Sign in to follow this  
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Dam lily bettles have struck again larvae everywhere, gutted I thought I was doing really well this year

How's your chillis doing Bott's? Looks like J was right (ta J) about low temps causing flower drop..... flowers on mine were about to open at the start of this v.warm spell and so far so good, there's no sign of weakness in the stalks and there's hundreds of them.I knew this warm weather had to be good for something !

One is producing chillies nicely now with them growing very fast over the weekend. The other varieties & sweet peppers are still forming flowers with no fruit yet. I've picked off all the dead flower heads off all the plants - there were lots of 'em which prob were dropped before I kept the greenhouse warm. Closed it and got heater ready for tonight as temps are falling fast.

Hopefully I'll start to see them holding onto all newly formed flowers - pesky things are so picky they are!

First ' Supersweet' toms in the greenhouse are ripening nicely now. I was wondering why we hadn't had any really red ones yet then today I caught significant other nicking them!

I've six different varieties this year, mostly old favorites but I'm also trying 'Roma', Itallian plum type. Doing quite well with the much warmer and brighter weather than last year.

So much growth this past week! One chilli plant has gone from a few flowers to large green chillies in just 1 week. Just wish the others would catch it up! Do hope we keep this decent weather for most of summer - we could be looking at some very good yields indeed.

Found some of my tomatoes had been partly nibbled at - not sure by what. Strangely I also see small holes dug in the compost in the greenhouse - any idea what that would be? I'd be surprised to get many larger animals getting into my enclosed courtyard.

Ah yes we had a mouse in the roof all through winter/spring (hiding from cold I guess as he's gone now) and I have put fish, blood & bone fert in a lot of the compost. As long as they don't damage the place then fine...

So much growth this past week! One chilli plant has gone from a few flowers to large green chillies in just 1 week. Just wish the others would catch it up!

You're about a week in front of me, Botts! My plants are covered in flowers but no chillis yet. I'm taking J's advice and I've made a pollination brush out of a cocktail stick and a finely sculpted piece of fluff from one of our moggies - keeping me busy doing the 'plant husbandry' thing, I can tell you! Apart from two Scotch Bonnets I don't know what type of chilli they are; I got the seeds out of some anonymous supermarket ones. I wanted to grow some Trinidad Scorpions but left it too late, but there's always next year... Did some Naga Ghost Peppers a coupla years back and they grew no bigger than grapes, but packed the punch of several habaneros.

Wicked weather for spruce and fir seedlings this year. I'm having high yeilds with cedar of lebanon, cunninghamia, serbian spruce, weeping pine and korean fir.

I've only got chillies on my cayenne plant - same goes for a plant we have here in the office - from same seed pack (free off a magazine!).

I've got Naga and a mild one (forgotten name!).

Naga hasn't got flowers yet and mild one has a few flowers. 

Same goes for sweet peppers - just a few flowers so far. Need to hurry up as they take ages to ripen esp under rapidly dwindling September sun!

post-6280-0-95006200-1373650852_thumb.jpThe Pergola which went up in April/May and the flower border which went alongside are now in full swing, ready for the wedding tomorrow. Despite Mice eating two lots of seeds, a Rat eating the third sowing and the endless battle with Slugs and Woodlice, it hasn't turned out too bad considering it was only planted 6-8 weeks ago.

The new gate between the veg garden and the pergola went up today, the Swan is the family's crest. The rest are shots of some of the rest of the garden and the marquees for the wedding - the barrels are part of the wedding.

post-6280-0-71924800-1373649883_thumb.jppost-6280-0-09980800-1373649922_thumb.jppost-6280-0-69415200-1373649979_thumb.jppost-6280-0-22593000-1373650091_thumb.jp

.post-6280-0-58544300-1373650315_thumb.jppost-6280-0-33911700-1373650366_thumb.jppost-6280-0-25139700-1373650421_thumb.jppost-6280-0-54304000-1373650460_thumb.jppost-6280-0-23377400-1373650499_thumb.jppost-6280-0-60709000-1373650552_thumb.jppost-6280-0-89655300-1373650624_thumb.jppost-6280-0-73636700-1373650676_thumb.jp

That's lovely work, J...Posted Image

All I have to report, is that my lupins are flowering a year early...

