Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

Team Gb Football Team

It's not long until Stewart Pearce will name his 23 man squad for the Men's Olympic Football Tournemant. Despite the Olympics not being football's main event, to get a Gold Medal would be an achievment and the tournemant is pretty significant. Stewart Pearce can only name 3 players who are over the age of 23 in his squad and this will be a hot topic with veterans like Beckham, Scholes, Giggs capable of being in squad as well as fringe England National Team Players or stand out players like Grant Holt who is unlikely to play for England. And what about the national team players of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland who missed out on qualification for the Euros - shouldn't they be in with a chance?

The squad is also made up of 20 talented young footballers from the 4 nations and there is plenty of competition for places. Will it be a mainly a strong English squad or a very well balanced squad representing the 4 nations?

Team GB are in Group A along with Uruguay, UAE and Senegal.

So what are your views on this unique British footballing moment and who do you think should be included in the squad - does Beckham really deserve to be in there?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My squad consists of 7 English, 7 Scottish, 6 Welsh and 3 Northern Irish footballers. My 3 over 23 yrs players are Goalkeeper Allan McGregor, midfielder David Beckham and Midfielder Ryan Giggs. I've been cautious about potential Euro 2012 players for England so it's likely that more English players will be availabe once the England squad is anounced. Other older footballers in for a run in of course include Paul Scholes, Phil Neville, Craig Bellamy and Darren Fletcher.

GK:

Allan McGregor - SCO

Jack Butland - ENG

Jason Steele - ENG

DF:

Phil Jones - ENG

Danny Wilson - SCO

Adam Matthews - WAL

Craig Cathcart - NIR

Chris Gunter - WAL

Ryan McGivern - NIR

Stephen Caulker - ENG

Grant Hanely - SCO

MF:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - ENG

Barry Bannan - SCO

James Forrest - SCO

Gareth Bale - WAL

Ryan Giggs - WAL

Aaron Ramsey - WAL

David Beckham - ENG

Tom Clevery - ENG

FW:

David Goodwillie - SCO

Johnny Russel - SCO

Sam Vokes - WAL

Andy Carrol - ENG

Josh McQuoid - NIR

I think the problem is that not many people really care about the GB football team.

In a way that's very true.

But from my team, I think there a few players in with a decent shout. Neil Taylor [Welsh full international] has played in most games this season and has impressed. Steven Caulker (England u-21) could also have a chance as could Scott Sinclair (England u-21). Joe Allen [Welsh full international] also has a chance, Josh McEachran although not playing much for us has been named in the latest squad as well. All of these players were born after 1 Jan 1989, the cut-off for overage players.

I think the problem is that not many people really care about the GB football team.

Or indeed the Olympics!

Or indeed the Olympics!

what is the biggest sporting event on the planet...the olympics or the world cup?

what is the biggest sporting event on the planet...the olympics or the world cup?

Surely it has to be the Carnkie Cloggers.

I am more interested in the Paralympics team tbh, I know a couple of possible inclusions. The standard will not be bad and it will be very competitive.

I would have thought it depends on the individual person's preference and likes?

Anyway, as the thread is alive with opinions and general chatter on the GB football team for the 2012 Olympics, I'll take a hasty retreat.

The team has been announced, and much surprised that one of England leading players has not been named despite getting on a bit, he has done so much for English football, and was one of the cleanest strikers of a ball. I real for very sorry for

Jimmy Greaves

onto the real squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/18161304

I'm astonished at the fuss in the media about Beckham not making it into the squad. Why would he be considered, apart from the fact that he said he'd like to be? If he's not deemed worthy of being in the England squad, why should he be in the Olympic squad?

He has at least as much right to be included as Ryan Giggs! He seems to have been chosen purely on sentiment, seeing as he's Welsh so has never played in a proper tournament. His main contribution to Man U last season seeemed to be moaning at referees. I always imagine him soundinlg like the old Spitting Image Queen Mother, going up to refs & saying "I'm 37 you know!" Beckham would seem to have a stronger case after all the effort he put into securing the games. Since nobody actually gives a damn whether we win or not, I think he should have been given a place.

I feel sorry for the couple of Scots who may have been good enough, but I'm afraid your FA did for you. Biggest blow to the squad would seem to be Gareth Bale, his only chance to play on the world stage gone.

He has at least as much right to be included as Ryan Giggs! He seems to have been chosen purely on sentiment, seeing as he's Welsh so has never played in a proper tournament. His main contribution to Man U last season seeemed to be moaning at referees. I always imagine him soundinlg like the old Spitting Image Queen Mother, going up to refs & saying "I'm 37 you know!" Beckham would seem to have a stronger case after all the effort he put into securing the games. Since nobody actually gives a damn whether we win or not, I think he should have been given a place.

