Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Bottesford

Net Weather Gardening Thread

19 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

stargazer?... mine are all but done, but im not bothered as its not the height of summer now... swifts have gone, nights rapidly drawing in etc...

Yes stargazer Mushy, Should be fully out by the time i get home later, Will get a photo of it.

Fully open now, And the others are just starting.

20160818_183151_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

stargazer?... mine are all but done, but im not bothered as its not the height of summer now... swifts have gone, nights rapidly drawing in etc...

Yes high summer has gone swifts have gone here too.

In spring/early summer there appeared to be a massive increase in the rabbit population here, so much so I did not attempt to grow any vegetables, excepting some corn which rapidly disappeared! Admittedly, the corn had minimal protection against rabbits.

Over the past two-three weeks the rabbits have all but disappeared, and I suspect a local outbreak of rabbit haemorrhagic disease. Good news for the garden but it is not good to see them suffer. The pic below, taken this morning, details one of the signs. He was also very lethargic

rabbit2.jpg

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Anyone's runner beans still standing after this wind?  Seems to be trash Saturday. 

On 18/08/2016 at 21:36, interested & confused said:

Lost my Stargazers to the Lily Beetles Grrrr - horrible things!

bulbs will be ok..... just watch out next year for the first signs , defoliation... best still check every day or so for the eggs... easy to see, easier and less messy to rub out.

16 hours ago, Snipper said:

Anyone's runner beans still standing after this wind?  Seems to be trash Saturday. 

Had to prop my bean wigwam up with some lath and string to keep it in place, but managed to save it :)

Later I'll be going to see if the corn on the allotment is still standing ...................... wish me luck!

Mine survived. Got a row of runner beans and one of Borlotti climbing beans. Both about 9ft tall. Even pinched them out at 6ft. 

Hope sweet corn still there in a vaguely upright position. 

Some of the giant sunflowers have had their heads bent right over. 

Edited by Snipper
Spelling

@Snowycat - the trouble that your bean plants faced is most likely due to the soil being too cold at the time you transplanted them.  I encountered this a few years back and had to learn from that mistake. The roots have had a cold shock unfortunately, but if it is any consolation, hopefully the rest of your plants thrive & flourish throughout the remainder of the year! :D 

Some of the white Lillys are coming out now, Should smell wonderful over the coming days.

20160822_182632.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice and the aroma of white Lilium is really nice.  'Stargazer' is another beautiful hybrid you might have tried over the years?...

13 hours ago, Seanlid said:

@Snowycat - the trouble that your bean plants faced is most likely due to the soil being too cold at the time you transplanted them.  I encountered this a few years back and had to learn from that mistake. The roots have had a cold shock unfortunately, but if it is any consolation, hopefully the rest of your plants thrive & flourish throughout the remainder of the year! :D 

Hi and yep I totally agree that has been the problem.  Someone kindly posted a link to problems with bean plants and the soil been too cold when planted out was on that list.  Can't see any evidence of pests, fungus or any other disease.  They have recovered to a degree  with a couple of beans appearing!!  Didn't plant them out until well into June though but I think there must have been some coldish nights in June,

I plant my beans out with fleece wrapped around the canes, nowadays. it seems to stop any transplant shock.

I seem to have spent the last few days watering, watering and watering.................

• Like 1

Could try putting fleece or possibly polythene on the ground prior to sowing or replanting to warm soil up. Would act like cloche.

• Like 1

Managed to pick 4 ....yes 4.... :) little beans off then for tea, very tender and nice.  The runner beans have done OK though

The runners in the garden, where it is easy to water, are going great guns.

The ones on the plot have finished already, not allowed to use a hosepipe there,  and I'm too far from the tap to carry a lot of water :( 

This is my first year as an apple grower. We planted two 3ft trees in June and check out this incredible harvest.

IMGP0810_sm.jpg

:laugh:

Edit - Now I have to wait until next year for another.

Edited by jtay
I've just eaten it.
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2016 at 18:33, Polar Maritime said:

Some of the white Lillys are coming out now, Should smell wonderful over the coming days.

20160822_182632.jpg

its 'scent' not 'smell' , lol... smell suggests something unpleasant!  beauties!

• Like 1

On 26 August 2016 at 10:53, jtay said:

This is my first year as an apple grower. We planted two 3ft trees in June and check out this incredible harvest.

IMGP0810_sm.jpg

:laugh:

Edit - Now I have to wait until next year for another.

Tree looks nice and healthy. Assume Tescos haven't been in touch for you to supply them next year. 

• Like 1

Yet more watering today, even the big trees on the rec are looking wilted now, hope they don't die.

Greenhouses need watering everyday and some of the stuff in pots need twice a day. On the plus side my pink Oleander (from a cutting I took from a bush in Greece) is flowering like  crazy :D

On 29 August 2016 at 21:41, interested & confused said:

Yet more watering today, even the big trees on the rec are looking wilted now, hope they don't die.

Greenhouses need watering everyday and some of the stuff in pots need twice a day. On the plus side my pink Oleander (from a cutting I took from a bush in Greece) is flowering like  crazy :D

Fortunately not on a water meter so can use a hose as well as water butt water.

Started clearing out the greenhouse as tomatoes pretty well finished. Still got piles ripening outside but getting to stage where blight might become problem. Greenhouse will be used for cuttings and other plants to over winter. 

Very autumnal feel about garden now. Makes you wish you had done more in the garden during the summer months. Pity it has been a bit of a rubbish summer. 

3 hours ago, interested & confused said:

I picked sweetcorn as well,  yesterday :)

Mine was small:sorry: