Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Or, you can go down the route of hand pollination - using a soft artist's brush, gently brush each open flower, going from one to the other, picking up pollen as you go and transferring it from one plant to another.

Thank you J. Will try those tips, but the one quoted I've tried. I think my technique might be lacking....  Also, I've heard of some folk spraying the flowers (esp. tomatoes) with a fine water mist to 'set the fruit'. What's all that about? I have tried it but couldn't see any benefit.

A question for you experts I've been having problems with potatoes for a while now first it was wire worms and now its those little black slugs is there any potatoes that are resistant to both of these?

Thank you J. Will try those tips, but the one quoted I've tried. I think my technique might be lacking....  Also, I've heard of some folk spraying the flowers (esp. tomatoes) with a fine water mist to 'set the fruit'. What's all that about? I have tried it but couldn't see any benefit.

I'm of the opinion that the water spraying thing is a myth, it's supposed to work with Runner Beans too but I think if it works, it's a coincidence. I've had sporadic success with hand pollination, I think the trick is to get a really soft brush or if you can get hold of some, something uber soft like Rabbit fur may work better.

A question for you experts I've been having problems with potatoes for a while now first it was wire worms and now its those little black slugs is there any potatoes that are resistant to both of these?

Not that I know of. You can get a liquid slug killer which you water into the ground around plants, that's really quite effective on those little black demons as they often spend most of their life below ground, especially if they've found a tuber crop to munch on.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-45839.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=CIKByY76i7gCFWbJtAodUwoALA

I did hand pollination last year which did help.

However my problem so far this year is flower drop before the flowers even open so that's of no use. I have only one chilli plant with open flowers with all others + sweet peppers devoid of flowers.

I can only assume the temperatures are too low. I read peppers want night temps no lower than 15c but we're not getting many nights that mild so far this summer (12c being more common). The lack of >21c days isn't helping either. I've now partly closed the greenhouse door to try to store up some heat. Of course that restricts pollinators and air circulation so can't win! Besides as soon as the sun moves off it (by 2-3pm) it just falls to ambient temperature anyway.

Perhaps an overnight heater might help...

It probably is a temperature thing then. A heater would help but it's a bit expensive if you haven't already got one. Try a layer of bubble wrap over the roof of the greenhouse, it may be just enough to keep the temps up at night.

Finally chance to catch up with my garden!

Going to lift the early potatoes today. Foliage seems to be dying back on the second earlies - not sure if that means they're ready or going bad...

Got a caterpillar infestation on my cabbages/kale/broccoli. I keep moving them onto a couple of sacrificial plants but they've almost stripped them to the bone now!

DSC06601.JPG

Toms looking good - keeping up with snipping suckers off and now topped two of them as they've hit the greenhouse roof.

Peppers/chillies - more concern here. Flowers have formed but many have dropped leaving only the stalk of the flower still attached to the plant. No fruit forming on any plant yet. Not sure if this is down to temperature or some other issue. Can see time running out for peppers like last year with them only getting near ripening during late Sept when sunlight gets cut off.

Need some heat! Unless anyone thinks there's another reason they would drop flowers/flower buds?

I think the main problem is lack of warmth this year again. Capsicums need lots of heat to grow and crop well, they really don't like cool nights either. I've been leaving the door open to my polytunnel when I'm on the allotment to aid pollination but realistically, I'll be lucky to get much of a harvest sadly. Toms on the other hand are romping away!

I've got an electric radiator I could use - its just rigging up the supply that's a pain. 

Problem of the bubble wrap is it'd be high effort each day putting it on/taking it off especially as access to all bar the front door to the greenhouse is not available (my yard is small and plants are at high density!).

Will ponder that for now as tonights min is around 14c but tomorrow we're down at 10c - really wish it'd warm up like today and stay like it!

... I think the trick is to get a really soft brush or if you can get hold of some, something uber soft like Rabbit fur may work better.

Don't have any rabbits so I'm not looking forward to the missus' reaction when our cats are walking up and down with bald patches....

I've got an electric radiator I could use - its just rigging up the supply that's a pain. 

Problem of the bubble wrap is it'd be high effort each day putting it on/taking it off especially as access to all bar the front door to the greenhouse is not available (my yard is small and plants are at high density!).

Will ponder that for now as tonights min is around 14c but tomorrow we're down at 10c - really wish it'd warm up like today and stay like it!