Looking lovely! Wish I had that space!

Just harvested my second early potatoes - nice big bowl full! That's freed up a little space so potted on some chillies & peppers into bigger pots.

Also been harvesting mizuna & pak choi seeds for planting shortly. Whether they'll grow or not I dunno... 

Thanks folks. A whole weekend spent partying in it meant that for once, I got to enjoy it and saw it through other people's eyes. As it's work, I don't see the good points, as I walk round I only notice the things which need doing, or plants which could have done better.

Most of my plants are wiltering and dying now.

Sunflowers are doing good but otherwise, with my shift patterns and overnight stays away I've had lately, combined with a partner who hates gardening, my ability to water my plants as frequently as they need to be in this weather is small.

hi all

everything growing very well.

just a quick question about the tomatoes.  they are growing well and plenty of flowers but i'm noticing a lot of the flowers dying off and not producing fruit.  in fact i have loads of flowers but no fruit.  i'm sure by now i usually have loads of small tomatoes.  what stage are your outdoor tomatoes at? i there anything i can do to encourage more fruit? feeding i guess? im feeding once or twice a week currently (and used miracle gro soil which was meant to have "feed for 3 months").  this is the first time i've grown veg in a raised bed, i usually just grow in a grow bag.  i hope its not the soil that is slowing them down.  i used a couple bags of manure at the bottom and topped it up with the miracle gro soil - have i missed something? cucumber are equally slow at fruiting.  i picked one last week and usually the other smaller ones would then start to grow, but the others promptly died off after i picked one. grow bags are so much simpler!

if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it :)

I suspect it's a lack of water. Also, if they are suffering from the heat and being a bit dry, hold off on the feeding a bit until they've picked up,

My plants have tons of big tomatoes on them now - I'm watering every 2-3 days though to keep them moist.

Stunned by how fast the chillies have grown - from flowers to massive green chillies in two weeks - just shows how much they're enjoying this wonderful weather!

Enjoying some excellent harvests this week, the warmth of recent days/weeks has resulted in a massive growth surge! Had some first early spuds, Arran Pilot, where were ok but the Charlottes have been superb. Courgettes, french beans, broad beans and loads of lettuce, toms in polytunnel 6 foot high now with loads of fruit. Very exciting :)

Wicked weather for spruce and fir seedlings this year. I'm having high yeilds with cedar of lebanon, cunninghamia, serbian spruce, weeping pine and korean fir.

Do u sell any of these on out of interest?

Veg is growing like mad in this weather but doesn't half need some watering. Water butt ran out a long time ago, resorting to a big trug carted down in the wheelbarrow, veg plot is too far for a hosepipe. Down there every night now, may have to do two trips tomorrow, some cracks in the soil are almost big enough to fit a fist in!

It's not been this dry for a long time, such a contrast to last year.

Got a lot of pics here. Need help identifying if they look okay and if so what they need...

post-1806-0-96634300-1374607991_thumb.jp post-1806-0-44022900-1374607668_thumb.jp

These are of a Rodedendrum cut down before my parents moved.

1) Something looks to be eating its leaves?

2) What type is it, when will it flower and what coulor? Also how tall will it get?

post-1806-0-24188900-1374607916_thumb.jp

Picture 2 is just a pretty butterfly.

post-1806-0-06625100-1374607905_thumb.jp

What is in picture 3, there's a couple in close proximity?

post-1806-0-37942200-1374607884_thumb.jppost-1806-0-75797500-1374607604_thumb.jppost-1806-0-63721700-1374607570_thumb.jp

What is in pictures 4, 5 and 6? Will number 5 flower?

post-1806-0-50263900-1374607530_thumb.jp

Geranium has shot up since i started to water it during the hot spell, does it look okay?

post-1806-0-62509800-1374607502_thumb.jp

Is this normal holly? Are the berries bad for my dogs (it's the next doors fence?)

Edited by summer blizzard

Here's a question: why are my garlic and shallot plants still growing? When are the tops supposed to dry up?Posted Image 

Got a lot of pics here. Need help identifying if they look okay and if so what they need...

