Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

ive been really lazy this year, not grown any veg from seed, just gonna buy some small cucumber / tomato / chili plants and put them straight into my raised bed.  i dont have a greenhouse but usually grow from seed in my sunny garage.

all this sunshine during the day does make me feel like i just want to buy them and put them out now but i think i better wait a week or so until the chance of frost is gone.  i just hope the sun shines all the way through May so i can make up for lost time!

Generally, the garden is looking very healthy and no sign of any frost damage from these recent cold nights which is a relief :)

This is the first year i'm growing my veg in a raised bed (i usually just buy 2 or 3 grow bags).  I was wondering what soil i should put in the raised bed? i'm toying between a nice combo of manure and good quality compost or maybe just emptying a few grow bags into the bed? Would it make much difference either way?

Any top tips would be appreciated :)

• Like 1

ive been really lazy this year, not grown any veg from seed, just gonna buy some small cucumber / tomato / chili plants and put them straight into my raised bed.  i dont have a greenhouse but usually grow from seed in my sunny garage.

all this sunshine during the day does make me feel like i just want to buy them and put them out now but i think i better wait a week or so until the chance of frost is gone.  i just hope the sun shines all the way through May so i can make up for lost time!

Generally, the garden is looking very healthy and no sign of any frost damage from these recent cold nights which is a relief Posted Image

This is the first year i'm growing my veg in a raised bed (i usually just buy 2 or 3 grow bags).  I was wondering what soil i should put in the raised bed? i'm toying between a nice combo of manure and good quality compost or maybe just emptying a few grow bags into the bed? Would it make much difference either way?

Any top tips would be appreciated Posted Image

I've just put grow bags into my vege beds a lot depends on what you intend to grow as some things like carrots for example don't like freshly manured soil

My tomatoes are flying away...

I thought it was red admiral...

• Like 1

I'm stunned looking round my garden today; I put canes and string supports around and across the Peony yesterday, gave it a hefty dose of chicken poo and watered it in well. It's grown almost 3 inches in literally 24 hours, it's now well above the string lines. Amazing stuff chicken poo, garden still stinks though....sorry neighbours.

• Like 4

A bit annoyed that the beeb have scrapped Gardeners world tonight just so they can show the snooker why not put the snooker on the red button?

• Like 1

A bit annoyed that the beeb have scrapped Gardeners world tonight just so they can show the snooker why not put the snooker on the red button?

It's just a different type of potting. Posted Image

• Like 1

Think I'll put the tomatoes out, next week...Any frost that does occur (and there's none forecast for at least 10 days) ought to be very short-lived...

It's just a different type of potting. Posted Image

Correct but this is one of the biggest weekends for Gardening given that its a bank holiday

• Like 1

Correct but this is one of the biggest weekends for Gardening given that its a bank holiday

You'll have to get your fix from Gardeners' question time on Radio 4. It's on in a minute.

Just back from a lovely week on the Isle Of Wight,however looking at some of my gardens,the customerts havent heeded my advice to water and things are very dry.

Cut our bit of grass for first time yesterday and got the grand total of two hopper things to empty.

It does seem to be trying to regrow already though.Usually the first cut is a bit of a nightmare as it's been too wet or something and is a big job to chomp through - then it looks awful for days after.

My toms & peppers spent last night outside. With mins now 8c+ I think they'll be ok (it was 10.6c min last night).

Got my seaweed liquid feed from here - going to get feeding later today!

What a glorious day it's been! Things really bursting into life now, some of my Parrot Tulips have opened; I can understand the Tulip mania of years ago, love them! Also, anyone want any Rhubarb? It's gone a bit bonkers. Hints and tips on how to use it up gratefully received, anyone got any killer recipes?

The Primroses and Primula's are still going strong, there's now a Cowslip appeared in the lawn too Posted Image 

post-6280-0-71290100-1367775805_thumb.jppost-6280-0-58306100-1367775861_thumb.jppost-6280-0-75943100-1367775918_thumb.jppost-6280-0-51240700-1367775968_thumb.jp

• Like 7

What a glorious day it's been! Things really bursting into life now, some of my Parrot Tulips have opened; I can understand the Tulip mania of years ago, love them! Also, anyone want any Rhubarb? It's gone a bit bonkers. Hints and tips on how to use it up gratefully received, anyone got any killer recipes?

