Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

At last my garden is starting to get a bit of colour in it, but the main event is yet to come.

Here's a few pics of it atm :-)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7

A few photos taken over the spring and today of my own garden.

I love gardening although don't have a lot of time. Try to go for generally disordered cottage garden with lots of herbaceous perennials around the lawn. At the back, an orchard (apples and plums), berries (rasps, gooseberries), rhubarb, and a small (few m2) vegetable patch (potatoes, peas, carrots, courgettes, radishes and parsnips right now with finger crossed on the courgettes as first time) for fun more than anything. That and to involve the wee 5yr old in growing stuff. Sometimes a disaster, sometimes a big success.

Don't ask me any advice. If I succeed in growing something, it was most likely by pure chance.

My favourite flowers are aquilegia. Lupins in second place.

post-9421-0-27872400-1370727572_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-86405800-1370727643_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-83082200-1370727660_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-82875000-1370727680_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-06653700-1370727701_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-04593100-1370727719_thumb.jp

• Like 6

toms are growing painfully slow, the chilly nights and wind this week has not helped, i think its too late for them now and it will be a miracle if i get any toms this year

i could cover them with something but the problem is they may suffocate during the day when im at work, and i can't be arsed going down to my allotment early every morning to take the covers off them

it looks like the cold nights are over for now, but that dam wind will still be blowing

Edited by Tony27

Were there any other symptoms - strange leaf colour, dark patches, wilting, the neighbours having hacked through the main stem, etc - before it died off completely?

The only thing I've ever known to kill Ivy as extensively as that, is cutting through the stem. Can't think of any disease nor pest which would kill it stone dead, over such a large extent, whilst leaving the rest of it untouched.

I actually get on very well with the neighbours on that side, so I doubt it was that. It just seem to dry and and all the leaves dropped off. I'l do some further investigations, thanks for the guidance.

toms are growing painfully slow, the chilly nights and wind this week has not helped, i think its too late for them now and it will be a miracle if i get any toms this year

i could cover them with something but the problem is they may suffocate during the day when im at work, and i can't be arsed going down to my allotment early every morning to take the covers off them

it looks like the cold nights are over for now, but that dam wind will still be blowing

Although my toms are doing well they seem to have ground to a halt this last week. The nights are chilly and the days cloudy. Any sunshine we do get is coming later in the day when they are in shade so slowed right down. Same goes for the peppers.

Hopefully the change this week will help - and we do now need some rain out there!

Veg has been growing well in this warm weather, although the waterbutt is almost empty now so I'll be welcoming a splash of rain this week.

Have been playing with my macro lens in the garden. I planted some borage a month ago to attract some bees, haven't seen any feeding on them yet although there seems to be a distinct lack of them this year. Hoping for a decent summer for their sake as well as mine!

post-11548-0-27490800-1370886369_thumb.jpost-11548-0-91511700-1370886385_thumb.j

Hoverfly feeding on alkanet.

post-11548-0-35699400-1370886834_thumb.jpost-11548-0-21159200-1370886850_thumb.j

Hawthorn blossom. 

post-11548-0-92681500-1370886902_thumb.j

• Like 3

back from Turkey and glad to say my neighbours did a fine job of looking after all my babies Posted Image

the alliums against the acer looking gorgeous at the mo....will try to put up a few pics later

my veg are also growing very slowly, especially the cucumbers.  Tomatoes looking ok but could be better. hopefully the small chance of some warmer weather down here will come to fruition!

Edited by Suburban Streamer
  • Like 1

Warmer weather at last so hopefully toms/peppers will grow a bit more especially if we catch any sunshine. Overnight min of 14c tonight- much better!

