Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

Seconded with the chillies. We've grown them on the office window ledge (4 of them) and they've done really really - even kept flowering and producing a few chillies over winter! But then our office window faces directly south and we had a very sunny winter here. They live above the radiator too - happy plants!

I have also re-poted my runner beans into toilet roll's! as it's still to cold to plant outside, and looking at the latest GFS...well it could be some time yet !

This gives the roots plenty of space, and also when/if i plant them out you can just plant the whole thing in the garden and this is less stress on the plant from removing roots from a pot. They are very happy on the window sill atm...

Can roses be grown indoors? And will they flower repeatedly if so?

Also the window is east facing if that makes a difference.

Can roses be grown indoors? And will they flower repeatedly if so?

Also the window is east facing if that makes a difference.

Yes they shure can, my mother grows miniature Roses in the hallway with not much sunlight, so East faceing should be fine. They realy add colour in the winter time to.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Basics-in-Growing-Roses-Indoors&id=4336725

A good afternoon in the yard albeit blowing a freezing gale!

Decided to replace the £8 Wilko plaggy greenhouses with a big sturdy plastic one from Homebase - more sturdy and has a sloping roof. The flat tops of the old ones were sagging under the constant rain!

Put my two largest pepper plants into massive pots (huge pots in fact!) and left them out there so hopefully they'll be ok until things finally warm up. Any sun it'll turn dead warm in there although I doubt we'll see much of this fabled 'sunshine' this week.

Make shure you anker the frame down well.. it will be gone in no time in this weather Posted Image

And keep them off the floor incase of permafrost...

Yeah I was most relieved to find it still in the same place when I got up this morning. Could hear the wind howling all night. The old ones would be all over the yard by now but this one is heavy and held down by everything I could find.

If plants could talk I think my peppers would be asking what they ever did to me this morning!

looks like annoying frosts later this week so everything will have to wait to probably mid may

Has anyone here ever tried growing a giant Pumpkin? I'm tempted to give it a go - who's up for a competition, see who can grow the biggest?

What a difference a day makes - the tulips have come out after waiting closed for two weeks now and everything has that 'uplifted' look having been sunned for the first time in god knows how long.

Will skip the giant pumpkin growing - space is tight as it is!

Yes much better weather today to be in the garden, only for the fact i have been at work all day...

Had a little tidy up after the strong winds yesterday blew lots of small branches and twigs everywhere, looking better now.

Runner beans still on window sill, will prob leave them for another week before planting outside, Also im going to buy some Alpine Strawberrys this weekend, they can grow anywhere but will hopefully be planting them in my rockery. Very nice they are to ! smaller but more flavor than regular strawberry's.

Looking at the latest GFS, it looks like the runner beans will be stopping on the window sill for yet another week. -4c uppers over all the uk and -8c over Scotland. Temps could drop to -5c. Watch your Chillies Bottesford, they hate the cold...

Any cheap solutions for a lawn that is currently looking like it has elapecia?

I gave it a cut last night with the mower, it was like a cow field. I want nice grass, not moss and weeds :(

Get some feed and weed on it, but make shure it rains within 24hrs of applying it or it will burn everything.

After 2/3 weeks rake all the dead moss out, it will look bare and patchy but dont worry!

Then wait for a nice moist day and give it a good roll, airiate the lawn all over using a gardening fork, push the prongs in 2/3 inch all over.

Re-seed the bare patches (keep the birds off for 2 weeks)

Your lawn will look much better after doing these few simple things.

Any cheap solutions for a lawn that is currently looking like it has elapecia?

I gave it a cut last night with the mower, it was like a cow field. I want nice grass, not moss and weeds Posted Image

Get some feed and weed on it, but make shure it rains within 24hrs of applying it or it will burn everything.

After 2/3 weeks rake all the dead moss out, it will look bare and patchy but dont worry!

Then wait for a nice moist day and give it a good roll, airiate the lawn all over using a gardening fork, push the prongs in 2/3 inch all over.

Re-seed the bare patches (keep the birds off for 2 weeks)

Your lawn will look much better after doing these few simple things.

I don't think I will have any 24hr rain problems at the moment! :)

Thanks.

At this stage I'd just be happy to just see the flood waters recede and reveal my garden. Goodness knows what it will look like when it finally reappears, rather soggy I'd imagine!

At this stage I'd just be happy to just see the flood waters recede and reveal my garden. Goodness knows what it will look like when it finally reappears, rather soggy I'd imagine!

Get some Water Lillies and Bull Rushes planted shed Posted Image

Get some Water Lillies and Bull Rushes planted shed Posted Image

Sounds like a plan PM but perhaps I should be greatful for small mercies, after all, how many people can boast a 1/4 acre garden with a 400 square mile water feature... Posted Image

Edited by shedhead

Looking at the latest GFS, it looks like the runner beans will be stopping on the window sill for yet another week. -4c uppers over all the uk and -8c over Scotland. Temps could drop to -5c. Watch your Chillies Bottesford, they hate the cold...

Not let the chillies out just yet - keeping them on the window ledge until this vileness finally passes.

Got two yellow pepper plants out there now though (in giant pots). If it gets too cold will protect or (somehow) bring them in although I'm not really in the frost prone area being located in a city centre (well half mile from centre) and the house almost surrounding the courtyard.

It's not only the gardens suffering in these foul conditions - this poor falcon and her remaining chick are struggling: http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiversity/falcons/index.html?campaignid=falcons

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan PM but perhaps I should be greatful for small mercies, after all, how many people can boast a 1/4 acre garden with a 400 square mile water feature... Posted Image

You should have been more prepared Shed...

Posted Image

• Like 2

Not let the chillies out just yet - keeping them on the window ledge until this vileness finally passes.

Got two yellow pepper plants out there now though (in giant pots). If it gets too cold will protect or (somehow) bring them in although I'm not really in the frost prone area being located in a city centre (well half mile from centre) and the house almost surrounding the courtyard.

It's not only the gardens suffering in these foul conditions - this poor falcon and her remaining chick are struggling: http://www.ntu.ac.uk...paignid=falcons

Thats bad news, 2 chicks lost... hope the remaining one hangs on in there.

I think the 3rd is a gonna already. One left but I wonder if it will survive all this horrible cold weather we've got coming up still.

What a cruel spring its been!

can any one tell me if strawberries and lettuce die from frosts, thanks in advance

yep we just have to be patient and wait till this annoying cold ends, typical that in december and january i barely had a frost here just when i would want them.

Strawberries will be fine and unless its really hard frost lettuce will be fine. With the short nights even if it gets cold the sun won't be away long to kill the more hardy plants.

Chillies and other summer veg keep it safe of course!

Anyone else struggling with stuff growing this year, all my tomato plants are tiny. I have grown them from seed in a greenhouse, but have not provided them with any extra heat.

They have new leaf on them, but are only 3" tall at the moment, hoping with a bit of warm weather they will shoot up!