Posted ImageWP_20130723_002.jpg Posted ImageWP_20130723_003.jpg

These are of a Rodedendrum cut down before my parents moved.

1) Something looks to be eating its leaves?

2) What type is it, when will it flower and what coulor? Also how tall will it get?

Posted ImageWP_20130720_001.jpg

Picture 2 is just a pretty butterfly.

Posted ImageWP_20130718_001.jpg

What is in picture 3, there's a couple in close proximity?

Posted ImageWP_20130715_001.jpgPosted ImageWP_20130723_0041.jpgPosted ImageWP_20130723_0061.jpg

What is in pictures 4, 5 and 6? Will number 5 flower?

Posted ImageWP_20130723_005.jpg

Geranium has shot up since i started to water it during the hot spell, does it look okay?

Posted ImageWP_20130723_007.jpg

Is this normal holly? Are the berries bad for my dogs (it's the next doors fence?)

Rhododendron - no idea of species, impossible to tell without flowers. You'll have to wait until Spring, April/May time. Probably Thrips or Aphids causing leaf damage, spray if you want to or wash with soapy water.

Picture 3 looks to be Laurel - could either be suckers growing from roots left in after an old bush was cleared or more likely, a seedling courtesy of bird poo containing seed.

Picture 4 is a Hebe.

Picture 5, too small to tell from small pic, when I click on it, it's quite fuzzy in large format - guessing from what I can see, that it's a Pachysandra. Generally a ground cover plant, small white flowers, grown mainly for it's foliage and weed suppressing ability.

Picture 6 - Hydrangea

Geranium looks fine.

Yes, it's normal Holly. Yes, the berries are toxic to dogs but they're also very unpleasant to eat so unlikely to do more than taste and spit. I've grown Holly and had dogs for years, never had any problem. To be honest, it's Spring before the berries drop and could possibly pose a temptation to dogs, they rarely get a chance to get beyond Christmas before the birds eat them.

Here's a question: why are my garlic and shallot plants still growing? When are the tops supposed to dry up?Posted Image 

August - ish, depending upon weather.

A number of my garlic plants have gone brown so up they've come. Tasty although not that big.

Harvested my main crop tatters - massive bowl of big potatoes!

Now got tomatoes ripe - well ahead of last year I am. 

Peppers now setting fruit, one chilli plant laden with (unripe) fruit and others attempting to catch up. First flower on my megahot Norfolk Naga chilli plant...

Long may this warm and frequently sunny weather continue - been so so much better than last year.

What a fabulous summer this has turned out to be

• [*]I have had 8 cucumbers off 3 plants in the past week (well ahead of last year) [*]First few tomatoes are starting to ripen (well ahead of last year) [*]An abundance of strawberries (8 jars of Jam done plus lots of strawberries and cream) [*]Onions are almost ready to be lifted to dry out (smaller ones are in this process now) [*]Main crop of potatoes lifted a big healthy crop (gorgeous for homemade chips)

The prolonged warmth, low rainfall and the abundance of sunshine has done wonders this summer long may it continue

Edited by Summer Sun

hi all

veg doing great here now after a slow start they finally decided to notice the lovely weather and fruiting rapidly now Posted Image tomatoes still small i think its time to pinch off tops and let them grow bigger and ripen.

just wondering about my clematis.  Each yeah they grow well but start to get yellow/brown leaves from the bottom moving up the plant. i was just wondering if i should feed them with anything? they just look like they are exhausted from all the growing and flowering.  i was thinking to give them some liquid seaweed? but then someone said dont feed them when they are flowering so i'm not sure.  is it normal for them to brown off from the bottom? i have been watering a lot so i doubt its a lack of water.

post-15445-0-20109500-1374757544_thumb.j

also, if anyone recalls the saga of my kiftsgate rose? heres the original post: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73128-net-weather-gardening-thread/?p=2679014

it was all looking good, shoots all over from the base all the way to the top but unfortunately all the upper shoots died off and all that remains are the shoots at the bottom.  i guess its telling me it wants to be cut right down? ok to do this now or should i wait till autumn? i dont want to cause it any more distress/shock after what it went thru in spring! from how slowly it has grown these past couple months its clear that its still struggling (its usally a very very rampant grower)

Edited by Suburban Streamer