I feel sorry for the couple of Scots who may have been good enough, but I'm afraid your FA did for you. Biggest blow to the squad would seem to be Gareth Bale, his only chance to play on the world stage gone.

Hardly the world stage though is it?...i have never watched football at the Olympics..i have know idea who won it last or am i remotely interested...i associate the Olympics with athletics, gymnastics, swimming and to a degree rowing (because we are good at that) because other sports like football and tennis have their own huge tournaments the Olympics for those sports seems kind of irrelevant.

Given the progress Wales have made in recent year, how can you say that, World Ranked 35 and now in the top 24 European ranked nations, and with 24 in subsequent Euros, this really improves our chances. Of course, Welsh fans biggest regret is that we will never know how we would have done with Gary Speed over the next few years. cray.gif

Beckham was over the hill years ago, I would always have picked Giggs over him, and at any stage of their career.

I'm not happy that the SFA decided that they didn't want Scottish players because our existence as an independent football team could be threatened. I think it was clear that no teams' future would be in trouble. There are World Cups and Euro Champs, Leagues and Domestic Cups, European Cups and Olympics when it comes to football and I feel that the few Scottish players good enough to get in the squad missed out in a once in a lifetime chance to represent Great Britian at the London Olympics - which is going to be such an unique occasion and it seems wrong that not all of the British FAs are in this together with this one off and it seems to spoil the Olympic spirit.

When looking at the Olympic Squad, I'd say that the likes of Danny Wilson, James Forrest, Barry Bannan would have been picked if it weren't for the SFA saying no.The only involvement Scotland will have in the football is a few games at Hampdem. I'm looking forward to seeing Spain's 3 Euro Championship winners and the likes of De Gea, Tello and Muniain play for Spain in Glasgow.

I'm surprised that there's only 5 Welsh players, especially with young talent like Adam Matthews not being picked. Pleased that Ryan Giggs is there as he deserves an olympic medal.

Pleased that Ryan Giggs is there as he deserves an olympic medal.

Why what has he ever done in the Olympics?..i think he has done alright really...premier league titles, FA cups, champions league winning medals even a super injunction to his name..so not as though he has never won anything?

i think he has done alright really...

Ha, he's done alright - can you name a more succesful player than Giggs. Not only the success if Brilliant, but the quality of play and length of career has been fantastic and best of all he's Welsh and it would be fantastic for him to play in this one off and get an Olympic medal - he'll may never get one again, so to have an olympic medal in football is unique and for Ryan Giggs to get one would be great - I really hope Team GB go far in the football.

Who really cares about football at the Olympics, much as tennis, the Olympics should only be for sports that winning gold is the highest achievement, I would happily see several of these kicked out and replaced by others that are more deserving of their place.

Does anyone else think the attitudes of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish FAs has been pathetic and childish?

And I'm looking forward to it, got tickets for the first Team GB match at Old Trafford. £20 for two football matches - bargain!!

Does anyone else think the attitudes of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish FAs has been pathetic and childish?

And I'm looking forward to it, got tickets for the first Team GB match at Old Trafford. £20 for two football matches - bargain!!

So would you be happy then if FIFA said no more England team. Course you wouldn't rofl.gif

From my point of view happy to see Welsh players involved, just hope that the guarantees that were obtained before the Olympics about the future of independent countries is honoured.

So would you be happy then if FIFA said no more England team. Course you wouldn't rofl.gif

From my point of view happy to see Welsh players involved, just hope that the guarantees that were obtained before the Olympics about the future of independent countries is honoured.

They wouldn't dare it is simple as that..can you imagine the outcry from countries like Germany. Portugal and Italy???...who would they have to beat on penalties in World cups and European championships?

Personally I wouldn't really care. I would support a GB side just as much as an English side. And the relevant authorities have said time and time again nothing would happen to the individual nations.

Does anyone actually care about this? I mean real football is back soon and after Euro 2012 watching the Dulux factory test paint sounds more interesting.

Sorry but yawn yawn over this whole olympic thing!

Does anyone actually care about this? I mean real football is back soon and after Euro 2012 watching the Dulux factory test paint sounds more interesting.

Sorry but yawn yawn over this whole olympic thing!

Yes, we do.

I do too. We're about to witness the greatest sporting event in the world right here in our own country. For 17 days most of the world's attention will be focussed here. I think that's great.

I do too. We're about to witness the greatest sporting event in the world right here in our own country. For 17 days most of the world's attention will be focussed here. I think that's great.

The moaners are driving me up the wall. Yeah it's cost billions, but we bid for it before the proverbial hit the fan. It's a once in a lifetime sporting event and I'm really looking forward to it all. I'm gutted I haven't got any tickets for the proper events but the BBC coverage looks superb.