Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Anyone else struggling with stuff growing this year, all my tomato plants are tiny. I have grown them from seed in a greenhouse, but have not provided them with any extra heat.

They have new leaf on them, but are only 3" tall at the moment, hoping with a bit of warm weather they will shoot up!

Same here. Only the spuds and onions are doing really well. everything else really small, but it will all catch up. Although it is hard, you need to be patient!

Mine are still inside on a sunny* window ledge.

* Note - we've had little to no sun.

One has shot up (nursery bought) but other two (from seed) are much smaller. They grow really fast once they light & warmth are there so I think they'll be ok assuming the weather ever changes.

It seems anything from bulb that has its own energy supply is doing ok - but that from seed is struggling as there is littler energy to power them.

Anyone else struggling with stuff growing this year, all my tomato plants are tiny. I have grown them from seed in a greenhouse, but have not provided them with any extra heat.

They have new leaf on them, but are only 3" tall at the moment, hoping with a bit of warm weather they will shoot up!

Me is, this cool weather is driving me utterly potty. My Tomentosa (foxglove trees) should be out now but I'm stuck with them indoors. I tried putting them outside last week and I lost 3 of them. Problem is these trees are among the fastest growing on the planet (upto 18Ft per year) and I'm running out of space.

I grow lots of spruce, firs, pines and although they are damn hardy plants It's near impossible to start germination at the moment, they need decent warmth to kick off. 6 weeks after germination they can tolerate -6c! I overwintered a batch of colorado blue spruce seedlings sown in August 2011 and lost none dispite them been exposed to temps of -12C this winter gone. Looks like I'm going to be yet another week behind with the onset of more cold conditions come the weekend Posted Image

I agree, the colder than normal spring is stunting growth, but as you say, the summer bulbs I planted last year are doing really well.

tomatoes take a long tome to grow, last year mine were very big even in mid april but they still took ages to ripen as it was cloudy here for most of the summer and i didn't get any till the end of september

this year they are pretty small still, but once we get some humid weather they will shoot up very quick, looks like it could warm up a bit at night next week, hopefully that is the end of the cold and i can put my crops outside

If you feed Toms every week (once the first flowers are open) with a purpose made fertiliser like Tomerite, they ripen quicker and earlier.

hi fellow gardeners Posted Image

things looking ok in my garden....very green and a bit slow to grow but all healthy and quietly waiting for some warmth!

the only casualty being my virginia creeper whose buds all died in the frost at beginning of the month but its shooting from the base now so not dead woop!

Thought i'd share a couple of pics - the spirea and bleeding heart certainly the best of my spring plants this year

post-15445-0-33307300-1336040285_thumb.j

post-15445-0-73256200-1336040315_thumb.j

Given the propensity of the cold we are seeing, it might be a green, rather the colourful garden we see this year. With the unlikely continuation of air frosts into places that normally leave them behind in April, it might be a very short flowering season for bedding plants and tender perennial/patio plants this year, as it may be they cannot be planted maybe a month or two after they normally get planted.

This is going to have a knock on affect on nurseries too who may not be able to sell stock as well this year, which given the economical situation might well hit these nurseries very hard. Bad times ahead I suspect if you are a gardener or nursery manager; they will have to adapt big time. Becoming a fern nursery might be a better idea.

I sell plants for a living and yes it is a difficult at the moment as people aren't buying for obvious reasons. Plants that should of been sold by now are starting to look tired and many of them need some warmth to cheer them up. I'm only a small scale seller but I know the bigger sellers are struggling. The trouble is we have had a run of fairly mild springs and plants are being brought on earlier and earlier but this weather reminds us what spring 'used' to be like.

I suspect if it doesn't warm up fairly quickly bedding plants will be at rock bottom prices to shift them (glad I only do perennials!) so if you're planning on filling your garden with bedding I'd hang on a bit and wait and see what happens to prices.

GFS is showing temperatures down to -3c both Sunday and Monday mornings.

Protect your plants!

Going to bring my peppers inside those nights I think.

Question for anyone who knows more about it than me...

Fertilisers - how much, how often and when...

I'm not going completely organic but have been using a general organic fertiliser in the form of smelly pellets that I've worked into the soil.

Tomatoes - use Tomerite when once flowing starts every week. Do they need any before flowering?

Peppers - Are they as heavy feeders as tomatoes? I know too much nitrogen will encourage foliage rather than fruit. Is Tomerite stuff ok for peppers?

