porch maybe sheltered but I expect it is too cold. You could always try bringing them indoors onto a sunny windowsill for a week or so.

To begin with they were in my living room on a bright but not sunny window sill, temp not below about 13C at night. Then they went into the porch in full sun, really warm, prob too much for them cos some leaves just dried up and went white and fell off. So back in the living room. Then yesterday back in the porch, a miserable grey day and prob 13C all day in there and when I checked at the end of the day, they looked even worse. So now back in the living room!! But they're rubbish, spindly weedy 12cm tall after a month of worry.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

To begin with they were in my living room on a bright but not sunny window sill, temp not below about 13C at night. Then they went into the porch in full sun, really warm, prob too much for them cos some leaves just dried up and went white and fell off. So back in the living room. Then yesterday back in the porch, a miserable grey day and prob 13C all day in there and when I checked at the end of the day, they looked even worse. So now back in the living room!! But they're rubbish, spindly weedy 12cm tall after a month of worry.

Could it be the compost? Have you sucessfully grown other seedlings in it this year?

Posted

Here's a picture of some of the Reading supersnails (cochlea gigantia Readingensis) in action...I've added another band of copper tape bridging the other two now, and will see what happens. Wish me luck!

post-5431-0-97575700-1430848533_thumb.jp

Edited by Stargazer
    • Like 1

Posted

Could it be the compost? Have you sucessfully grown other seedlings in it this year?

All the beans and greens love it.  But I do see that young tomato plants I buy from the nursery are in much more fibrous stuff rather than the JI seed compost.

Here's a picture of some of the Reading supersnails (cochlea gigantia Readingensis) in action...I've added another band of copper tape bridging the other two now, and will see what happens. Wish me luck!

attachicon.gifsnails1.jpg

Something else I tried years ago and worked although I don't really recommend it was thick grey machine grease. I had a tin of it left over from years back and it got put to good use. However it was unsightly and a bugger to clean off.

Posted

attachicon.gifsnails1.jpg

They are rather formidable looking. I don't think I've ever found a snail that large in my garden here. Let's hope the extra copper helps. Good luck!

Posted

HC john Innes compost should be fine. I've grown tons of tomatoes in it. I am at a bit of a loss as to why your toms are struggling.

Posted

They are rather formidable looking. I don't think I've ever found a snail that large in my garden here. Let's hope the extra copper helps. Good luck!

Hmm, I wonder why they're that big...oh yes, laburnum leaves must be very rich in snail nutrients! If laburnum wasn't so poisonous I think we could start a snail farm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Anyone else have problems with things like chard, spinach, coriander, rocket or spring onions? 

I start them from seed and mostly I eventually get germination but then the plants stay small for a very long time - or just never seem to grow. Also the chard & spinach often get affected by leaf miner insects too, especially as it gets warmer.

Tomatoes, chillies, peppers, carrots & even leafy pak choi I can start very easily from seed and they grow really well but salad leafy stuff continues to cause me problems.

I keep them moist but not soaking and they get tons of sunlight, the pots drain fairly well and i've tried to lighten the compost with perlite type stuff. I feed everything with organic fertiliser - fish, blood & bone for the soil and occasional foliar fed seaweed spray.

Posted

I wonder whether you could find where the snails are coming from and deal with them at source. I guess they may be coming from a neighbour's garden so that's not very helpful..

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Hard to know where the snails are from - 2012 was definitely the year of the slug, but the snails started appearing all over our garden last year (often 100+ after rain), which was when they started climbing the laburnum en masse. First impression is that most snails are now being put off by the wider copper band (about 75mm) but a few are still getting past. Watched one curl up and turn back so they're doing something. Let's see...

Posted

Hard to know where the snails are from - 2012 was definitely the year of the slug, but the snails started appearing all over our garden last year (often 100+ after rain), which was when they started climbing the laburnum en masse. First impression is that most snails are now being put off by the wider copper band (about 75mm) but a few are still getting past. Watched one curl up and turn back so they're doing something. Let's see...

Perhaps embed slug/snail bait in the bark too...  Some research into their breeding habits and habitats recommended!

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone else have problems with things like chard, spinach, coriander, rocket or spring onions? 

I start them from seed and mostly I eventually get germination but then the plants stay small for a very long time - or just never seem to grow. Also the chard & spinach often get affected by leaf miner insects too, especially as it gets warmer.

