Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

With a sharp knife/razor, cut off from the tip 3 set's of leaves back just above the 4th and dip the fresh cut into rooting powder then push into some good compost about an inch, keep it warm (around 17/18c) with plenty of light and dont let the compost dry out, but dont swomp it!

Hope that helps it worked for me Posted Image

This warmer weather should help boost things in the garden ! My runners are really in need of some sun now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Everything in my garden is loving this fantastic weather. After a slow start it's all got cracking properly now.

Just got to keep up with the watering now...

Question for anyone who knows more about it than me...

Fertilisers - how much, how often and when...

I'm not going completely organic but have been using a general organic fertiliser in the form of smelly pellets that I've worked into the soil.

Tomatoes - use Tomerite when once flowing starts every week. Do they need any before flowering? - Only feed once the little tomatoe is showing

Peppers - Are they as heavy feeders as tomatoes? I know too much nitrogen will encourage foliage rather than fruit. Is Tomerite stuff ok for peppers? - Not sure

Carrots/onions/shallots/spring onions/garlic - Worked that organic fert into their compost before planting. Do they need anything else through the season or is that enough? - Give carrots and spring onions a feed once a week, I have never fead normal onions and never had bad crops

Spinach/rocket - Seems like the sort of stuff that will get used up before any ferts are need - true? - Not sure

Parsley/coriander/mint/tarragon - Got some herb food from Baby Bio for these but not fed them yet. - Not sure

Broccoli - A heavy feeder I read. Soil had that organic stuff worked in and will feed with balanced chemical fertiliser through the season. - Not sure

Beetroot - Don't think it needs much beyond the organic pellets I worked in first. - Feed once a week

Help appreciated as information contrasts a lot on the 'net!

Answers in Red

Edited by Gavin D

my tomatoes are way behind this year, i put them in the ground yesterday, they might be ready in time for halloween, i need a hot summer now

beans, cucumbers, and lettuce are small as well but they grow quicker than tomatoes

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Cheers Gavin.

My spinach has suddenly gone all yellow and looking very sickly. Not sure if the sudden change to very warm conditions after such a long cold & wet period has shocked it. Bit disappointing really.

Dig one up and look at the roots.

You may find them under attack from tiny white grubs, or could be club root too.

You could use a soil insecticide, or hope they grow away from it.

Most brassicas are prone to so many things eating them I never even try to grow them now

Finally, GROWING WEATHER. My Tomentosa (foxglove, empress trees) are now outside soaking up the sun with their massive 18" diameter leaves. Colorado blue spruce, Korean Firs, cedar of Lebenon and white spruce seedlings all doing really well.

Tomatoes are coming on grand now lots of flowers on them most are 3ft plus in hight, potatoes are looking good, strawberrys are late but they are well in flower now, all in all this weather is superb for the plants more please

I have decided to become much more self sufficient once i am back in employment, growing a variety of common vegetables. I have also decided that i will grow a few flowers (where is the cheapest place for bulbs).

Everything definitely took a leap during the great two weeks of weather. Think it'll grind to a halt the next few days under such sunless skies coupled with such low temperatures. Here we go again...

My garden in now doomed, i just hope something survives when the water resedes Posted Image

Things are late this year but were getting there slowly, the early potatoes are now starting to flower, beetroot is starting to fatten out, lettuce is ready and is been picked, carrots are only 2 or 3 weeks away and the spring onions arn't far behind

Tomatoes are behind but they are getting there fruit is now starting to form

The Apple tree has nothing on it, the same can be said for the Plum tree

The Strawberrys several weeks behind on last year, this time last year they were ready

Got some small peppers and chillies coming through now and some tomatoes too.

Been harvesting courgettes, strawberries, spinach, coriander, rocket and some small spring onions so far.

Looks good but the slug & snail problems are quite severe this year. Resorted to pellets in the end (which I didn't want to do) as I'm loosing too many plants! Really need some hot sunshine to get them in check and ripen everything properly.

My sweetcorn is finding it hard to grow this year due to poor weather. I have now had to bring them indoors and give them warmth, bloody weather!

Started digging over the garden for Spring which is only 2 months away! Hooray! Hope to get 450 square metres into production this year so got plenty to keep me busy.

I have given up on my vedge patch.

It has once again flooded for the 2nd time. I live on a hill, but my patch is the lowest point in the garden and is now standing in 3 inch of water....

Raised beds next year me thinks, and level the garden off a little.

Oh well.... Roll on Winter Posted Image

Broccoli, carrots (so far), strawberries, herbs have done very well...

Tomatoes, peppers & chillies have formed large plants with plenty of foliage but fruit production is so far very low indeed. Getting a fair few flowers but many are just dropping off unpollinated due to the lack of insects. I've taken to hand pollinating to push things on a bit. The strawberries have suffered similarly with many flowers not forming fruits - although the ones that did were big & tasty.

Spring onions have done terribly and are struggling to grow and keep going yellow. Had to bring them under shelter as I think they're water logged.

Beetroots and spinach are tiny and leggy due to low sunlight levels.

Garlic is ready but quite small. Onions leaves collapsed due to rain & wind with many rotting in the constant damp conditions but I think are still growing and doing ok.

Overall only cool weather crops that don't mind not much sun have done well but anything needing pollination or any decent volume of sunshine has done badly.

I picked a really bad year to start gardening seriously!

Some help identifying this plant would be appreciated.

post-12275-0-77080200-1342026631_thumb.j

Some help identifying this plant would be appreciated.

Looks like Senecio Grayi, a good hardy shrub but I'm not keen on it myself.

My veg garden seems to be finally producing things, lots of lettuce, mangtouts, potatoes are almost there, cougettes have been suffering a bit, constant heavy rain kept knocking the flowers off but finally some fruit forming, It's been a rubbish year for growing food. Just need some decent sunshine!

I have given up on my vedge patch.

It has once again flooded for the 2nd time. I live on a hill, but my patch is the lowest point in the garden and is now standing in 3 inch of water....

Raised beds next year me thinks, and level the garden off a little.

Oh well.... Roll on Winter Posted Image

Or watercress?

Senecio which is related to groundsel.

You can see that in the flowers and the seed which have dandelion-style parachutes.

It rarely if ever grows from seed though.

If you like it best take a cutting or two (now is a good time) as they are short-lived and not hardy here.

i used to root 2 or 3 in a cold greenhouse now so I had it in reserve but even those died in December 2010.

In any case older plants get a bit messy IMO and look best in year 2 and 3.

It's been a brilliant year for Spinach, normally it has a tendency to go to seed the instant a ray of Sunshine hits it - not too many of those around here this year.

Disastrous year for Strawberries, they were looking brilliant, covered in fruit, then just when it was on the brink of ripening, the damn Squirrels has the lot. Ditto the Apricots, the tree was stripped over night, despite being in a greenhouse - they must have smelt them!

Whereas I've done really well for strawberries (mine are out of reach & netted!) but terrible for spinach but then that's probably down to the slugs!