The Primroses and Primula's are still going strong, there's now a Cowslip appeared in the lawn too Posted Image 

Posted ImageDSCF4115.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4128.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4130.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4133.JPG

Rhubarb Crumble / Fool is what I use it for

Well this lovely weather ain't half got things growing! Peppers and toms shooting up now...<br />Looks like its turning cooler sadly (although we need some rain) but hoping I don't need to bring plants in at night again. The lows look like 7-8c at moment so should get away with it I think but still a bit nervous of slowing growth.<br />What are others going to do?

Aye, Botty: rain is what we need most, just now. The sweat-lodge can come later.

We could certainly do with some rain now the hosepipes and sprinklers and working overtime here at the moment

I am now down to 1 120 liter water butt I started the season with 3 full to the top until we get more rain they'll be staying empty

Edited by Gavin.

Well this lovely weather ain't half got things growing! Peppers and toms shooting up now...<br />Looks like its turning cooler sadly (although we need some rain) but hoping I don't need to bring plants in at night again. The lows look like 7-8c at moment so should get away with it I think but still a bit nervous of slowing growth.<br />What are others going to do?

Anything lower than about 6c and you're risking it a bit with Peppers, I'd either bring them in or cover them up.

What am I going to do???? Sleep would be nice. A bit like having a baby, you forget how bad it was....that just about sums me up... that enormous new bed I've got to dig, the gravel path and pergola....almost done but I'm knackered! Never again. 

• Like 2

Well I'll certainly keep everything cold sensitive in the greenhouse but having measured the temps in there it ends up just as cold as outdoors only a couple of hours after the sun goes (so by 4pm in my case). So indoors it will have to be... bugger. Thought I'd escaped that morning & night mission!

My toms & peppers spent last night outside. With mins now 8c+ I think they'll be ok (it was 10.6c min last night).

Got my seaweed liquid feed from here - going to get feeding later today!

My uncle used to live on Jersey (sadly he died in February - we all miss him so much) but he was convinced the famous Jersey potatoes didn't taste half as good as they used to because they no longer gathered up the seaweed in Autumn after storms to manure the potatoes.

When we went to his funeral every available plot or field was covered in black plastic to warm the soil. And some of the fields are so steep, they could only be harvested by hand - a tractor would fall off.

Anything lower than about 6c and you're risking it a bit with Peppers, I'd either bring them in or cover them up.

What am I going to do???? Sleep would be nice. A bit like having a baby, you forget how bad it was....that just about sums me up... that enormous new bed I've got to dig, the gravel path and pergola....almost done but I'm knackered! Never again. 

That's what I thought. Now our beds which have been established for 10 years, all have the dreaded couch grass and bindweed.

I went ballistic last year and glysophated the lot, but although it's a bit better, I still have to get in there and dig things out - get the couch grass roots off and put it back again then water water water... gardening's a never ending struggle.

Oh that sounds good (just done a bit of reading) for sure - I'll certainly give that a go.Only issue is I've always been told to avoid wetting tomato/pepper leaves as they might get fungal infections or if its daytime/sunny then burn the leaves. Any thoughts?

Yep - blight.

Tomatoes and potatoes are both very prone to blight and should only be watered at their roots, If you put a sprinkler on them, you're creating the exact conditions the fungus likes.

Posted ImageDSCF4115.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4128.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4130.JPGPosted ImageDSCF4133.JPG

Bottle it. It's delicious after a few months and another thing to do is to make a savoury relish with it for mackerel or other oily fish.

Wonderful tulips - my favourite is one called Recreado, which has wine red flowers, but the added bonus of these beautiful dark blue-tinged stems, so even before the flowers open you get something pretty.

• Like 1

Ooo, I like the idea of Rhubarb Relish, can you recommend a recipe? Anyone ever tried Rhubarb Chutney, if so, is it nice?

Finally finished digging that new bed, 39mtrs long x 4.5mtrs wide, a barrow load of compost dug into every square meter, by my reckoning, that's 175 barrow loads, all carted by muggins from one end of the garden to the other. 12 ton of gravel spread. Pergola up.  I'm sure I'm marching toward the certifiable list ....getting too bleeding old for this malarky.

a fantastic thread guys. I tryed to grow a j.ponkpin last year but the weather put payed to that. Where can i get hold of those red devel chillies from guys? Thanks.