Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Outdoor wise I'm sticking to the winter crops a bit longer yet. Still got a greenhouse full of cabbages & oriental greens that were meant to provide for winter. However they've only just started getting going (now sunlight actually falls on them for some of the day) so be more an early to mid spring harvest!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a glorious, Spring like day today, spent most of it sowing seeds and marking out a new flower bed. The new bed will be eleven and a half foot wide by just over sixty foot long, fronted by a

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine so if I slip into rant mode, I apologise now.   Titchmarsh is right, gardeners are universally regarded as too thick to do anything else, the public perception is a

The Pergola is up, the digging is all done, the gravel is spread and the massive tree has had a trim to expose the trunk and let some light through ; all that's left to do is plant it up and pray for

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Gardeners world returns to BBC 2 and BBC HD tonight at 20:30

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Gardeners world returns to BBC 2 and BBC HD tonight at 20:30

Completely forgot, that's great.

This week, Daily Politics and Gardeners World is the lineup for me tonight then.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Anyone know who best to ask about ground frost penetration? Is it down to how low the temperatures get or is it down to constantly low temperatures over a period of time?

Just thinking about my tiddies! (spuds)

Posted

Good episode i thought.

Posted

Good episode i thought.

Yes it was next week there is a section about roses and advice on the best type of mulch to use for particular garden and planting conditions

I was pleased too see Monty offer advice on laying paths as that grey stuff he used is something I'd never heard of before. Like Monty my chillies are set off now

Posted

This late freeze has gone and froze the water pipe going into the greenhouse looks like I'm going to have to revert back to carrying watering cans up to the greenhouse instead of just switching on the tap and doing it the easy way it could be Thursday or Friday before I get the tap working again when it should turn slightly milder

Posted

Just been down to my allotment and the Broad Beans I planted in late October are looking very sad indeed, I hope they pull through, I 've seen look this bad before but earlier in the season when they weren't as big and a lot of the crop survived so I have everything crossed. It was the bitter wind that has caused the damage I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

That was one savage wind - think that was literally the worst I've ever felt. Gladly my yard is very sheltered from wind (which sadly means shaded from sun a lot) so winter veg is probably ok...

Hoping it warms up for Easter so can get cracking at last out there (and raise soil temps too).

Posted

That was one savage wind - think that was literally the worst I've ever felt. Gladly my yard is very sheltered from wind (which sadly means shaded from sun a lot) so winter veg is probably ok...

Hoping it warms up for Easter so can get cracking at last out there (and raise soil temps too).

I've placed ground covers down where the potatoes are going in to try and keep the soil warm I really need to get them in (earlies) by Easter weekend if i can but all will depend on with this late cold spell leaves us

Posted

I was hoping to do some digging and planting this w/e, but the combination of probable rain and very cold soil has scuppered that idea. Hopefully, the weather will warm up a bit so we can get onto the garden soon.

Soil here still very wet - it''s a heavy clay. I still have puddles on the grass in a couple of places.

Edited by picog
    Posted

Temperatures have warmed up enough to enable the pipe to unfreeze so I now have water in the Greenhouse again, its looking like it will warm up at the end of next week so I may be able to get some veg out into the garden during the final week of March with a bit of luck

Posted

I've placed ground covers down where the potatoes are going in to try and keep the soil warm I really need to get them in (earlies) by Easter weekend if i can but all will depend on with this late cold spell leaves us

I've just lifted the ground cover I put over the spuds I'd already planted hoping to keep some of the frost out of the ground. When I compared the soil that was under the cover compared with the soil un-covered, it was a lot colder. Is there a danger you could trap cold in the soil when you cover it rather than let the sun warm it up?

I've just put another line of spuds in and a line of peas. I've taken the view that even if it does get colder early next week it doesn't look like it'll last long down south..........hopefully.

Posted

I've just lifted the ground cover I put over the spuds I'd already planted hoping to keep some of the frost out of the ground. When I compared the soil that was under the cover compared with the soil un-covered, it was a lot colder. Is there a danger you could trap cold in the soil when you cover it rather than let the sun warm it up?

I've just put another line of spuds in and a line of peas. I've taken the view that even if it does get colder early next week it doesn't look like it'll last long down south..........hopefully.

I covered the soil over when we had that mild spell a few weeks back and thats kept the soil warm. I always try to avoid covering the soil when it turns cold as like you said it can trap the cold in. Hopefully I will get my spuds out in a few weeks I'm just holding back until its certain the weather will warm up so far its looking promising

Edited by Gavin.
    Posted

Ah, that makes sense. Fingers crossed for a warm up, as much as I'm a snow lover I also need to earn some money.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Somerset midway between Bath&Wells. Mendips 200m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yeah! Finally got the veg garden dug today, I seem to have been waiting forever for the soil to dry out enough.

• Like 1
    Posted

Boy marigolds come up quick don't they! Planted Sunday afternoon. Up and leaves open Tuesday evening...

The spring onions took 1.5 weeks to do the same (as did the peppers).

All indoors I hasten to add!

Posted

Well it's been a vile day here, squirrelled myself away in the greenhouse at work, making Hazel wigwams and hurdles with the prunings from last week.

I want some warm weather. NOW!!!!!

Posted

Never heard it called that before.

So far this year, I've only managed to dig over my smallish veg plot in order to let the frost get to it. The seed potatoes are chitting on the windowsill and the onion sets are still bagged up by the back door.

I daren't start anything off in the greenhouse yet, as it's not heated. All in all, a bit sad really.

Posted

Broad Beans look like they are recovering from the dreadful cold wind we had last week. Some of the shoots have died but most of the plants still have a good growing stalk on them. Rain is just turning to snow here, lots of snow the otherside of the hill apparently.

Posted

No thoughts of vegetable planting till late April here ground temperature yesterday of 2c and -2c this morning. Daffodils only 2 inches above soil surface, very late even for us. Polar opposite of last year.

Posted

Some daffs are starting to try to open here in Darlo, lots of daffs coming through now well behind last year but that was exceptional

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

some orange centered daffs in flower with a lot still awating growing weather..

Posted

Two Honey Bees and a giant Bumble Bee were buzzing around the flowering Apricot tree in the greenhouse today, lovely to see they've made it through the winter and it saves me the tedious job of hand pollinating every flower Posted Image

• Like 1
    Posted

Two Honey Bees and a giant Bumble Bee were buzzing around the flowering Apricot tree in the greenhouse today, lovely to see they've made it through the winter and it saves me the tedious job of hand pollinating every flower Posted Image

You and i have a very different definition of lovely, can't stand insects.