Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 1981, 1986 And 1989 Any Bbc Video Forecast Footage?

damianslaw

Posted

This thread is particularly aimed at Mr Data, who in recent weeks has been putting up some excellent footage of old bbc forecasts from the mid 90's.

However, I'd loved to see footage from the cold spells that occured during April 1981, 1986 and 1989, a tall order is has to be said, especially 1981 as I have seen very little footage of any forecasts from the year 1981 on the whole, including the winter of 81/82.

Unusually also there appears to be limited available footage on the internet of any forecasts from 1989 and to a lesser extent 1986.

We are talking 23 years ago now at least so perhaps not surprising to see little footage.

Anyway if there is no footage, it would be good to hear peoples' memories of these months, read about any particular events, see stats from these months. April 1981 brought an exceptionally severe cold spell from the 20th-27th and unusually for so late in the season low level snow. April 1986 was very cold with high pressure an easterlies/northeasterlies dominating, the third month in a row with such synoptics, I always marvel at 1986 and how persistant cold highs were that year, August and Sept were anomanously cold as well, though the last three months were very mild. April 1989 was very unusual as it came in the middle of a very warm period indeed Dec 88 - Oct 89 produced month after month of much milder weather than normal.

Posted

might be on, look up bismuthcadmium on youtube, videos are all great, much better bbc weather,

Lol thats me!! :p

I'm afraid my videos only go back to January 1993. I wasn't even in the country in 1981. I have seen a forecast from 28th December 1981 but I think we will have to wait to see if anyone has forecasts that far back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

While we are on the topic of retro BBC forecasts, there are excellent ones on you tube from the 1987 and 1991 cold snaps but the ones i would love to see are the countryfile forecasts from the 11th January 1987 and the 3rd february 1991, i remember the 1991 one was Ian McCaskill and he opened up with the words 'The coldest spell of weather for four years'. If anyone does requests or knows of anywhere you can find historical BBC forecasts, i would be most gratefull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I wish the bbc forecasts were still like the 90's and early 00's, the graphics are crap now, much worse

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The one thing that really annoys me is when they zoom into 3d, a la google earth even, in some instances, you cannot see any more than if they just left the map 2d, im all for things evolving but only if they also improve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I remember the BBC forecast on the evening of Saturday 12th December 1981. I don't recall who was forecasting but one feature was the male forecaster saying he had to have new symbols cut earlier that day (blue discs denoting temperatures below -20 deg.C). There was a blue '-13' disc over central Southern England and '-20' over West Scotland. Indeed, Fleet (Hampshire) had a min. temp. of -13 deg.C late Saturday evening (after -11 deg.C by 6 pm on the Saturday) and temperatures were slowly rising as the cloud from Sunday 13th's blizzard was advancing. This was the occasion when -24.9 deg.C was reached at Shawbury.

Posted

Lol thats me!! :p

I'm afraid my videos only go back to January 1993. I wasn't even in the country in 1981. I have seen a forecast from 28th December 1981 but I think we will have to wait to see if anyone has forecasts that far back.

Thanks for the reply Mr Data. As I suspected we will have to wair and see if anyone has any forecasts going back beyond 1993. I doubt many will have them for the Aprils' I mentioned, but who knows...

Its been great seeing the footage you have been putting up, the mid 90's being an era I remember particularly well indeed.

There are some good bbc forecasts from wintry spells in Feb 85, Feb 86, Jan 87 and Feb 91, and even as far back as late jan 79 - very rare and special indeed. I have seen a couple from 1981/1982 often on the back of news footage. Also one or two from 1989 and 1990, but I am surprised at the lack of footage overall from the late 80's and era when VHS was everywhere...

The old forecasts are far superior than the current ones as they showed the synoptic charts and went out 3-4 days regularly, they have got better in the last 2-3 years but still a far cry from the pre 05 days.

• 7 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Just been watching a Michael Fish forecast from January 1979 during which he states  'it's a lot milder than recently with temperatures in southern areas reaching 5c, not far from normal'

Not far from normal! These days 5c maximum in southern England is an Arctic blast! Lol

Just type 1979 weather forecast into Google and remember better times.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
On 19/02/2020 at 22:29, Penrith Snow said:

Not far from normal! These days 5c maximum in southern England is an Arctic blast! Lol

How things have changed! 

• 10 months later...
Posted
On 19/02/2020 at 14:29, Penrith Snow said:

Just been watching a Michael Fish forecast from January 1979 during which he states  'it's a lot milder than recently with temperatures in southern areas reaching 5c, not far from normal'

Just type 1979 weather forecast into Google and remember better times.

Andy

I dunno what you  mean as I get random weather stuff with just the words 1979 when I type that in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

blob:https://www.youtube.com/81262702-b933-4d11-a727-467ab620c261

Try this, copy and paste into your browser, should take you to the video clip.

Michaels comment is 2mins in.

We have come a long way since then!

Andy

Posted

Came into this thread thinking it would be talking about the April's in its title, alas talk is of Jan 1979. Perhaps start a new thread about Jan 1979. I may just do that..