Carrots/onions/shallots/spring onions/garlic - Worked that organic fert into their compost before planting. Do they need anything else through the season or is that enough?

Spinach/rocket - Seems like the sort of stuff that will get used up before any ferts are need - true?

Parsley/coriander/mint/tarragon - Got some herb food from Baby Bio for these but not fed them yet.

Broccoli - A heavy feeder I read. Soil had that organic stuff worked in and will feed with balanced chemical fertiliser through the season.

Beetroot - Don't think it needs much beyond the organic pellets I worked in first.

Help appreciated as information contrasts a lot on the 'net!

I carn't help you on fert Bott, but im shure if it's organic the plant will only use what it needs so you can never over feed them. But feed less nitrogen when in fruit or flower.... thats my 10p worth.

It's going to be v cold tonight, im glad i never planted anything outside yet. Even on the window sill they dont realy look happy, as there's just not the sunlight for them to get enough energy to produce strong roots at the moment. i have even reverted to putting them on the living room table at night where its warmer than the w/sill and leaving the light on ! with the curtains shut i bet the sill drops to 6/7c at night.

Edited by Polar Maritime

GFS is showing temperatures down to -3c both Sunday and Monday mornings.

Protect your plants!

Going to bring my peppers inside those nights I think.

Fri night into sat I got down to -3.7c sat into sun down to -4.4c! blummin eck, I've had enough man. Just what a small scale seller like me DOES'NT need.

3.4c was our lowest on Fri night so prob wasn't worth me taking my peppers in from the greenhouse really.

Rarely gets that cold here especially as it always seems to be cloudy!

Well plenty more rain yesterday & more to come over the next couple of day's. If only it warmed up a bit then it would be great growing conditions.

I sowed some dwarf runner beans early April & they have not come up yet. Does anyone think I should sow some more?

Edited by SteveB

Well plenty more rain yesterday & more to come over the next couple of day's. If only it warmed up a bit then it would be great growing conditions.

I sowed some dwarf runner beans early April & they have not come up yet. Does anyone think I should sow some more?

It could be an idea either as insurance or to get a later crop once the first lot have finished producing. If you've got spare ones to sow it can't do any harm, given that they're much more likely to germinate this year than next.

Thanks Crepuscular ray, I do have spare so i'll sow some more.

That was probably on the early side even in the south for outside.

You could dig down and see if the seed has sprouted a root or looks rotten or eaten by slugs (or *missing*!)

There's plenty of time to sow again anyway.

A good trick with runner beans where you often only have a few plants is to invert a jam jar or cut off drink bottle over the spot you sowed them.

It will increase the soil temp quite a bit and stop things eating them as they first emerge.

Birds will often tug that first little shoot almost out of curiosity.

It also means you can hoe any weed seedlings without worrying you will catch an emerging bean.

Good call 4wd, I have some more seeds, so I will sow again this weekend & keep them covered.

I was always told that if it's too cold to put leave your bare bum on the soil for more than short while then it's too cold for seeds to germinate. Not that I've tried it as my allotment is a bit exposed lol! I always bring everything on that is fussy about the cold, i.e french/runner beans and courgettes/squashes etc indoors and plant out when they are established. Spinach, beetroot, radishes, turnips, peas are ok even if your bum is freezing!

Might have had a bit of a growth spurt in the garden during the last few days. Actually got some asparagus — miles behind compared with last year. My miniature parsnips are coming along now, they have two proper leaves! Only the rhubarb, spuds and onions are doing well so far. Carrots are struggling, and mange tout just through.

Virtually no plums or damsons, and no apricots — all destroyed by late frosts. Cherries might be OK — all will become clear over the next few days.

Things have got going a bit here. Put out all my tomatoes and peppers into the greenhouse and look ok so far.

Thinned carrots out tonight before it rained - no good having them growing right into each other!

At least we're getting sun now even if it isn't that warm.

I have finally planted my runner beans today, all 30 of them have been on window sill's for weeks but things hopefully should start to get a little warmer now....

i planted my french beans last week but they look half dead now, im not sure if its the cold that has affected them, or because they have been moved and the roots are not getting adjusted to the soil ??

it will be about 2c here tomorrow night will they die or will they survive that temp

Question, i have a Rose in the back garden which rarely flowers but does grow (probably because it is in the shade all day and a dry area being right next to a fully grown silver birch tree. I have a tub indoors which i grew a Marigold flower in (only finally died a month or two so flowered for about 9 months) and i would now like to grow a rose.

My question therefore is how i can grow a rose from my current rose (do i just chop a branch off ect..).