Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

31 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

acanthus mollis - bears breeches . :)

Cheers Mushy, It's in full flower now and looking splendid. Will take a snap of it later when I'm back home.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:53, ciel said:

Have just been doing some hoeing and hand weeding in the potato/parsnip plot.  Bindweed seems to be sprouting.:nonono: I'm not sure how to deal with this plant. Ideas would be welcome. At the moment I am just pulling them out or hoeing the seedlings.

Not sure if you have found out how to deal with this.

If it is bind weed chopping it off with a hoe will help weaken it but the quite thick roots soon resprout.  Also if you chop the roots up and leave them in the soil you will find that each piece will produce a new plant.  Obviously not what you want.

If I find some I spray with a Glyphosphate Weed Killer.  There are various makes and sizes.  Some ready made up others you need to dilute.  If it is only a small problem get the smallest and cheapest size.  Chances are it might also be the weakest formular.

I use Rosate 36 as I have a relatively large area to deal with.  Fairly expensive (you can get various sizes from various places including Amazon).   Checkout http://weedicide.co.uk/rosate-36-glyphosphate-weed-killer-review/ (this link is mainly for farmers but basic details are applicable to anyone).

Assuming you dilute as advised and spray so leaves are well covered it is surprising how long it takes to react.  Might be a week or so before much happens but eventually kills tops and roots most effectively.  Works on most things.

BEWARE (appropriate to most weedkillers) - make sure you do not allow any spray to drift onto plants that you want to keep.  It will either kill them as well or give them a good singe. If you are spraying weeds and walk on the area of ground this can be picked up on the soles of your boots.  If you walk across a lawn you will cause nice footprints of dead grass.  If you spray anywhere near raspberries you are liable to end up with funny shaped leaves.

Finally wash out thoroughly the container you use. Good practice not to leave any sprayer with any weed killer in it unused.  Easy to forget what was in it.  Fill up with insecticide next time only to find you end up killing your prized rose.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Cheers Mushy, It's in full flower now and looking splendid. Will take a snap of it later when I'm back home.

ive got one... pinched it out a customers garden a few years ago lol..

• Like 1

Can't believe how big my hollyhocks have got...

IMAG0849.thumb.jpg.dcd4c5a71defb4ddf0261426e43139c2.jpg