Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

It was very wet through early Spring, and then May and June as well, that's probably why. If we don't get a cold enough winter to kill most of them, I'll try the nematodes next year.

Climbing Borlotti beans. Initially for Fench type beans and now letting them mature. 

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, interested & confused said:

I've just pulled up all the tomato plants that were under a plastic 'lid' on the allotment, because they were badly slugged as well.

Most of the ripe ones had large holes in :( So instead of passata I'll be making green tomato chutney!

You have an allotment:shok: Must be growing lots of stuff on there:shok:

5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

You have an allotment:shok: Must be growing lots of stuff on there:shok:

Fortunately have a relatively large garden so  can pop out when I like. When I bought the place it was completely over grown not having been lived in for a few years. Did house up eventually. (Took years) and dug the garden over to the subsoil prior to landscaping it. 

We had damn all money so everything took an age. 

Wish I had the energy I had when I was in my 20's. 

5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Fortunately have a relatively large garden so  can pop out when I like. When I bought the place it was completely over grown not having been lived in for a few years. Did house up eventually. (Took years) and dug the garden over to the subsoil prior to landscaping it. 

We had damn all money so everything took an age. 

Wish I had the energy I had when I was in my 20's. 

Impressive tomatoes

One advantage of being retired. Do what you like when you like. Got nothing like this when working. 

Strange about the chillies as I don't use many. Grow a lot as I like giving them away. 

Range from relatively mild  (Jalapeño) to  blow your brains out being over 1 million on the Scoville Scale. 

Check out  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

I like having enough stuff to give away. 

If you are feeling masocistic I grow these chillies. 

15 hours ago, Snipper said:

Tomatoes were doing so well

image.jpeg

I've just developed a serious case of tomato envy. :D

14 hours ago, Snipper said:

One advantage of being retired. Do what you like when you like. Got nothing like this when working. 

There's hope for me yet then.

8 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I've just developed a serious case of tomato envy. :D

There's hope for me yet then.

Please don't be envious.. Makes me feel a bit embarrassed.  Anyone can do it. Just attention to detail, type of tomato you grow. Lots of reading and taking on board tips most gardeners are more than happy to provide. Whether you grow in your garden soil, grow bags, pots or troughs. 

Obviously being located in the southern portion of UK I have an advantage and I appreciate that. 

image.jpeg

On 6 September 2016 at 20:54, Snipper said:

Tomatoes were doing so well

image.jpeg

Lovely plant and crop :) Did you grow some indoors too? I did both, the outside ones are still going strong and taste lovely. Had to cut down the indoor ones a couple of weeks ago as they were growing very oddly and looked diseased. Still got loads of yummy toms from them though, made my first load of ketchup with some. Peppers doing ok but some fruits developed a rot, is that due to overwatering?

Can anyone help me identify the disease that is wiping out my brassica crops? So far it has affected my broad leaf, curly and italian kale and has just started to spread to the swedes, turnip and spinach.  It starts with white lesions/splash marks on the leaves followed by the leaves at the centre curling and rotting.  I'm not sure if I have a number of fungal diseases or just one that I can't identify.  It's really important that I find out what it is as I sell my produce and am getting v worried I'm not going to be able to use the land next year.  Thanks in advance.

brassica leaf.jpe

DSC00477.JPG

3 hours ago, microclimate said:

Can anyone help me identify the disease that is wiping out my brassica crops? So far it has affected my broad leaf, curly and italian kale and has just started to spread to the swedes, turnip and spinach.  It starts with white lesions/splash marks on the leaves followed by the leaves at the centre curling and rotting.  I'm not sure if I have a number of fungal diseases or just one that I can't identify.  It's really important that I find out what it is as I sell my produce and am getting v worried I'm not going to be able to use the land next year.  Thanks in advance.

brassica leaf.jpe

DSC00477.JPG

Might possibly be downey mildew. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=105

will investigate for other possible causes. 

Whatever the cause pull leaves off and destroy. Do not compost. 

Edited by Snipper
Added info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Lovely plant and crop :) Did you grow some indoors too? I did both, the outside ones are still going strong and taste lovely. Had to cut down the indoor ones a couple of weeks ago as they were growing very oddly and looked diseased. Still got loads of yummy toms from them though, made my first load of ketchup with some. Peppers doing ok but some fruits developed a rot, is that due to overwatering?

Do you mean the tomatoes were a funny shape? If yes they are probably not diseased. Just a case of not being properly fertilised. 

Alternatively if the tomatoe appears rotten at the bottom this is blossom end rot. Caused by erratic watering. Real problem when growing in grow bags. Peppers are much the same. 

Sorry I meant to say I grew my tomatoes in the green house and out doors. Greenhouse ones have now been cleared. 

Edited by Snipper
Alteration

30 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Do you mean the tomatoes were a funny shape? If yes they are probably not diseased. Just a case of not being properly fertilised. 

Alternatively if the tomatoe appears rotten at the bottom this is blossom end rot. Caused by erratic watering. Real problem when growing in grow bags. Peppers are much the same. 

Sorry I meant to say I grew my tomatoes in the green house and out doors. Greenhouse ones have now been cleared. 

The plants I grew in tubs in the greenhouse this year went very strange. I wish I'd taken a few pics now, hard to describe but growth went very spindly and deformed. Not seen it before, have grown toms for a few years now and have come across blossom end rot and it wasn't that. Only thing I can think of is something in the soil mix I used was bad? Too much manure? This year is the first time some of my peppers have rotted on the bush. Will cut back the watering and see how they get on, I know they don't like too much. Difficult though as I'm away a lot with work and my Mum helps out with watering and tends to totally soak everything! Bless.

Edited by stainesbloke

6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The plants I grew in tubs in the greenhouse this year went very strange. I wish I'd taken a few pics now, hard to describe but growth went very spindly and deformed. Not seen it before, have grown toms for a few years now and have come across blossom end rot and it wasn't that. Only thing I can think of is something in the soil mix I used was bad? Too much manure? This year is the first time some of my peppers have rotted on the bush. Will cut back the watering and see how they get on, I know they don't like too much. Difficult though as I'm away a lot with work and my Mum helps out with watering and tends to totally soak everything! Bless.

Check out http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/weird-shaped-tomatoes.htm

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/pepper/pepper-blossom-end-rot.htm

Edited by Snipper

@Microclimate -  I can confirm the brassica are indeed infected by Downy mildew; Snipper also mentioned a link relating to the mildew and YES - please do destroy, and do NOT compost, due to the mildew spores. Do you have any brassica plants at all you can salvage, such as Sprouts, or Cauliflowers etc??