• Like 1

yep tonight will be the first proper warm night here, i have lost a few more toms due to the strong easterly winds, now they have to suffer with strong westerly winds for a few days, though they are so small i think its too late for them now even if we have a hot summer,  my cucumbers haven't even come up yet and i put the seeds in about 3 weeks ago

also does anyone know how to get rid of moles, i have one or two hanging around outside my plot at my allotments and they are starting to make their way into my plot, there is a whole field full of grass and weeds next to me why don;t they just go there, typical

Edited by Tony27

toms are growing painfully slow, the chilly nights and wind this week has not helped, i think its too late for them now and it will be a miracle if i get any toms this year i could cover them with something but the problem is they may suffocate during the day when im at work, and i can't be arsed going down to my allotment early every morning to take the covers off them it looks like the cold nights are over for now, but that dam wind will still be blowing

Hang on in there. I thought the same last year, but in the end did quite well, although they were late. This year I have toms inside and first toms are now set. A complete contrast to the ones outside, which like yours I suspect, are looking rather sad and cold.

yep tonight will be the first proper warm night here, i have lost a few more toms due to the strong easterly winds, now they have to suffer with strong westerly winds for a few days, though they are so small i think its too late for them now even if we have a hot summer,  my cucumbers haven't even come up yet and i put the seeds in about 3 weeks ago also does anyone know how to get rid of moles, i have one or two hanging around outside my plot at my allotments and they are starting to make their way into my plot, there is a whole field full of grass and weeds next to me why don;t they just go there, typical

There is a contraption that you can buy from garden centres. You put it down the mole hole into their run with the handles sticking above the ground. Must avoid touching the end that goes into the mole run, otherwise they smell it. Mole runs through the tunnel, and the trap springs shut, and the handles above ground close up, so you know there's one in there. It kills the mole.
  • Like 1

my lilys havent flowered yet but at least i havent seen any of those lily beetles this year i keep checking them everyday because last year they were destroyed by the horrible things Posted Image

• Like 1

The rose protection device has been deployed.

post-7340-0-10622500-1371237362_thumb.jp

Chance of success ~ zero.

The rose protection device has been deployed.

Posted Image20130614_193744_sm.jpg

Chance of success ~ zero.

That must be so annoying!

Is there any way of fixing the trellis horizontally on the top of the fence? If you could get it so that it stuck out into the field, they wouldn't be able to reach the Rose - needs to be neck, plus tongue distance away from the fence.

That must be so annoying! Is there any way of fixing the trellis horizontally on the top of the fence? If you could get it so that it stuck out into the field, they wouldn't be able to reach the Rose - needs to be neck, plus tongue distance away from the fence.

Good thinking Batgirl.I'll get on it right away.

Edit - Just the job. Thank you.

Edited by jtay
  • Like 1

jtay, on 15 Jun 2013 - 08:19, said:Good thinking Batgirl.I'll get on it right away.Edit - Just the job. Thank you.

You need to keep them 6 feet away from the rose — that's the distance you plant hedges from fencing in fields with cows. If the hedge is any closer, well, you know what happens ...

You need to keep them 6 feet away from the rose — that's the distance you plant hedges from fencing in fields with cows. If the hedge is any closer, well, you know what happens ...

Reckon we've got 4 feet... however, so far, so good...Mind you, the bull's in there now so they're otherwise engaged.

Those outdoor tomatoes could still grow away but it really isn't good for then to get checked into that purple and blue stage, and even in the south early June is probably soon enough for putting them out if you can't cover through a spell of chilly nights.

Things are very late here, these pink bluebells are generally very reliably at their best around 20th May but the bottom flowers still not gone over yet this year.

Posted Image

Mooo!Posted Image

Mooove away from my roses.

• Like 1

Those outdoor tomatoes could still grow away but it really isn't good for then to get checked into that purple and blue stage, and even in the south early June is probably soon enough for putting them out if you can't cover through a spell of chilly nights.

Things are very late here, these pink bluebells are generally very reliably at their best around 20th May but the bottom flowers still not gone over yet this year.

Posted Image

Aren't they pink bells?

my toms are still very small when can i start giving them some fertiliser to speed them up? it looks like we will have some hot weather this week which will be good, although 3 days of heat probably isn't enough really

Edited by Tony27

my lilys havent flowered yet but at least i havent seen any of those lily beetles this year i keep checking them everyday because last year they were destroyed by the horrible things Posted Image

I had dozens of the little buggers :-( 

my toms are still very small when can i start giving them some fertiliser to speed them up? it looks like we will have some hot weather this week which will be good, although 3 days of heat probably isn't enough really

I only give mine fertiliser when the first toms are set, otherwise you are at risk of lots of leafy growth and not much tomato actionjust picked first broad beans! yum, yum. Edited by picog

A quick question for all you experts: why do my lobelias have differently coloured flowers on the same plant?Posted Image