It wouldn't do any harm if you put it on and left it on.

Got the heater in the greenhouse - found a way to rig the cable up passing it through the exhaust from the tumble dryer (optimistically hoping not to need it much this summer!).

Put the indoor temperature sensor from weather station in so just watching the values tonight. Going to aim for 18c as a min.

It wouldn't do any harm if you put it on and left it on.

Thought it may block too much sunlight - its a green plastic greenhouse and I often wonder if that blocks out precious UV as it is.

Got the heater in the greenhouse - found a way to rig the cable up passing it through the exhaust from the tumble dryer (optimistically hoping not to need it much this summer!).

Put the indoor temperature sensor from weather station in so just watching the values tonight. Going to aim for 18c as a min.

Thought it may block too much sunlight - its a green plastic greenhouse and I often wonder if that blocks out precious UV as it is.

I wouldn't think so, a plain glass greenhouse has either cool glass painted all over the glass, or green shading blinds in the summer.

Fair enough... just wasn't so sure. Have to make the most of my 6-7 hours of sun I get!

Heater worked well - kept it at around 17c all night. Had to open it this morning though as it'd steamed up and don't want a mold problem. Won't be long till proper warmth arrives so it'll all grow nicely!

all my veg been outside for about a month now.  Tomatoes doing very well. cucumbers a bit slow tho. chillies doing fine. not done much veg this year not had the time

post-15445-0-63517100-1372862043_thumb.j

and a couple of macro shots too...

post-15445-0-45990700-1372862147_thumb.j

post-15445-0-35140400-1372862246_thumb.j

Get ready to keep a close eye on your plants - they're gonna dry out very quickly in the coming hot sunshine!

I'm preparing the garden by moving spinach & other leafy things to the shaded areas. Of course the chillies & peppers are going to lap it up - should end up well ahead of last year. 

Strawberries in hanging baskets will certainly need to be monitored! Watering the blueberry bush with my tap water will need vinegar adding I think. No rain of any kind going to appear anytime soon that's for sure.

maybe the miracle is on, my toms have grown quite a lot recently, there are still no flowers on them but they should have some by mid july esp as it looks very sunny for the next week or so

maybe the miracle is on, my toms have grown quite a lot recently, there are still no flowers on them but they should have some by mid july esp as it looks very sunny for the next week or so

I guess yours are outdoors? because mind have mid sized tomatoes on now in the greenhouse

Mine too - loads of toms growing nicely now with plenty more flowers too. Topped them all now though as getting too large for the greenhouse.

My outdoor tomatoes are very bushy with plenty of flowers but not tomatoes yet. Think I might given them a feed this weekend. They are getting a bit too bushy now.....wen is the best time to start removing the lower branches?

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Side shoots should be removed as soon as you see them growing thats why they are so bushy by removing them its helps the fruit

Posted Image

Side shoots should be removed as soon as you see them growing thats why they are so bushy by removing them its helps the fruit

thanks SS, i better get on with it! its like a jungle in my raised bed

thanks SS, i better get on with it! its like a jungle in my raised bed

You may find some of the shoots are quite thick now so you'll need some secateurs of scissors to get them off

The Roses are certainly enjoying the sunshine. Anyone else plagued with Black Spot this year? It's never normally a problem but almost all of them are covered this year.

post-6280-0-52133000-1372959626_thumb.jppost-6280-0-20600800-1372959669_thumb.jppost-6280-0-39202100-1372959717_thumb.jppost-6280-0-75330000-1372959755_thumb.jppost-6280-0-21226800-1372959804_thumb.jppost-6280-0-44335500-1372959839_thumb.jppost-6280-0-84736300-1372959884_thumb.jppost-6280-0-74730300-1372959921_thumb.jp

The last one with the odd looking fluffy stems isn't covered in Greenfly, it's an old Moss Rose called William Lobb - smells wonderful.

Ah yes the constant job of pruning tomatoes! I've been very diligent with it this year but even still there's always one or two shoots that you miss until they suddenly end up massive with flowers hanging off 'em!

How's your chillis doing Bott's? Looks like J was right (ta J) about low temps causing flower drop..... flowers on mine were about to open at the start of this v.warm spell and so far so good, there's no sign of weakness in the stalks and there's hundreds of them.I knew this warm weather had to be good for something !