Tomatoes, chillies, peppers, carrots & even leafy pak choi I can start very easily from seed and they grow really well but salad leafy stuff continues to cause me problems.

I keep them moist but not soaking and they get tons of sunlight, the pots drain fairly well and i've tried to lighten the compost with perlite type stuff. I feed everything with organic fertiliser - fish, blood & bone for the soil and occasional foliar fed seaweed spray.

Sounds like you are doing everything right, so a bit of a mystery. I do find spring onions difficult and mine will germinate and stay small for ages, but they do eventually grow properly. Are you being impatient? The only time I find stuff like leafy salad and rocket grows slowly is when it is too hot. Not necessarily too dry, just hot and too much sun.

A tip for coriander is to semi-crush the seed in a pastel and mortar before planting. Improves the germination rate and the final yield.

Posted

Took a bit of a chance last night and didn't cover frost-sensitive plants. Low was 2.1C at around 4am, so got away with it! Going out for some grass cutting now before the rains come tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I planted 10 swede seeds. I now have about 20 seedlings. Is that normal? I thought it was one per seed?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just topped my lawns off, Was going to plant out last weekend but going to leave it until the start of June.. They should just last till then without the hastle of repoting. Tomatoes are doing well, I've sweet babys this time.

post-12319-0-68533700-1431534545_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I planted 10 swede seeds. I now have about 20 seedlings. Is that normal? I thought it was one per seed?

I don't count mine, but I always seem to get more than I thought I would, and they often seem very close to each other. Maybe each seed does produce 2 seedlings?

Posted

Just topped my lawns off, Was going to plant out last weekend but going to leave it until the start of June.. They should just last till then without the hastle of repoting. Tomatoes are doing well, I've sweet babys this time.

Very nice selection TM. What are you growing in the middle pots, celery or coriander, or perhaps somethign else? Are those leeks or onions in the lower right corner?

My strawberries in thepolytunnel are turning red, so I'm hoping to have a few by the weekend. Seems incongruous have red strawberries and potential frosts.

Edited by picog

Posted

I don't count mine, but I always seem to get more than I thought I would, and they often seem very close to each other. Maybe each seed does produce 2 seedlings?

I'm going to have to thin them out, I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I need help with keeping cats from poo-ing in my veg patch and planter. What works and what is a waste of money. I want to eat my veggies so dont want anything too toxic but don't want cat poo infused beans/peas and rocket thanks

Posted

I need help with keeping cats from poo-ing in my veg patch and planter. What works and what is a waste of money. I want to eat my veggies so dont want anything too toxic but don't want cat poo infused beans/peas and rocket thanks

Next door have got one of those motion sensor water sprayers. It gets my neighbour everytime he walks passed it. :laugh: 

• Like 2

Posted

Very nice selection TM. What are you growing in the middle pots, celery or coriander, or perhaps somethign else? Are those leeks or onions in the lower right corner?

My strawberries in thepolytunnel are turning red, so I'm hoping to have a few by the weekend. Seems incongruous have red strawberries and potential frosts.

Yes coriander and spring onions there, I moved my strawberrys last week to a better position.

Posted

Try a dummy bird of prey on a cane and move it about from week to week around the garden, They will think twice then.

Posted

Used teabags work well, cats HATE the smell of tannin. Growing onions around the border of your plants, cats hate the smell too. You can get those noise sensors that play a high pitched noise that cats don't like.

This is a weird thing but it works really well....cats don't like to poo in territory they consider theirs (exceptions to the rule, obviously). If you make friends with the cat and a friendly towards it, they begin to think of your garden as theirs and tend to stop pooing in it.

• Like 1

Posted

Cats will crap where they want, best just put up with it.  We have 2 cats that keep trying to destroy my onion patch and I just replant them after they've been dug up.  A small price to pay - if they're your own cats!! If they're someone else's, spraying them hard with a garden hose seems to make them run the fastest. They really hate it when you follow them out into the street with it.

Cat wee is excellent tomato compost, we discovered a few years ago. Unfortunately they grew out of using growbags when still quite young.

• Like 1

Posted

About this time of year, I start my nocturnal snail hunts when the garden's wet.  I went out just now and there's hardly any snail movement at all - it's just far too cold! 5C, windy and spits and spots... Pfff, brassicas and broad beans are growing a bit but other stuff has stalled...